Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston College Eagles 2019-20 - No Chit!

The Original Dope Detector theprofromdover's Avatar

Re: Boston College Eagles 2019-20 - No Chit!

I have two center ice seats for BC at PC available to a BC fan. We're leaving for Germany that evening. PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Against Bryant. This past week he did squat in a 42-7 beatdown from Harvard.

I'm sure if we kept him around he would light it up vs Clemson.
    Still believe he is better than your current QB......
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Exhibition games usually don't bring in much of a crowd but what is the reason for a 2PM start Saturday while the football team game is still on at Louisville? Even less will show up than usual. The women's hockey team is away at Syracuse so that does not interfere either. Either they need to cover the ice for an event on Sunday and want it done early as a night game still could get it done in plenty of time or most likely New Brunswick needs to get out of town right away and up to Maine to stay overnight there for a 4PM game Sunday.

No surprise BC loses at Louisville with this horrible coach 🏈

Hockey is a work in progress and only an exhibition game

But good to see new faces and new blood

Boldy looked good and they generated offense

Passing needs improvement 🦅

Quote Originally Posted by BCeagle View Post

No surprise BC loses at Louisville with this horrible coach
    Never won more that 7 games in any of his 6 previous season so they decide to extend his contract for 2 years. They'll be lucky to win 5 this year.
    A bad cause requires many words.

At this point they might be lucky to even win one more game this year.

Wild fan coming in peace. Is there any way to catch the Boldy and McBain highlights? Did Boldy play center?

Holding court

I don't know if you'll find highlights for this one but Boldy had a shift that was eerily similar to his draft reel, dangled on a few players, curled back around and dangled between the legs of one UNB player a second time. He looked great. McBain is just a huge dude with huge upside (as with all players that size). Also, see below regarding Marshall Warren. He had a "holy-chit-he's-good" kind of game on Saturday. Could be a huge steal for the Wild in this draft.

A few comments/impressions:
    - Some caveats, BC looked great last year in the exhibition and turned out to be a terrible team. I thought UNB looked great and made life difficult for BC, really sound fundamentals defensively from these guys, good sticks in passing lanes, etc. They impressed me so I take the win as a positive. It was a dismal first period only salvaged by two late goals. Second period BC looked fantastic and really started picking it up. Third period was just meh.
    - Bad stuff out of the way first, the players that stunk previously still stink and overall the team took way too many penalties, particularly in the first which they spent most of that frame killing penalties and struggling to get any flow to the game.
    - The freshmen all looked good. Marshall Warren was tremendous - tough to put into perspective how good he looked, I haven't seen a BC Dman look this good on both ends since we had Dumoulin. He ended up cranked one off the pipe shorthanded in the second period coming down the wing on a one-on-one I believe. Helleson was also very, very good. These two guys can flip a sketchy defense into a formidable unit if the coaching staff has even the slightest idea of how to put the best lineup together. Knight, Newhook, and Boldy also looked great and I would not sleep on Hardman, who had a goal. Likewise on D, I would not sleep on Mitch Andres. Whatever he's listed at on the roster for height (6'1") has to be wrong, he's a monster (200+ lbs) and should be molded into THE defensive defenseman and the coaches should ask him to obliterate anyone that goes near Knight's crease.
    - The pieces are here. Injuries and bad coaching are the two biggest concerns this year. If they are healthy, it comes down to putting the best lineup on the ice, which has been a problem for the better part of this decade. Defense particularly for this year's squad. Helleson and Warren absolutely have to play from Day 1 from what I'm seeing, they may be the two best Dmen on the team already. Finkelstein didn't really look great Sat. but you have to think he's locked in as well and Connor Moore also likely is locked in (although there is some debate on him). Mattila is locked in to a spot. So... it comes down to the 6th spot. #2 had another "not-great" game this weekend. I'm not sure if he can turn the corner and become serviceable for us. And you could probably say the same thing for #3 although I believe he had an assist Saturday. I think you seriously consider making them bench players or dress them as a 7th Dman on rotation and get Mitch Andres in there as the 6th guy and see what he can do. Important to consider, Andres adds a third left-handed option for the 6th spot (last LD pairing), #2 and #3 are both lefties.

It's still early but that's what I saw on Saturday.

ps - I'd like to dedicate my first post of the season in memory of SteveG.
    Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 10-07-2019 at 11:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Maine is god awful but noticed UNB beat them 5-0 yesterday. I know UNB is always one of the best college programs up there.

Given that they only really have Walker and Carreau as extra forwards I think they'll be dressing 7 dmen most nights. They should get more of an impact out of dressing 7 d then they would dressing either of those forwards.

Injuries will happen but if they run into spots where they are down 2-3 forwards at the same time, that will be a problem. Grando would have looked real good in Giles' spot or Greco's. Just that extra depth piece could have gone a long way.

Doggie Out! Afuera!

Some players/things looked promising. But as stated below, they looked good in the exhibition game last year too. I remember everyone oohing and aahing over how Wahlstrom looked in the exhibition game and what a great shot he has! We all know how that turned out.

