Ak/uaa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    Except there are people from both parties and independents in Juneau today; and the state senate is almost a super majority of Republicans. Kinda hard to see where any of this fault falls on Democrats. It falls on the governor and the 22 Republicans hiding in a middle school in Wasilla.

The special session is wrapping up.

And the vote to override:
    Senate: 14-0 to override
    House: 23-1 to override
    37-1 to override.

10 minute recess.
    Could the Democrats say, OK, Wasilla it is. Then go there and force a vote? The governor announced the session would be in Wasilla last week.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Re: Ak/uaa

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      Could the Democrats say, OK, Wasilla it is. Then go there and force a vote? The governor announced the session would be in Wasilla last week.
      This isn't the Democrats. The state senate is a Republican super majority. Both parties agree the governor has no authority to say where the session will be held.

They finally came back. Now they are voting to override other parts of the budget veto. I assume the vote will be 37-1 on every question.

ETA: They just voted on one thing, then rescinded the veto override vote and went back into recess until tomorrow morning.
      Last edited by ticapnews; 07-10-2019, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        Partisan politics.
        Ah. Yes. You're right. Found it here: https://www.heraldonline.com/news/bu...232397962.html

"The first-term governor, a Republican, called for them to meet there, saying said a change of venue to the heart of his conservative base would be good for lawmakers."

Comment

UAH to Atlantic Hockey is an interesting proposition... If they are committed to their program and funding it at a full D1 level, they could be very competitive in that league, which sometime soon might compete for an at large bid. Poor Alaska teams in a D1 hockey wasteland with big destructive budget cuts.
          Hobart Statesmen
          Quinnipiac Bobcats
          Boston College Eagles
          Providence College Friars

#EasternBias is the only way

Jack O'Callahan: "You know what Coxy let me ask you a question. Why'd you wanna play college hockey?"
          Cox: "Isn't it obvious? For the girls."

Comment

There is a joint session underway. Only 38 members are present.

They need 45 of 60 votes to override.

If there are only 38 present, why don't they only need 29 votes?

No one has spoken in favor of the governor's veto. Even Republicans are bashing him.

To answer the current speaker (a Republican) - no, the governor and his pals know exactly what these cuts mean and they want them. They're not a bug; they're a feature.

Another Republican, Chris Birch, urges an override.

Birch: The vote in the Senate was 20-0, yet only 14 senators are present today.

Rep Josephson of Anchorage is practically in tears.

The live feed is getting very choppy.
            I listened to representative Rasmusson on the radio a while ago. She stated that if they can't override the Governor's veto, the legislature can still appropriate money back to UA.
            Originally Posted by aparch
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Trev View Post
              UAH to Atlantic Hockey is an interesting proposition... If they are committed to their program and funding it at a full D1 level, they could be very competitive in that league, which sometime soon might compete for an at large bid. Poor Alaska teams in a D1 hockey wasteland with big destructive budget cuts.
              What does Atlantic Hockey gain?
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                I listened to representative Rasmusson on the radio a while ago. She stated that if they can't override the Governor's veto, the legislature can still appropriate money back to UA.
                That may have been what I heard them discussing in-session. I heard $25 million. That would still leave over a $100 million hole to fill. I would like to be optimistic but I've been following politics too long for that. I'll wait for the legislature to surprise me.

Comment

That may have been what I heard them discussing in-session. I heard $25 million. That would still leave over a $100 million hole to fill. I would like to be optimistic but I've been following politics too long for that. I'll wait for the legislature to surprise me.
                  Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I personally believe that Dunleavy purposely called the special session in Wasilla because he figured all of the Legislators would not attend. He assured himself that his veto could not be overridden!!
                  I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I personally believe that Dunleavy purposely called the special session in Wasilla because he figured all of the Legislators would not attend. He assured himself that his veto could not be overridden!!
                    I admit I'm an outsider, but I do know politics. You aren't being paranoid. That's exactly what he did.

I have a feeling that if the other members of the legislature called his bluff and showed up in Wasilla tomorrow or Friday they would discover the 22 cowards had all gone home and the veto would still be sustained.

Comment

I feel awful for you guys. This goes well beyond hockey or even athletics at large.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

No, that is exactly the strategy. The Juneau crowd can not override his vetos at this point, but they can decrease or zero out the dividends. Former legislator Al Vezey filed a lawsuit against the Juneau crowd today, claiming their meeting is not lawful and any action is invalid. In my past life I spent a lot of time interpreting Alaska statutes, and IMHO, I think this is a slam dunk for the Juneau crowd. But who knows.

Plus Dunleavy doesn't exactly have any friends in the Alaska judiciary (even if they can't say that). If the courts rule in the Juneau crowd's favor, maybe they will also restart the "override the veto clock". By then even more folks will be angered at the Governor and the Wasilla crowd. Many of the Wasilla crowd have dodged officially choosing a side. They say they are in Wasilla only because that is the law as they see it. Would be interesting to watch how they vote out in the open now that the public is strongly against the Dunleavy vetos.

This is so much bigger than hockey, university athletics, or even the University itself. His vetos disproportionately hit the young, the old, the sick, the poor, the mentally impaired. Basically the most disadvantaged of our population.

Comment

Many things occurring in politics became much easier to understand when I decided that they are knowingly and intentionally crafted by actual piles of slugs stuffed into suits.

Comment

Trying to watch the video feed of today's session but it is incredibly choppy. I assume we're still at 38?

Comment

Trying to watch the video feed of today's session but it is incredibly choppy. I assume we're still at 38?
                              Why watch? They can't do anything without the votes, and they don't have them.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                                No, that is exactly the strategy. The Juneau crowd can not override his vetos at this point, but they can decrease or zero out the dividends. Former legislator Al Vezey filed a lawsuit against the Juneau crowd today, claiming their meeting is not lawful and any action is invalid. In my past life I spent a lot of time interpreting Alaska statutes, and IMHO, I think this is a slam dunk for the Juneau crowd. But who knows.

Plus Dunleavy doesn't exactly have any friends in the Alaska judiciary (even if they can't say that). If the courts rule in the Juneau crowd's favor, maybe they will also restart the "override the veto clock". By then even more folks will be angered at the Governor and the Wasilla crowd. Many of the Wasilla crowd have dodged officially choosing a side. They say they are in Wasilla only because that is the law as they see it. Would be interesting to watch how they vote out in the open now that the public is strongly against the Dunleavy vetos.

This is so much bigger than hockey, university athletics, or even the University itself. His vetos disproportionately hit the young, the old, the sick, the poor, the mentally impaired. Basically the most disadvantaged of our population.
                                You are right. It's so disturbing on many levels. And to think Dunleavy got his education at UAF. I wonder if there is a way to find out if he was on any kind of scholarship while attending there. When channel 2 interviewed him, he said he wanted to maintain "core" services, and education was mentioned as one of them. What a hypocrite!

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X