Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston College Eagles 2019-20 - No Chit!

Re: Boston College Eagles 2019-20 - No Chit!

BC posted the roster for returning players ( not the incoming freshman). Grando is gone and it looks like they brought back Casey Carreau who played in the USHL last year. He had a mediocre year with Des Moines getting 9 points in nearly 30 games.

Full roster now up including the 8 freshmen. https://bceagles.com/roster.aspx?path=mhockey

Article about the 8 freshmen from the BC official site: https://bceagles.com/news/2019/8/1/m...s-of-2023.aspx

No Grando as mentioned. News of his transfer must be upcoming. Carreau will have lots of competition for a 4th line spot. I wonder if he was groomed for a F/D position that Jerry likes to have on the roster. Eight Defensemen including 2 draft picks this year and another freshman makes for an interesting competition for the top 6 spots.

Kinda makes sense that Grando would look to transfer. I think he would be a fourth liner on this team but he’s a pretty good player. I though he had a pretty good freshman year in particular. Makes me cautiously optimistic about the this year. I also though Jack McBain showed the kind of grit last year that has been part of the character of the best bc teams. (I’d take him over Wahlstrom.) It just didn’t show on the scoreboard—actually no one one the team but cotton showed up on the scoreboard. Hopefully this year that will change. Pair mcbain with Newhook and Hardman and set the BCHL loose on hockey east! Also think McPhee needs to step up in a major way.

Holding court

I agree with all of the points being made. I thought Grando was a nice player - good luck to him. I can only assume the staff struggled to get a good role for him and didn't feel he was quite dynamic enough to add offense but too small to be effective defensively. So maybe we're seeing a preference of the staff to go big on the defensive forward 4th line. McBain was largely not talked about much but there is a lot there to work with and if he can put it together look out - he started coming around towards the end of the season. Cotton was dominant at the end of the season as was Hutsko. Those two could be scary. Carreau returning is a bit surprising but hopefully he is groomed for a physical 4th line role over 4 years. Put him and Greco (I still like this kid) together for a Price/Lombardi combo and see what happens. Maybe put them with McPhee, who has a lot of room for improvement but similar to McBain, there is a lot of upside with the size he has, he just needs to be smarter and avoid bad penalties.

DEFENSE.... I don't know if we know what we're going to get. Karow had some ghastly games last year but still like his upside. McInnis is McInnis - he's going to play. Moore is going to have to be consistently good as a shutdown guy and log lots of minutes. I like Mattila as a hybrid dman. Finkelstein could be the hinge on this crop of Dmen (oh no he hurts someone's feelz). Newcomers here will set the tone for this whole set of Dmen. Tough position to be great at right out of the gate. But not impossible. Hopefully Knight can erase a lot of mistakes and let them play with some more confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Leaving quality out of it, it's a balanced roster. 8 dmen and 15 forwards is usually what you're looking for.

Andres is your 8th dman. With the new rule last year of adding a skater, you'll probably see nights where all other dmen dress. If you're down a dman, probably go back to the traditional 6 and then dress an extra forward.

Kinda disappointed Grando is transferring. I thought he was a good role player but he must see a greater opportunity for him at ASU. Nothing wrong with that, best of luck to him.

I think we'll see a top 12 forwards of:

Cotton
    Hutsko
    Mattila
    Boldy
    Newhook
    McPhee
    McBain
    McLaughlin
    Rasanen
    Giles
    Greco
    Hardman

The depth after that isn't great as I wouldn't expect much from Walker and Carreau.

After looking at that, I'd feel a lot better with someone like Grando on the team but it is what it is.

One thing that stands out to me is a logjam at LW:

Cotton
    Boldy
    McPhee
    McBain

That's only 4 but they're going to need these guys in the top nine so someone will be in a different position. Believe McBain was recruited as a center (and he did ok on faceoffs last year) so maybe you see:

Cotton-Mattila-Hutsko
    Boldy-Newhook-McLaughlin
    McPhee-McBain-Giles
    Hardman-Rasanen-Greco

That's the type of lineup you're looking at.
    Last edited by J.D.; 08-02-2019 at 10:54 AM.

