Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ak/uaa

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    The scale of the cuts required: Under one approach the UAA would have the facilities and the school of nursing. Nothing else.
    He moved too quick to see the cuts to UAF, but I believe they were similar. Yikes. That's ridiculous.

He's really pushing the "New UA" where it's one University, with each School of [whatever] Colleges take place in their existing facilities, where no campus offers the same classes.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      He moved too quick to see the cuts to UAF, but I believe they were similar. Yikes. That's ridiculous.

He's really pushing the "New UA" where it's one University, with each School of [whatever] Colleges take place in their existing facilities, where no campus offers the same classes.
      Yup. Cutting duplicate classes, such as engineering AND cutting the remote campus's will save 50 million. That doesn't come close to what they need to cut.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

They're dreaming if they think the governor is going to let the legislature add one dime back into their budget, let alone $100 million.

Comment

IIRC Fairbanks is the land grant college and gets the government money from Bankhead-Jones, Smith-Lever, and Hatch Acts. There is also a USDA Lab there.

Closing it may be a bit of a problem.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

As I have said, I'm not Alaskan but I do know politics. I strongly disagree with the picture painted by regent Dale Anderson (who sounds like a smug little pr!ck) that "this is what the people of Alaska want." No, the people of Alaska want a school system. The people who want to destroy the university and social safety net are a handful of wealthy businessmen and oil executives. To that end, the regents, faculty and even some of the politicians in that room are living in Fantasyland if they think the governor is going to give an inch. There are no more negotiations. People who watched or listened heard how confident the governor has been in their meetings. The budget was vetoed and the veto held. If the legislature tries anything he'll veto again and it will hold. If people want to get mad, then by all means. I would advise them to direct their anger at the Wasilla 22 - in particular the six state senators who voted for the budget but then wouldn't cast a vote to override. Whatever the board of regents decides the education system in Alaska will look much different than it did before and it will never recover. I'm very sorry but those are the political realities.

For the purposes of this site and this forum, it sure looks like the hockey teams are done. The UAA chancellor basically said as much today. Looking at the financials, in the past seven years, Fairbanks and Anchorage have cost the university an average loss of $14.25M/year on athletics. There is no way that can be sustained. Not when they are talking about closing campuses and eliminating redundancy. There isn't any good news coming. There may be some bad news that isn't as bad as other bad news but this is what the governor and his friends want and they have the power to make it happen. Elections have consequences.

Comment

As I have said, I'm not Alaskan but I do know politics. I strongly disagree with the picture painted by regent Dale Anderson (who sounds like a smug little pr!ck) that "this is what the people of Alaska want." No, the people of Alaska want a school system. The people who want to destroy the university and social safety net are a handful of wealthy businessmen and oil executives. To that end, the regents, faculty and even some of the politicians in that room are living in Fantasyland if they think the governor is going to give an inch. There are no more negotiations. People who watched or listened heard how confident the governor has been in their meetings. The budget was vetoed and the veto held. If the legislature tries anything he'll veto again and it will hold. If people want to get mad, then by all means. I would advise them to direct their anger at the Wasilla 22 - in particular the six state senators who voted for the budget but then wouldn't cast a vote to override. Whatever the board of regents decides the education system in Alaska will look much different than it did before and it will never recover. I'm very sorry but those are the political realities.

For the purposes of this site and this forum, it sure looks like the hockey teams are done. The UAA chancellor basically said as much today. Looking at the financials, in the past seven years, Fairbanks and Anchorage have cost the university an average loss of $14.25M/year on athletics. There is no way that can be sustained. Not when they are talking about closing campuses and eliminating redundancy. There isn't any good news coming. There may be some bad news that isn't as bad as other bad news but this is what the governor and his friends want and they have the power to make it happen. Elections have consequences.
              The Legislature is talking about lowering the PFD to $900 and restoring all of the cuts. Who knows where this will end up! If they do restore $$ to UA and the Gov vetoes, they can then override his veto. Correct? Too bad they failed to do so when they had the chance.
              Originally Posted by aparch
              I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                The Legislature is talking about lowering the PFD to $900 and restoring all of the cuts. Who knows where this will end up! If they do restore $$ to UA and the Gov vetoes, they can then override his veto. Correct? Too bad they failed to do so when they had the chance.
                The Legislature can try whatever it wants but the governor is feeling pretty confident that any veto will be sustained. I hope no one is naive enough to think public pressure is going to sway him, or enough legislators to override. They want to destroy public education and they have the power to do it now.

Meanwhile, every day that passes the university system burns through another $2M.

Comment

As I have said, I'm not Alaskan but I do know politics. I strongly disagree with the picture painted by regent Dale Anderson (who sounds like a smug little pr!ck) that "this is what the people of Alaska want." No, the people of Alaska want a school system. The people who want to destroy the university and social safety net are a handful of wealthy businessmen and oil executives.
                  If they didn't want it, they shouldn't have elected a Republican governor. You know, a guy from the party that has proven for 40 years now that they hate science, facts, reason, and anyone who holds credentials higher than a high school diploma (unless of course it's an MBA).

You're d@mn right elections have consequences. Too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    If they didn't want it, they shouldn't have elected a Republican governor. You know, a guy from the party that has proven for 40 years now that they hate science, facts, reason, and anyone who holds credentials higher than a high school diploma (unless of course it's an MBA).

Yeah well, if we didn't want concentration camps we shouldn't have voted for a Nazi.

Comment

Yeah well, if we didn't want concentration camps we shouldn't have voted for a Nazi.
                      If only there were signs...

But that's for a different thread.
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Isn't it true that the only politics involved here is in Alaska?

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                          Isn't it true that the only politics involved here is in Alaska?
                          No. Attempts to destroy public education are national. Look no further than the current Secretary of Education or the state of Wisconsin. This isn't anything new; the war is just being fought on a different battlefield.

Comment

No. Attempts to destroy public education are national. Look no further than the current Secretary of Education or the state of Wisconsin. This isn't anything new; the war is just being fought on a different battlefield.
                            Exactly, almost every time a group with certain political group get in power the first places they cut are social programs and education. This is a triple benefit for that group as it allows them to weaken educational professionals organizations (groups not aligned with their political beliefs), the people most impacted aren't their supporters, and they can keep money going to/cut taxes for their supporters.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

45% of us tried our best, now being decimated by the 55%.
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                45% of us tried our best, now being decimated by the 55%.
                                Ahhh, first past the post. Wonderful system.

Comment

Working...
                                X