Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
    Even if the NCAA allows split sites, it probably doesn’t bode well for UAF:
    …Hockey is a “dead man walking.” I see no viable conf affiliation on the horizon.
    …UAA has one of the best DII arenas in the country in the Alaska Airlines Center, and their women’s bball and vball do fairly well. It’s a $120m facility that will not be allowed to sit vacant if we have any sports programs at all.
    …UAA has available year round training facilities and an emphasis on international recruiting, so their track and field does really well (and x-country is decent).
    …UAA is close to Alyleska so their ski program contains both the alpine and nordic components.
    …UAA has women’s gymnastics, but may have to drop that when hockey goes because of both Title IX / budget issues. It's saving grace may be it utilizes the Alaska Airlines Center.

UAF has
    …an historically strong Rile program.
    …a decent women’s swim team.
    …some of the best x/c ski trails and training opportunities in the country, but a mediocre ski team. We have a x/c running program that I believe only exists to meet the NCAA 10 sports minimum. Skiers run x/c
    …our mbball, wbball, vball have been historic conf cellar dwellers.

That being said, when almost all sports are located in Anchorage (maybe with the exception of Rifle and Swimming) and President Johnson encourages all UA students and alum to support (emotionally and financially) the new UA sports teams, most loyal Nanook fans, myself included, will tell him to pound sand.
    I’m sure the GNAC and any potential hockey opponents would prefer Anchorage due to travel times & costs.
    Last edited by davyd83; 07-31-2019, 08:54 PM.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
      “The Warriors”
      …you know, just a group of guys, unjustly blamed for everybody else’s problems, who are ganged up on by everybody, when all they want is to maintain their home turf. Hey, that might make a good movie….
      Only if we use the intro song...
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        I’m sure the GNAC and any potential hockey opponents would prefer Anchorage fue to travel times & costs.
        Yeah, I imagine despite wishes of the UA Regents.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: Ak/uaa

Originally posted by MidWestMidMajor View Post
          Quote Originally Posted by MidWestMidMajor View Post
          I found these comments by reddit poster JDChambo interesting:

there's nothing in NCAA rules that prevents satellite campuses from maintaining separate athletics departments. Penn State uses the same single accreditation model that the Alaska system will be transitioning to, and there's (in)famously an entire DII conference of just Penn State schools. Which means this entirely comes down to funding.

--------

Tape replied
          The PSUAC isn't in the NCAA, it's in the United States Collegiate Athletic Association.

-------
          MidWestMidMajor replies:

But the Penn State system does have campuses that are NCAA D3: Behrend (Erie area), Altoona, Harrisburg, Penn Tech (Williamsport), Abington, Berks.

Also LIU is combining their 2 separate athletic departments on 2 campuses (a D2 and a D1) into one D1 athletic department that will have the sports distributed across both campuses (Brooklyn and CW Post).

So, it can be done. There is still hope...

(PS. I'm a newbie on this board. Still learning how it works)
          There is a huge difference between getting them to be ok with 2 campuses 27 miles apart vs 350 miles apart...
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
            Plus when it is just one "University of Alaska" what will the mascot be? Seawolves? Nanooks? SeaNooks?
            the University of Alaska Slushies...

Comment

So...if I have this correct...classes at the UA campuses begin 27 August but the Board of Regents won't meet again until September? They're taking the entire month of August off? Isn't this kind of important? Or are they just going to have the president make all the decisions himself? They understand they're on the clock, right? That there is only so much money and eventually they are going to run out, and the more they spend now the deeper the cuts are going to have to be later? Employee contracts at UAA are set to begin 10 August. It might behoove them to take action before that date. Maybe even before new students start showing up for orientation next week?

Just an idea...

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                So...if I have this correct...classes at the UA campuses begin 27 August but the Board of Regents won't meet again until September? They're taking the entire month of August off? Isn't this kind of important? Or are they just going to have the president make all the decisions himself? They understand they're on the clock, right? That there is only so much money and eventually they are going to run out, and the more they spend now the deeper the cuts are going to have to be later? Employee contracts at UAA are set to begin 10 August. It might behoove them to take action before that date. Maybe even before new students start showing up for orientation next week?

Just an idea...
                exactly - I've been just as befuddled as you - trying to understand how this is going to work

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
                  exactly - I've been just as befuddled as you - trying to understand how this is going to work
                  It seems like they're just hoping for a hail mary and delaying until they absolutely have to deal with this...
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Just an idea...
                    Could it just be that the people in charge know that the end is nigh for everything? So drag feet now so that you can have one more year under the "normal" budget?

It's like you have a house on some property. The government needs the property for whatever, but not the house. They offer pennies on the dollar for the property. Since they don't need the house and have made that clear, you throw the party to end all parties on one of the last days you still have possession of the house. Said party goes full Animal House and just destroys the house. In the end, the house is uninhabitable but the local government doesn't care since the wrecking ball is coming next week. And you got to have one last Hurrah! before you head off to your new place...
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                      Could it just be that the people in charge know that the end is nigh for everything? So drag feet now so that you can have one more year under the "normal" budget?
                      But they can't have one more year. At the rate they are currently spending money, they'll run out in mid-February.

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      It seems like they're just hoping for a hail mary and delaying until they absolutely have to deal with this...
                      If they're hoping the governor grows a heart like the Grinch they're in for a rude awakening. As I am fond of saying, "It isn't a bug; it's a feature." It isn't like the governor is unaware his budget veto destroys the university system and once he learns the truth he'll suddenly change tack and restore the funding. He's well aware. The devastation is the point.

Comment

Just an idea...
                        Is the BoR facing any cuts to their numbers/salary?

Comment

Well isn't it cut and dry...the two hockey programs are toast...no sugar coating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                            Is the BoR facing any cuts to their numbers/salary?
                            Regents aren't paid. It is unlikely their number will be reduced. Their staff on the other hand...

Comment

i was thinking about the damage, even if the teams survive, recruiting-wise...

then it crossed my mind; if you were a AK_ coach, would you not feel the same way?

that its not a problem only for recruited players or current players - that's a problem for the coaching staff as well.

would you not be looking to find a place to land some somewhre else?

its not the same wait and see type situation like at UAH.

lord knows bill robertson ain't sitting on his hands...

Comment

• Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
                                i was thinking about the damage, even if the teams survive, recruiting-wise...

then it crossed my mind; if you were a AK_ coach, would you not feel the same way?

that its not a problem only for recruited players or current players - that's a problem for the coaching staff as well.

would you not be looking to find a place to land some somewhre else?

its not the same wait and see type situation like at UAH.

lord knows bill robertson ain't sitting on his hands...
                                The Alaska schools had to endure a death threat just a couple years ago that crushed two full recruiting classes and negatively affected two more. Now the same thing or worse happens here. Even if the programs or one of the programs survives, it’s going to be at least three years before they have a chance to get a full strength recruiting class to the 49th State.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X