X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: POTUS 45:54: My Polls Are Better Than Your Polls

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Shorter study: conflict makes people aggressive. We organize our adult lives to screen annoying/stupid people out but on social media there they are, in front of us. Social media basically transports us back to high school before you had the power to filter your surroundings and you still had to rub shoulders with terrible people. So you respond... like high school, thinking and acting aggressively. Aggression is fundamentally stupid.

This doesn't happen so much in real life because starting with leaving for college we have organized our lives around getting the f-ck away from the terrible people, and then through peer groups, family, etc, we kept on moving away. It's a rude shock to realize all those losers we left behind are still there, and they have keyboards.
    As a native NoDaker, I have a hard time processing that. We were all the same. It was not until I moved away and met coasties that I realized that some people are stupid and annoying. Quite a few, actually. Thankfully, Dakers are wise too, so I understand what makes them that way.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
      As a native NoDaker, I have a hard time processing that. We were all the same. It was not until I moved away and met coasties that I realized that some people are stupid and annoying. Quite a few, actually. Thankfully, Dakers are wise too, so I understand what makes them that way.
      Sounds like it's oceans.

Or indoor plumbing.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

If course its an oversimplification. Human life is about tendencies not determinism. I took it for granted you understood that. Just one of my biases.

Plenty of people change religion from their parents. If you liked your parents you continue their religion. If you didn't like your parents or you're a contrarian you switch. If you didn't like your parents AND you're a contrarian you probably stay the same.

I'm kidding of course because all contrarians are smart and therefore are atheists.

The problem with you is you take literal things figuratively and figurative things literally. Like that last sentence for instance.
        I dont believe in determinism...in fact I find it to be aggravating on many levels.

No the problem with me is I read what you post and question it because I am not scared away by big words and people who talk like they know everything. I grew up with a Dad like that. He also taught me to question everything even if you are probably wrong because you might turn out to be right. Oftentimes neither side is right but the discussion that comes about BECAUSE of the question probably will get you both closer to the right answer than anything else will.

The problem with you is A) you assume that for various reasons your answer is the right answer B) you like contrarians you just dont like when they are contrary to your thought patterns.

How I interpret people is based on time. Lets be honest you arent one to post sarcasm or irony (unless it is an article in the onion or a cartoon ) and I think you and I both know you love to hear yourself speak ( ) which, while is fun to read and digest also sometimes gets you pontificating into the realm of the BS. Not a big deal usually it insults someone and they dont have the knowledge base to be able to fight back properly. Your metaphors arent veiled, they are quite easy to see and comprehend. So with you, yes I take you more literally than figuratively. You tend to post what you mean the difference is in degree

I myself am different. Sometimes I post ironically, sometimes I post 100% serious, sometimes I am playing Devils Advocate, every so often I am trolling, sometimes it is a mixture of different types. That is who I am in real life, the difference is it is much easier to read in person. Gets me in trouble around here from time to time. it is (one of many) reasons you probably facepalm when you read what I post because I change my style based on factors that most of the time are unknown

All that said, I still think your hypothesis is bunk...but take no offense it has to do with the underlying idea (Determinism) not you. If anyone had posted that I would have responded the same way...though I might have thrown in some wittiness I dont always do with you because I feel it gets lost

(for the record I am closer to David Hume as a Skeptic and the Existentialism of Sartre)

And I hate that you replied while I was deleting! I was going to post something different but now I cant you jerk
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Also, it goes without saying that the security blanket of Internet anonymity goes a long way towards making these arguments go ad hom.
          This is the difference. You restrain your thoughts and reactions when the person is right there in front of you (well you do if you think...which explains the 33% who dont but I digress) but man can it be cathartic to insult a whole group and nothing really bad can come from it.

Of course the problem is that for most of us that is all it is, but for a growing segment it is becoming an lynch mob.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

SHS is looking at running for AR governor. Well technically she's looking at that and the coke machine.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
              The only smart Nodaker is the one who left. The ones that move to Wisconsin though probably just got lost so they dont count
              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                SHS is looking at running for AR governor. Well technically she's looking at that and the coke machine.

And yes...that is Maggie Haberman standing there in a huff because we insulted her source

(I am going to use this gif a lot I feel...especially with you Kepler )
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                  I feel like she’d have done a better job blocking and tackling the guards in North Korea than the new press secretary

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                    I feel like she’d have done a better job blocking and tackling the guards in North Korea than the new press secretary

SHS makes her dad look competent and sane
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      Is that Otis Day?
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        I dont believe in determinism...in fact I find it to be aggravating on many levels.

