Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Ak/uaa

Never Forget!

Re: Ak/uaa

This tells you how much the Board of Regents believes that "bipartisan" palaver.

Can the university support hockey at all? Can only having one team in Alaska be financially viable? If there will be only one hockey team, at which campus will it be located? Big questions on this board, notsomuch in the grand scheme of things.

It looks like Johnson got his wish today.
    Sad day for the University......

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    It was a long time ago. All I remember is they had a team; I don't remember any player names.
    Red Dog and Dinger
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Alaska Pacific University had a hockey program way back when. It was then known as Alaska Methodist University.
    I remember the team as well , and as you said,it was a long time ago .

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
    It looks like Johnson got his wish today.
    Sad day for the University......
    ? I'm curious...

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

I found these comments by reddit poster JDChambo interesting:

there's nothing in NCAA rules that prevents satellite campuses from maintaining separate athletics departments. Penn State uses the same single accreditation model that the Alaska system will be transitioning to, and there's (in)famously an entire DII conference of just Penn State schools. Which means this entirely comes down to funding.

However, it does appear that any changes to the ADs won't take effect until the 2020-21 season based on the general vaugeness, thus we can assume that both the Nanooks and Seawolves will play out the upcoming 2019-20 season as intended. Whether this turns out to be the swan song for either (or both) hockey teams depends on the next steps taken by the BoR and University administrations. The next BoR meeting is set for September.

Never Forget!
    Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    ? I'm curious...

GFM
    As I understand it, the UA system will now have one school of nursing/science/business etc etc which will be located at either Anchorage or Fairbanks, but not both. This will set off some major turf wars as both campuses fight to have that field taught at their location. It means they will be fighting each other for money, jobs and students. It also means lost opportunities for students. If you live in Anchorage and were set to be, for example, a nursing student, and suddenly that is only being taught in Fairbanks, that will be one more obstacle to overcome. There will also be fewer students accepted into each program, placing yet another obstacle in your path.

It is a sad time indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
    Red Dog and Dinger
    I recall a "Big Red" Kennedy. I think. I'm old.
    Playing in the Beluga (inflatable dome), cold as hell with fans keeping a constant breeze on your neck at -40.
    Chicken wire on the end boards.
    Crowds along the boards beating broken hockey sticks on the inside of the side boards for noise. Is was a huge echo chamber. Loud as h*ll
    The "good ol' days."
    "Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

* lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    ? I'm curious...

GFM
    UA system President Jim Johnsen has pushed for single accreditation in the past. He got his wish, but be careful what you wish for.

The NCAA already told UA thanks but no thanks several years ago to the idea of a split athletic program within the system, with 4-5 programs in Fairbanks and the same amount in Anchorage to meet the NCAA minimum of 10 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    UA system President Jim Johnsen has pushed for single accreditation in the past. He got his wish, but be careful what you wish for.

The NCAA already told UA thanks but no thanks several years ago to the idea of a split athletic program within the system, with 4-5 programs in Fairbanks and the same amount in Anchorage to meet the NCAA minimum of 10 teams.
    Exactly, NCAA sent a letter saying they will not approve split athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    Exactly, NCAA sent a letter saying they will not approve split athletics.
    The "NCAA" is a bunch of member colleges and universities who don't want to give the politicians in their own states the idea that they can merge schools and keep separate athletics. That would cost college presidents and AD's jobs. There's no way they okay this.

I thought that was in regards to keeping the three separate accredited universities. There is precedent, but that's when campuses are close, and technically a student at one campus could reasonably practice and make the team at the other campus. The 350 miles between UAA and UAF makes that a non-starter.

Not sure if there is an issue with one accredited university. Why would the NCAA dictate that sports have to be at the same location?
    "Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

Quote Originally Posted by MidWestMidMajor View Post
    I found these comments by reddit poster JDChambo interesting:

there's nothing in NCAA rules that prevents satellite campuses from maintaining separate athletics departments. Penn State uses the same single accreditation model that the Alaska system will be transitioning to, and there's (in)famously an entire DII conference of just Penn State schools. Which means this entirely comes down to funding.
    The PSUAC isn't in the NCAA, it's in the United States Collegiate Athletic Association.

Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post
    I thought that was in regards to keeping the three separate accredited universities. There is precedent, but that's when campuses are close, and technically a student at one campus could reasonably practice and make the team at the other campus. The 350 miles between UAA and UAF makes that a non-starter.

Not sure if there is an issue with one accredited university. Why would the NCAA dictate that sports have to be at the same location?
    Plus when it is just one "University of Alaska" what will the mascot be? Seawolves? Nanooks? SeaNooks?

Plus when it is just one "University of Alaska" what will the mascot be? Seawolves? Nanooks? SeaNooks?
    The Fighting Johnsen’s.

Even if the NCAA allows split sites, it probably doesn’t bode well for UAF:
    …Hockey is a “dead man walking.” I see no viable conf affiliation on the horizon.
    …UAA has one of the best DII arenas in the country in the Alaska Airlines Center, and their women’s bball and vball do fairly well. It’s a $120m facility that will not be allowed to sit vacant if we have any sports programs at all.
    …UAA has available year round training facilities and an emphasis on international recruiting, so their track and field does really well (and x-country is decent).
    …UAA is close to Alyleska so their ski program contains both the alpine and nordic components.
    …UAA has women’s gymnastics, but may have to drop that when hockey goes because of both Title IX / budget issues. It's saving grace may be it utilizes the Alaska Airlines Center.

UAF has
    …an historically strong Rile program.
    …a decent women’s swim team.
    …some of the best x/c ski trails and training opportunities in the country, but a mediocre ski team. We have a x/c running program that I believe only exists to meet the NCAA 10 sports minimum. Skiers run x/c
    …our mbball, wbball, vball have been historic conf cellar dwellers.

That being said, when almost all sports are located in Anchorage (maybe with the exception of Rifle and Swimming) and President Johnson encourages all UA students and alum to support (emotionally and financially) the new UA sports teams, most loyal Nanook fans, myself included, will tell him to pound sand.
    "Who got the Cup?"

Quote Originally Posted by mmf View Post
    Even if the NCAA allows split sites, it probably doesn’t bode well for UAF:
    …Hockey is a “dead man walking.” I see no viable conf affiliation on the horizon.
    …UAA has one of the best DII arenas in the country in the Alaska Airlines Center, and their women’s bball and vball do fairly well. It’s a $120m facility that will not be allowed to sit vacant if we have any sports programs at all.
    …UAA has available year round training facilities and an emphasis on international recruiting, so their track and field does really well (and x-country is decent).
    …UAA is close to Alyleska so their ski program contains both the alpine and nordic components.
    …UAA has women’s gymnastics, but may have to drop that when hockey goes because of both Title IX / budget issues. It's saving grace may be it utilizes the Alaska Airlines Center.

UAF has
    …an historically strong Rile program.
    …a decent women’s swim team.
    …some of the best x/c ski trails and training opportunities in the country, but a mediocre ski team. We have a x/c running program that I believe only exists to meet the NCAA 10 sports minimum. Skiers run x/c
    …our mbball, wbball, vball have been historic conf cellar dwellers.

That being said, when almost all sports are located in Anchorage (maybe with the exception of Rifle and Swimming) and President Johnson encourages all UA students and alum to support (emotionally and financially) the new UA sports teams, most loyal Nanook fans, myself included, will tell him to pound sand.
    No matter how you look at this, as a Seawolf fan or a Nanook fan, it is a terrible situation. I would not blame UAF fans for not supporting the new UA Athletics structure. I am a UAA fan, and I oppose all of this. So, I might be with you!

The Fighting Johnsen’s.
    Flea is going to cut off his Johnsen.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Glaciers.

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Glaciers.
    There are no more glaciers. Maybe they can be the Puddles.

Thread Information