This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New WCHA is dead

The UA system has seen this before. Alabama's Education Trust Fund is largely founded on sales tax revenue, so when the economy craters, we're in trouble. As many states do, the Alabama state Constitution (the longest constitution of any democratic body in the world) requires the state's budget to be balanced. In Alabama, funding cuts in the middle of the year are termed as "pro-ration", and they come middle of the year. In 2001, it was something like 6% for the entire ETF, and for a lot of BS reasons, it ended up being foisted all on higher education, and because of the timing, it would've been zero state funding from late February to the end of June.

That generated lots of student unrest, some of which I led. I may have confronted the Governor in his office and nearly been arrested leading a protest at the airport for which I didn't have a permit.

Have you ever heard of the Seattle Seven? That was me ... and six other guys.

To the students: take up the mantle. Protest. Vote. Remember. Act.

[That said, having had to fill out more government background checks today, I'm super glad that I didn't get arrested...]
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Money quote: "Athletics are a luxury to have" says one of the regents.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
        I believe that was Sandeen. Edit: Nope, it was Regent Gloria O’Neill. Not Sandeen.
        Last edited by Suze; 07-16-2019, 12:34 AM.
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          I am also live reporting the meeting over on the other thread.
          I watched too for a while. Thanks for the updates.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
            I believe that was Sandeen.
            And I know you know Suze but others may not.
            Sandeen is the UAA Chancellor. She is not a Regent.
            Not good.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
              And I know you know Suze but others may not.
              Sandeen is the UAA Chancellor. She is not a Regent.
              Not good.
              That's why I corrected the initial statement. Did you watch? When she started talking they put up her name and title on the screen.
              I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Not a good sign

Comment

Sandeen is UAA Chancellor not a Regent.
                  Makes it even worse.
                  Regents set the money and administration (including Chancellor) makes the cuts.

Comment

Sandeen is UAA Chancellor not a Regent.
                    Makes it even worse.
                    Regents set the money and administration (including Chancellor) makes the cuts.
                    I was told that someone put the wrong caption on the screen, incorrectly stating it was Sandeen speaking, when in fact it was Regent Gloria O’Neill that made the comment about Athletics being a luxury. Not Sandeen.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I suspect both athletic programs may be gone. Fairbanks for sure. But if they want to maintain the facade of a quality university, they may keep athletics at UAA (sans hockey). They have a top rated facility and most of their teams are competitive. Plus, that approach would fit in with the “one accredited university” movement. The optics would be that athletics took a 40% budget hit, or whatever. And I’m sure their bookstore would give all Nanooks a break on all their Seawolf swag.

Comment

https://kingeconomicsgroup.com/fight...jlPsOo6Xu-DPhA

Excellent article about the financial situation in Alaska.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                          I was told that someone put the wrong caption on the screen, incorrectly stating it was Sandeen speaking, when in fact it was Regent Gloria O’Neill that made the comment about Athletics being a luxury. Not Sandeen.
                          Have you ever met Gloria O'Neill?
                          Let's just leave it at she is beyond in love with herself.

Comment

Have you ever met Gloria O'Neill?
                            Let's just leave it at she is beyond in love with herself.
                            It's the greatest love of all! It's easy to achieve!

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Seems as if politics will play a bigger role in the future than the actual revenue the state gets.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I'm guessing that UAH will survive this turmoil. That program has found a way for years and years against all reasonable odds.

I'm rooting for the AK teams, but looking at Suze's posts, I have my serious doubts. Just too far away from everyone else, and not a good choice for any team in the 48.

Comment

Working...
                                X