No the problem with me is I read what you post and question it because I am not scared away by big words and people who talk like they know everything. I grew up with a Dad like that. He also taught me to question everything even if you are probably wrong because you might turn out to be right. Oftentimes neither side is right but the discussion that comes about BECAUSE of the question probably will get you both closer to the right answer than anything else will.

The problem with you is A) you assume that for various reasons your answer is the right answer B) you like contrarians you just dont like when they are contrary to your thought patterns.

How I interpret people is based on time. Lets be honest you arent one to post sarcasm or irony (unless it is an article in the onion or a cartoon ) and I think you and I both know you love to hear yourself speak ( ) which, while is fun to read and digest also sometimes gets you pontificating into the realm of the BS. Not a big deal usually it insults someone and they dont have the knowledge base to be able to fight back properly. Your metaphors arent veiled, they are quite easy to see and comprehend. So with you, yes I take you more literally than figuratively. You tend to post what you mean the difference is in degree

I myself am different. Sometimes I post ironically, sometimes I post 100% serious, sometimes I am playing Devils Advocate, every so often I am trolling, sometimes it is a mixture of different types. That is who I am in real life, the difference is it is much easier to read in person. Gets me in trouble around here from time to time. it is (one of many) reasons you probably facepalm when you read what I post because I change my style based on factors that most of the time are unknown

All that said, I still think your hypothesis is bunk...but take no offense it has to do with the underlying idea (Determinism) not you. If anyone had posted that I would have responded the same way...though I might have thrown in some wittiness I dont always do with you because I feel it gets lost

(for the record I am closer to David Hume as a Skeptic and the Existentialism of Sartre)

And I hate that you replied while I was deleting! I was going to post something different but now I cant you jerk
                        1. The underlying idea isn't determinism. It's the statistical tendency of large groups to display patterned behavior.

2. Everything is provisional and nothing is certain. I could write, "In my opinion and subject to change as additional data becomes available" in front of every sentence. Please take that as read on every sentence. Except Harvard sucks -- that's just established fact.

3. I use the right word, not the "big" one. If it bugs you I can't help you. It's how I talk in Real Life too. It has in fact bugged some people (insecurity) for reasons which I can't know for sure (posturing populism) but could speculate on (some people just enjoy whining).

4. You're right, I actually am always serious, though sometimes I use exaggeration for effect. Pulling chains is a waste of everybody's time so just say what you mean and own it.

5. I LOVE to hear myself speak. In general I appreciate all good art.
                        Cornell University

Comment

In reference to this?

That awkward moment when the smart people are desperately trying not to make eye contact with each other when the dumb person is talking.
                          That is one of the cringiest things I have ever seen.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

The best people.

“BREAKING: ProPublica uncovered a secret Facebook group for thousands of current and former Border Patrol agents filled with derogatory posts, including reported jokes about a 16-year-old migrant who died in US custody or sexist images of Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.”

https://thehill.com/latino/451166-pr...ith-derogatory
                            My favorite part:
                            Another post included an illustration of a smiling President Trump forcing Ocasio-Cortez’s head toward his crotch. The agent who posted the image commented: “That’s right *****es. The masses have spoken and today democracy won.”
                            Last edited by Deutsche Gopher Fan; 07-01-2019, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                              The best people.

“BREAKING: ProPublica uncovered a secret Facebook group for thousands of current and former Border Patrol agents filled with derogatory posts, including reported jokes about a 16-year-old migrant who died in US custody or sexist images of Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.”

https://thehill.com/latino/451166-pr...ith-derogatory
                              My favorite part:
                              Another post included an illustration of a smiling President Trump forcing Ocasio-Cortez’s head toward his crotch. The agent who posted the image commented: “That’s right *****es. The masses have spoken and today democracy won.”

**NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-tank...n-af0677c162ac

The latest wrinkle, according to The Washington Post: Trump has insisted on having tanks and other armed military vehicles present for the celebration.
                                There were likewise concerns that these massive tactical vehicles, some of which can weigh over 60 tons, would damage roads and bridges in the District of Columbia. The D.C. City Council weighed in Monday morning, saying, “Tanks, but no tanks,” and noting concerns about infrastructure damage.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X