Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 116th Congress: Episode 2 The Turtle Has Total Control

Re: 116th Congress: Episode 2 The Turtle Has Total Control

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Sure, but you only gain over other districts' eligible voters if your district has a higher percentage of ineligible voters, so this merely reinforces the preference of people in districts with more ineligible voters to want them to count in the Census. Since Republicans tend to live in districts with a lower percentage of ineligible voters (they think so, anyway -- who knows if it's true?) they want to chop them out of the Census. That's not stupid reasoning. It's just evil and racist (as usual from them).

Am I being dumber than usual here? I still don't see why the righties forcing this through is "dumb." It's corrupt and anti-democratic. But it's pretty smart, assuming you're an obsessed xenophobe with spiders in your soul.
    I guess I used the word dumb because I assumed the opposite. That is, I assumed the more rural districts may have a higher proportion of undocumented workers, principally due to their involvement in the ag industry. But my assumption may also be faulty.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    It's also kind of stupid. If I'm an eligible voter, I want more people who are not eligible voters included in my area. If there are a million of us and we're all eligible voters, my vote is just one in a million. But if there are a million of us and only half are eligible voters, my vote is one in 500,000.
    Yeah, but since children and non-citizen residents primarily live in or near cities, that disproportionately benefits democrats. If you can apportion based on eligible voters only, rural areas will pick up seats at the expense of cities.

The Dark One
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Yeah, but since children and non-citizen residents primarily live in or near cities, that disproportionately benefits democrats. If you can apportion based on eligible voters only, rural areas will pick up seats at the expense of cities.
    I still can't see how the math will work here. Say the census dictates a congressional district is 800K people (again, excluding one or two seat states). I'm Joe Conservative and I want to exclude non-citizens. Great, but you still have to draw the lines to equal the 800K people - only now you're excluding what may equal a full congressional district of its own by not including everyone. In short, if you have 5 seats based on 800K per seat, but you decided to exclude all those people, do you only write the maps to include 4 seats instead and give up one seat or do you write maps where every district has 600K people living in it instead of 800K like the rest of the country has?
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Kicizapi Cetan

Let me start with a simple "thank goodness for Subaru lane assist."

Just now, driving and listening to the local talk channel that tries to be urban and liberal, one of the (geriatric) hosts must've misheard what the four targets of Mr. Trump's most recent Twit-ire are called ("The Squad") and in defending them and railing Trump miscalled them "The Squa_s".

The mystery letter is "w".

I would've been in the ditch without lane assist active.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I still can't see how the math will work here. Say the census dictates a congressional district is 800K people (again, excluding one or two seat states). I'm Joe Conservative and I want to exclude non-citizens. Great, but you still have to draw the lines to equal the 800K people - only now you're excluding what may equal a full congressional district of its own by not including everyone. In short, if you have 5 seats based on 800K per seat, but you decided to exclude all those people, do you only write the maps to include 4 seats instead and give up one seat or do you write maps where every district has 600K people living in it instead of 800K like the rest of the country has?
    The latter, if the GOP gets their way.

Are members of Congress required to disclose money spent on polling during the course of a year? Or are the pollsters paid by other sources anyway and therefore not subject to disclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    Let me start with a simple "thank goodness for Subaru lane assist."

Just now, driving and listening to the local talk channel that tries to be urban and liberal, one of the (geriatric) hosts must've misheard what the four targets of Mr. Trump's most recent Twit-ire are called ("The Squad") and in defending them and railing Trump miscalled them "The Squa_s".

The mystery letter is "w".

I would've been in the ditch without lane assist active.
    That's... petty bad.

TBH I had no idea of the nasty connotations of that word until Dr. Mrs. clued me in a few years ago. I mean, the 1960 Olympics, right?

Last edited by Kepler; 07-17-2019 at 08:50 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I guess I used the word dumb because I assumed the opposite. That is, I assumed the more rural districts may have a higher proportion of undocumented workers, principally due to their involvement in the ag industry. But my assumption may also be faulty.
    And that's why I said "who knows" to whether they're correct -- I can see that argument. But you know Republicans: "them fancy cities are crawling with those lazy coloreds!"

This is just an extension of the rural white nationalism that makes people think having the same number of Senators for Wyoming and California is democratic. Because people in cities are "lesser" in some way. Hmm, what way could that possibly be?
    Last edited by Kepler; 07-17-2019 at 08:46 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Rand Paul blocks the 9-11 first responder bill in the senate.

Heís concerned about spending.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...90kjVgeh7v0xVI

Lucia Apologist

Man, heís scum. Thatís just so ugly.

Apartheid Loving Conservadem!

Rand Paul is a sellout scumbag...
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Kings affiliate

Senator from Kentucky...just not the one I expected to block it.
    Both need to go.

Quote Originally Posted by deutsche gopher fan View Post
    rand paul blocks the 9-11 first responder bill in the senate.

Heís concerned about spending.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...90kjvgeh7v0xvi
    lmao

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    lmao

I mean we canít cut Donnieís golf trips. Gotta cut elsewhere

The Dark One
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom

So, tell me how one Senator can block the bill? Cause if all the other Republicans are a yes then he can't. Mitch could just steamroll it through.
    I think it has something to do with accelerating a bill's passage. As in if it gets unanimous consent it moves forward immediately but if one Senator objects it goes through a more standard and longer process.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I think it has something to do with accelerating a bill's passage. As in if it gets unanimous consent it moves forward immediately but if one Senator objects it goes through a more standard and longer process.
    Yeah, I read the article then deleted my post. Sounds like it will pass it's just Rand being a dick.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

Yeah, I read the article then deleted my post. Sounds like it will pass it's just Rand being a dick.
    I had to look it up too. Basically just more attn. whoring from Rand to make himself look good to his tea party base (at least I think that's the calculation he's making). More or less the type of thing his dad would do too.

Hopefully he only has one neighbor...

Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    Senator from Kentucky...just not the one I expected to block it.
    Both need to go.
    The entire state of Kentucky needs to go. Merge it into Indiana and call it good. Brings like-minded Deplorables together and fixes the Senator problem.

Apartheid Loving Conservadem!

Maybe if we tell them they are cousins they will be naturally drawn together
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Thread Information