• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ak/uaa

Chancellor Dan White will host a Nanook hockey stakeholder’s meeting on
    Tuesday, June 18 from 5:30-6:30 p.m. in the Wood Center multi-level lounge
    to discuss recent announcements about the UAF hockey playing venue. Members
    of the public and university are encouraged to attend

Alaska(UAF) Nanooks will play 2019-20 at the Carlson Center UNLESS the ice craps out and then will be forced to play on campus at the 1000 seat Patty Center Ice Arena.

Two committees are being formed to meet this summer about moving entirely back on campus in two years or so. Arena expansion???? New Arena????? $$$

Meantime UAA(University of Alaska Anchorage Seawolves) are playing this upcoming season at the 800(hopefully expanded to 1000 by fall) at the Wells Fargo Sports Complex ice arena on their campus.

AD said nothing major will be done for at least a couple of years with Seawolves expansion project

UAA leaves 6400 seat Sullivan Arena/AK plays at 4300 seat Carlson Center for time being

WCHA wants 2500 minimum seating

Re: Ak/uaa

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
    Chancellor Dan White will host a Nanook hockey stakeholder’s meeting on
    Tuesday, June 18 from 5:30-6:30 p.m. in the Wood Center multi-level lounge
    to discuss recent announcements about the UAF hockey playing venue. Members
    of the public and university are encouraged to attend

Alaska(UAF) Nanooks will play 2019-20 at the Carlson Center UNLESS the ice craps out and then will be forced to play on campus at the 1000 seat Patty Center Ice Arena.

Two committees are being formed to meet this summer about moving entirely back on campus in two years or so. Arena expansion???? New Arena????? $$$

Meantime UAA(University of Alaska Anchorage Seawolves) are playing this upcoming season at the 800(hopefully expanded to 1000 by fall) at the Wells Fargo Sports Complex ice arena on their campus.

AD said nothing major will be done for at least a couple of years with Seawolves expansion project

UAA leaves 6400 seat Sullivan Arena/AK plays at 4300 seat Carlson Center for time being

WCHA wants 2500 minimum seating
    It will be interesting to see what happens for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
      It will be interesting to see what happens for sure!
      Maybe hire a Refrigeration & Heating (RH) person.
      Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
      UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Looks like UAF Athletic Director was fired today. The Saga just keeps on going at UA!

Comment

UNIVERSITY OF ALASKA ATHLETICS || @AlaskaNanooks
          Online Version: http://bit.ly/2X32UtA
          UAF announces new leadership for Nanooks athletics
          University of Alaska Fairbanks Chancellor Dan White has announced that Keith Champagne will take on a new role as leader of the Alaska Nanooks intercollegiate athletics program.

Champagne, who currently serves as vice chancellor for student affairs, will assume the duties of athletics director, as well as continue to serve as the leader of UAF’s student affairs division. He will take over for Sterling Steward, who stepped down earlier today.

“In addition to Vice Chancellor Champagne’s experience in student affairs, he has a solid background in athletics,” White said in a message to the UAF community. “I am confident that under his leadership UAF athletics will grow. I look forward to working with Dr. Champagne to establish a solid foundation and vibrant future for UAF athletics.”

Champagne and White will be available to speak with media regarding the change later today, Tuesday, June 11, at 2:30 p.m. in the chancellor’s conference room on the third floor of Signers’ Hall on the Fairbanks campus. A call-in number is available: 866-832-7806 PIN 1637788.

In his new role, Champagne plans to focus more on fundraising, marketing and community engagement.

“We have something very special here. We have some of the best student athletes in the country, and we have a university and a community that believe in us and want us to be successful,” Champagne said. “I am committed to building a program that our students, faculty, staff and community will be proud to support and celebrate.”

Champagne has a bachelor’s degree in communications public relations from Loyola University, a master’s degree in communications, training and development from Clarion University of Pennsylvania and a doctorate in educational leadership and policy studies from the University of Washington. His doctoral work focused on intercollegiate athletics leadership and sports management. Prior to joining the leadership team at UAF, he served in a variety of athletics and student services leadership positions at Central Washington University, including chief diversity officer for intercollegiate athletics and interim athletics director. He is a graduate of the Sports Management Institute and a member of the Sports Lawyers Association.

Comment

Looks like UAF Athletic Director was fired today. The Saga just keeps on going at UA!
            The guy was there less then 10 months.
            What was the beef with Sterling?

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
              Someone found a Seawolf cap in the back of his closet. He said it wasn't his but why take the chance.

Go Nooks!
              Go Blues!

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                The article said he "stepped down". I wonder if he decided to leave, or if he was let go.
                Originally Posted by aparch
                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                  Someone found a Seawolf cap in the back of his closet. He said it wasn't his but why take the chance.

Go Nooks!
                  Go Blues!
                  "Found" his inestimable tam? B. S.
                  Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                  UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                    Maybe hire a Refrigeration & Heating (RH) person.
                    Just keep the doors open.
                    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Is it possible that UAA could establish a "Go Fund Me Page" to help with the cost of the WFSC Ice Arena upgrades? I may not be rich, but there are some hockey heavy hitters that could contribute nicely. Where is Scotty Gomez, Beagle and others that have the means to help contribute? Am I off base here?

Comment

Is it possible that UAA could establish a "Go Fund Me Page" to help with the cost of the WFSC Ice Arena upgrades? I may not be rich, but there are some hockey heavy hitters that could contribute nicely. Where is Scotty Gomez, Beagle and others that have the means to help contribute? Am I off base here?
                        I’d be fairly certain that they have been contacted many times and do support the program. I’d be willing to bet they support other causes as well.

If I were one of the ‘heavy hitters,’ before giving any large sums to the program now, the University of Alaska system would need to show that they can and will support a competitive Division I program in Anchorage. Otherwise, you just continue to put band aids on gunshot wounds. I sure hope the State of Alaska, the community and the University system can get it right and give the program the support it needs.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          I’d be fairly certain that they have been contacted many times and do support the program. I’d be willing to bet they support other causes as well.

If I were one of the ‘heavy hitters,’ before giving any large sums to the program now, the University of Alaska system would need to show that they can and will support a competitive Division I program in Anchorage. Otherwise, you just continue to put band aids on gunshot wounds. I sure hope the State of Alaska, the community and the University system can get it right and give the program the support it needs.
                          These are real good points!

Comment

Impacts of governor's recently proposed 40% cuts to the university system?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Impacts of governor's recently proposed 40% cuts to the university system?
                              Bad.
                              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Working...
                              X