• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers III: The Wrath of Warren

My personal choices as of now are:
    1) Mayor Pete
    2) Warren
    3) Harris

After that, no one stands out as of now. Outside of one or two of the remainder (Gabbard for sure being one I couldn't pull the lever for) I'd still vote D in the general, but can't really rank them.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      My personal choices as of now are:
      1) Mayor Pete
      2) Warren
      3) Harris

After that, no one stands out as of now. Outside of one or two of the remainder (Gabbard for sure being one I couldn't pull the lever for) I'd still vote D in the general, but can't really rank them.
      Assume two things: 1) There has been no change between now and next July (even though we know there will be a lot of it); and 2) It's convention week.

Does the electability factor affect your order of choice? If so, are there any other candidates you feel compelled to consider?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        First: holy sh-t you're old!

You voted for Dubya in term 2. You are a Republican. That's basically the critical test.
        W ran against kerry..... kerry is like if hrc had an affair with morgan fairchild. only (ONLY) difference.
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

You voted for Dubya in term 2. You are a Republican. That's basically the critical test.
          1955 BY.

Againt Kerry? My God! If the Ds had run a better candidate (as the GOP should have in 1996), the incumbent would have lost.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

If John Kerry hadn't been smeared by the Swift Boat liars, he would've sent Dubya packing.

Always keep it classy, GOP.

Comment

Correct.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                He would get obliterated in an Indiana Senate race. Indiana's voters are less "we don't like non-white people" (although there are a lot of those) as much as bible thumping "holy matrimony is between one MAN and one WOMAN" people. A guy doing certain things with another guy is hard for them to think about. Of course the simple solution would be just don't think about it, and we Hoosiers (I am one by birth but live in Ohio and claim Michigan as my "home" state) are simple folk, but that's asking far too much.
                I think he'd have a decent shot in a presidential election year with the right candidate on the top of the ticket (see Donnelly/Obama), but not in a midterm. Young's seat isn't up until 2022.

While anecdotal, I get the impression that the big issue here is more gun rights, and less anti-LGBT. I know some pretty hardcore republicans that support most LGBT rights. My company's uber Christian CEO even wrote Pence a strongly worded letter when he signed the religious freedom bill. Trans rights are something they still need to work on, but are getting better. However, don't you dare suggest that gun laws can be constitutional. Scooby would get his RPG's and grenades if were up to Hoosiers.

Then again, I do live and work in Marion County.
                Last edited by MinnesotaNorthStar; 06-30-2019, 02:24 PM.
                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                Originally posted by Quizmire
                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  1955 BY.

Againt Kerry? My God! If the Ds had run a better candidate (as the GOP should have in 1996), the incumbent would have lost.
                  Kerry would have been a million times better than W. *** is wrong with you people?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    That you believe this is a good argument really says it all. Kerry was a cromulent time server major party nominee -- neither good nor bad. Dubya was a craven moron and Cheney was a sociopath war criminal. You had the chance to realize that the guy wearing your jersey was mentally and morally unfit. You failed because you were blinded by partisanship. You are a Republican first, then an American.

It's easy for me to say since we haven't had a terrible Democratic president in my electoral lifetime. You've had two. I'll even give you a pass in 2000 on the idea you could not know for sure what Dubya and Cheney were (though you should have). But voting R in 2004 and then not voting D in 2016 to stop Dump's diseased rot means you totally f-cked up, twice, with knowledge aforethought. You picked your team over your country. You were a bad citizen, twice.

I hope if and when I get a criminal Dem nominee I'll do better than you did.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 06-30-2019, 08:10 PM.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                      No. You have to belong to a party to vote in the primary. If you are unenrolled you can join a party the day of the election (you can’t switch parties the day of though), but then you would have to unenroll later — and why bother to unenroll if you’re never going to vote for the other party because you find them disgusting?
                      I think Massachusetts used to be like that... you could pick either party's ballot which automatically registered you for that party, but then on the way out the door they had forms you could fill out to return to unenrolled if you didn't want to remain registered to that party... seemed like a silly system... why create hurdles and more paperwork to those who wish to remain unenrolled.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                        I think Massachusetts used to be like that... you could pick either party's ballot which automatically registered you for that party, but then on the way out the door they had forms you could fill out to return to unenrolled if you didn't want to remain registered to that party... seemed like a silly system... why create hurdles and more paperwork to those who wish to remain unenrolled.
                        That's exactly what it was. I would vote at Government Center. Walk in as a registered Independent, vote in the Dem primary which automatically registered me as a Dem, then re-registered as an Independent on the way out the door.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          I know Indiana is the Alabama of the north (it's where my 'thumper cousin and her husband live with their brood), I'm just spitballing because I think Buttigieg at VP is a huge waste of his talents.
                          Well he would be wasted more as Mayor of South Bend At least as Veep in 8 years he will be primed for another run at the brass ring.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            1955 BY.

So...you are a Republican then. Might as well just admit it because the only one who doesnt seem to see it is you.

John Kerry was a decorated Vet with decades of experience in office...Dubya was a coked out Ivy Legacy who failed upwards and spent more time on the "Mission Accomplished" speech than he ever did being Militarily inclined. He also couldnt construct a complete sentence if you gave him a noun, verb and adjective.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

That you believe this is a good argument really says it all. Kerry was a cromulent time server major party nominee -- neither good nor bad. Dubya was a craven moron and Cheney was a sociopath war criminal. You had the chance to realize that the guy wearing your jersey was mentally and morally unfit. You failed because you were blinded by partisanship. You are a Republican first, then an American.

It's easy for me to say since we haven't had a terrible Democratic president in my electoral lifetime. You've had two. I'll even give you a pass in 2000 on the idea you could not know for sure what Dubya and Cheney were (though you should have). But voting R in 2004 and then not voting D in 2016 to stop Dump's diseased rot means you totally f-cked up, twice, with knowledge aforethought. You picked your team over your country. You were a bad citizen, twice.

I hope if and when I get a criminal Dem nominee I'll do better than you did.
                              Yeah but they only killed adults so they are ok...
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                Yeah but they only killed adults so they are ok...
                                About that.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X