Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Ak/uaa

Re: Ak/uaa

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    From Louisiana:

"TAF (Tiger Athletic Fund?) is a nonprofit sitting on nearly a half billion dollars in assets, $498.7 million in 2017, and a quarter billion in funds, $244.4 million, according to disclosures filed with the Internal Revenue Service."

#LSU is facing a 3% budget shortfall for the upcoming year, or about $10-14 million via @theadvocatebr. https://t.co/CamdpfGSpr
    https://www.mdjonline.com/neighbor_n...d3c5be725.html

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
    And when you see pictures of the falling apart LSU Library, you wonder on priorities.

"Libraries? We don't need no stinkin' libraries!"

Bullhockey!

Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar

From Louisiana:

"TAF (Tiger Athletic Fund?) is a nonprofit sitting on nearly a half billion dollars in assets, $498.7 million in 2017, and a quarter billion in funds, $244.4 million, according to disclosures filed with the Internal Revenue Service."

#LSU is facing a 3% budget shortfall for the upcoming year, or about $10-14 million via @theadvocatebr. https://t.co/CamdpfGSpr
    Thats basically equal to the LSU system endowment as listed on Wikipedia...$845 million
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Thats basically equal to the LSU system endowment as listed on Wikipedia...$845 million
    I think that's $244.4M in cash, which should be part of the $498.7M.

Drunkard
    I think that's $244.4M in cash, which should be part of the $498.7M.
    Even still, that’s bonkers

Some in the legislature are trying to give UA back 110 million of the 130 million that Dunleavy cut. However, their new bill does not include a full $3000 PFD. It's $1600. I think it will be vetoed again, but I am hoping it goes through!
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

What is the bottom line? Will they be cutting sports or not ?

Never Forget!
    Quote Originally Posted by sm2pk View Post
    We don't know yet. Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by sm2pk View Post
    The UA President speaks about sports. Still to be determined, but at this point they are not cut.
    https://www.webcenter11.com/content/...jifA81YKqeSacE
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    The UA President speaks about sports. Still to be determined, but at this point they are not cut.
    https://www.webcenter11.com/content/...jifA81YKqeSacE
    I wouldn't expect anything less until it is...
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

So would anyone know about the programs by July 30th..?

Based on this sentence, no:

"[We are ] not looking at cutting sports programs at this time. They are however on the table. Again, that is something the Regents will decide in September. "

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post

"[We are ] not looking at cutting sports programs at this time. They are however on the table. Again, that is something the Regents will decide in September. "
    So that could really made things hard for games schedule with either team {UAA & UAF} in terms that nobody will really know and if they do can the programs all teams with games versus these teams will have holes in there schedule that they will not be able to fill in with no time to do so if it will be decided in September....July 30th would to me be a last ditch chance for teams to try and figure how to add games to replace the one's they lose...with that said I am only figuring the teams that are Out of Conference....[example is that UAA is suppose to be @ Maine October 11th/12th]. Oh well it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post

So it's a possibly that just the academic programs will suffer massive cuts while the athletic programs will be spared?
    Last edited by LSSULaker889294; 07-25-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
    So it's a possibly that just the academic programs will suffer massive cuts while the athletic programs will be spared?
    I highly doubt that but I would assume they're kind of talking about everything that way...

Do WCHA league officials have back up schedules made up if one or both of the Alaska schools fold?

Quote Originally Posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
    Do WCHA league officials have back up schedules made up if one or both of the Alaska schools fold?
    Yes.

From the Star Tribune of all places...
    Men’s Commissioner Bill Robertson said the conference is preparing for the upcoming season while keeping an eye on the developments in Alaska.

“We are monitoring that situation closely with both the administration and athletic departments at Anchorage and Fairbanks and have stayed in close touch on that,” Robertson said. “What we’re told right now is we need to prepare for the start of the year, and that’s what we’re doing. We can’t prognosticate what is going to play out.”

With that in mind, Robertson said the conference also has made contingency plans for the 2019-20 season. “We’ve worked on the potential for new schedules should one or either team not be able to compete, but it’s our hope and plan that both Anchorage and Fairbanks will be playing in the WCHA this year,” Robertson said. “This is a real fluid situation.
    Hope every University booked refundable flights...

The Anchorage Daily News is reporting:
    "A couple of options for absorbing deep cuts are being considered, including one that would require $50 million worth of cuts at UAA for fiscal year 2020. On Thursday, UAA chancellor Cathy Sandeen released a plan that would include a $4 million cut to athletics. “Please note these are not final decisions,” Sandeen wrote."

That is $4 M cut out of $12 M athletic budget. If I understand, these would be cuts for NEXT year's budget. I suppose that this year's athletic budget continues. So UAA hockey looks safe for this year...but next year ???

If you have to trim $4M, dropping the expensive hockey team gets you "farther faster". I found a document that says the net cost of hockey (expenses minus income) is around $1.5 M. So you still have to trim another $2.5 M. But dropping men's hockey gets UAA down to the NCAA d2 minimum of 10 sports, so there are no more sports that can be dropped. I'm not sure it's possible to cut another $2.5 M and still have an NCAA d2 athletic program in Anchorage. The only hope would be the "combined" model with UAF: 5 sports in Anchorage & 5 sports in Fairbanks including hockey.

https://www.adn.com/sports/uaa-athle...uncertainties/
    https://www.uaa.alaska.edu/about/adm...ly-24-2019.pdf

I don't think that the combined model is going to fly with the NCAA. They didn't sound enthusiastic about it last time.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Section T since 1978
    If you have to trim $4M, dropping the expensive hockey team gets you "farther faster". I found a document that says the net cost of hockey (expenses minus income) is around $1.5 M. So you still have to trim another $2.5 M. But dropping men's hockey gets UAA down to the NCAA d2 minimum of 10 sports, so there are no more sports that can be dropped. I'm not sure it's possible to cut another $2.5 M and still have an NCAA d2 athletic program in Anchorage. The only hope would be the "combined" model with UAF: 5 sports in Anchorage & 5 sports in Fairbanks including hockey.
    I completely agree...the only hope for hockey to survive is a single team in a combined system. 1 trip a year to Alaska is something the WCHA7 might well agree to accept especially if UAH can find a new home.

Thread Information