And then:

Mattila-Finkelstein
    Karow-Moore
    McInnis-Helleson
    Warren

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Leaving quality out of it, it's a balanced roster. 8 dmen and 15 forwards is usually what you're looking for.

Andres is your 8th dman. With the new rule last year of adding a skater, you'll probably see nights where all other dmen dress. If you're down a dman, probably go back to the traditional 6 and then dress an extra forward.

Kinda disappointed Grando is transferring. I thought he was a good role player but he must see a greater opportunity for him at ASU. Nothing wrong with that, best of luck to him.

I think we'll see a top 12 forwards of:

Cotton
    Hutsko
    Mattila
    Boldy
    Newhook
    McPhee
    McBain
    McLaughlin
    Rasanen
    Giles
    Greco
    Hardman

The depth after that isn't great as I wouldn't expect much from Walker and Carreau.
    I hope Mattila (Julius) can add more production in his senior year.

With hopefully more offence the Defense will not look as suspect.

Spencer Knight hopefully can cover the defensive lapses

Sorry to see Grando go but can't blame him and good luck to him
    NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Looking at Heisenberg’s site it looks like former commit (who was supposed to come in next year) Jacques Bouquet is on UVMs roster this year as an incoming freshman. BC picked up a commit from a Ct. kid, Posma who will play in the USHL next year, to replace him.

Seems like BC is recruiting more New England kids than they have in a long time. Also less USNDT kids, which I’m fine with. That strategy hasn’t worked well at all for the past two or three years.

Also the list of commits on Heisenberg’s site is WAY shorter than it used to be. I view that as a good thing as it seems over half of these multi year commitments never show up on campus (TJ Walsh, the Moynihan kid that’s going to Providence, and the whole Seidem family) The multi year commitments really limits recruiting flexibility and it makes you have to ask kids to stay in the USHL while the roster changes work their way through. Seems like a pain.

Finally, anyone have any insight into Luke Tuch going to BU. Was BC interested in him? Seems like a no brainer given that his brother was one of the better players to come through BC in recent history.

I don't know if Alex didn't enjoy his time here or if the staff felt jilted when he left. Then again maybe the kid just liked the BU situation better. Although he committed when Quinn was HC, right?

I don't know if Alex didn't enjoy his time here or if the staff felt jilted when he left. Then again maybe the kid just liked the BU situation better. Although he committed when Quinn was HC, right?
    It seems something is amiss or not going right with all these things happening lately with players and recruits.

Football begins Saturday already at the Heights.
    NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Quote Originally Posted by BCeagle View Post
    It seems something is amiss or not going right with all these things happening lately with players and recruits.

Football begins Saturday already at the Heights.
    that being said Ray, do we know, at this time ,that all the new kids are on campus now? I guess no news is good news for this.

Just because a guy chooses a rival doesn't mean very much. BC and BU are fishing in the same pond so you are going to land some and some will get away. Not sure if he was a BC target. Good memories of ALex's OT goal in the Beanpot. Hockey season is 6 weeks away. Can't wait.

Albie likely recruited him originally so might not be much of a Quinn commit

Opposite Girl

What is up with your football recruits?? Two of them have tweeted out their excitement about heading to Boston College University.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    What is up with your football recruits?? Two of them have tweeted out their excitement about heading to Boston College University.
    You must have missed out on the merger, Scarlet.

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by BC/HE View Post
    You must have missed out on the merger, Scarlet.
    Hope we have a padre leading the conglomerate now

Maybe this East Coast merger will match the merger in Alaska?

Quote Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
    that being said Ray, do we know, at this time ,that all the new kids are on campus now? I guess no news is good news for this.
    There were more Hokies it seems than BC fans @ the game Saturday but a good start over an ACC team.

Hopefully the skaters will have a good opening too )

Thread Information