First period was blase. Second period they looked great. Third period was like the 8th inning of a Little League baseball game where the coach is getting in all the players who haven't played yet, so I think it was highly unrepresentative of both the team and how it will be deployed when the games count.

All of the freshmen looked promising. I just wish they had more than 3 freshman forwards. Granted two of them are 1st round draft picks, and Hardman looks like he has potential as well, but it would been good if they could have brought in say 5 freshman forwards and have some of the lower line guys switch uniforms for suits because depth up front is still going to be a problem.

As for #3, I got a lot of grief on this board for saying it last year, but I'll say it again, as long as his father is on the coaching staff, he's playing a regular shift, period. Like it or not, deserving or not.
    The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
    BC - 12
    BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Well there's only one more year to go of that!

I think the seniors are part of the team that still stink

Last year it was Kim and Fitz

As seniors you hope Mattillas can contribute with new blood to help

Rasinen is also deadwood but maybe weíll see something from him

But with more big bodies and talent the defense should be improved and more offense we hope

As far as coaching I donít have a high regard for the assistant coaches except maybe Brown before he left to join the rangers

But maybe with better talent the coaches will do a better job this year

To be honest I am not impressed by McGinnis, Buckley and the coach who played goalie for UNH who escapes my mind at the moment

I am not sure if they deserve to be picked preseason number one in hockey East after the disastrous season last year

But they cannot be any worse than last year I am sure or hope they wonít repeat last season

I think the seniors are part of the team that still stink

Last year it was Kim and Fitz

As seniors you hope Mattillas can contribute with new blood to help

Rasinen is also deadwood but maybe weíll see something from him

But with more big bodies and talent the defense should be improved and more offense we hope

As far as coaching I donít have a high regard for the assistant coaches except maybe Brown before he left to join the rangers

But maybe with better talent the coaches will do a better job this year

To be honest I am not impressed by McGinnis, Buckley and the coach who played goalie for UNH who escapes my mind at the moment

I am not sure if they deserve to be picked preseason number one in hockey East after the disastrous season last year

But they cannot be any worse than last year I am sure or hope they wonít repeat last season
    Mike Ayers?

Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    Mike Ayers?
    Itís appropriate coaching goalies but is he responsible for coaching the pp ?

Itís been abysmal for 2-3 years the BC power play

Puck movement and sense of urgency are terrible

Last year it looked so disorganized and lacked urgency often

Bad passing decisions and bad decisions with the puck

Doggie Out! Afuera!

I am not sure if they deserve to be picked preseason number one in hockey East after the disastrous season last year. But they cannot be any worse than last year I am sure or hope they wonít repeat last season
    There's no way a team that won only 14 games last year should be picked 1st preseason. It's almost entirely on the backs on the freshmen and that is much to expect from freshman, even a class with three first round picks. 18 and 19 year olds, even highly talented ones often find it a struggle when in some cases they are playing against 23 year olds, i.e. grown men. That's why I think Hardman could be an important development for BC, a 20 year old freshman, who is more mature and a grown man himself. Still bring in the Newhooks and Boldys, but perhaps it will turn out that mixing in some older recruits will help.
    The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
    BC - 12
    BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

The coaching is not the problem, although I think McGinness behind the bench and his son on the ice is less than optimal. At least his other son is going to NU. We are still recovering from the losses of 2016. This year no more excuses, we have real talent up front, Cotton and Hustko are going to be tough for any defense to handle, just stay healthy. Big question is in goal, is Knight going to win the job and can he play up to the next level. Wohl struggled at times in his Freshman year.
    Looking forward to this, tough early schedule with a lot of away games. Win an OOC game this Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by Cross Check View Post
    There's no way a team that won only 14 games last year should be picked 1st preseason. It's almost entirely on the backs on the freshmen and that is much to expect from freshman, even a class with three first round picks. 18 and 19 year olds, even highly talented ones often find it a struggle when in some cases they are playing against 23 year olds, i.e. grown men. That's why I think Hardman could be an important development for BC, a 20 year old freshman, who is more mature and a grown man himself. Still bring in the Newhooks and Boldys, but perhaps it will turn out that mixing in some older recruits will help.
    I agree that it is a lot to ask of the freshmen. I also think that if BC had not upset UMass and made it to the HE title game, they wouldn't have been picked first. It allowed some to think "the RS was an anomaly, they hit their stride, almost won the HE championship, and would have been in the NCAAs if they had player better early on."
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    I agree that it is a lot to ask of the freshmen. I also think that if BC had not upset UMass and made it to the HE title game, they wouldn't have been picked first. It allowed some to think "the RS was an anomaly, they hit their stride, almost won the HE championship, and would have been in the NCAAs if they had player better early on."
    If BC played the first 25 games like they played the last 6 it would have been a different season for sure. Not sure there is any one team that well above the top 4, it will be another dogfight and I expect BU, UMASS and NU will be there at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Cross Check View Post
    Look at Wahlstrom last year

A lot was expected but he was like another body out there for the most part
    NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Quote Originally Posted by theprofromdover View Post
    I have two center ice seats for BC at PC available to a BC fan. We're leaving for Germany that evening. PM me.
    I will buy them from you if you still have them
    NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Thread Information