Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Bad.
    Hoping the legislature overrides the atrocious decision by the Governor with the Masters of Education that’s trying to destroy your university system.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      Hoping the legislature overrides the atrocious decision by the Governor with the Masters of Education that’s trying to destroy your university system.
      This coming week has the potential to be one of the most important and influential weeks in Alaskan history since it became a state. What happens may chart the course for the future for decades one way or another.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Re: Ak/uaa

The R's backed and elected this guy.
        They have made it clear they have no intention of overriding his vetoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
          This coming week has the potential to be one of the most important and influential weeks in Alaskan history since it became a state. What happens may chart the course for the future for decades one way or another.
          The 5 day clock starts ticking when the special session starts is the way I understand it.
          Who makes the determination of when the special session starts?
          Will it be in Palin land or down South?
          And who makes that call?
          This whole thing is a farce.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
            The 5 day clock starts ticking when the special session starts is the way I understand it.
            Will it be in Palin land or down South?
            I just read that it will be in both places.

Sean
            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
            BU Hockey highlights and extras
            NCAA Hockey Financials
            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

I'm trying to follow this from afar and it seems like a real mess.

Apparently there is a disagreement over where the legislature should even meet. This alone is enough to prevent a veto override. There is a vote scheduled at 11:30AM Alaska Time (3:30PM ET) and the legislature has until 11:59PM Friday night to override.

If there is no override I don't see how the university moves forward with sports, much less hockey. There are thousands of people in the university system that will be laid off and there are reports that incoming students have already been told their admission to the university is on hold. According to the chancellor of UAA the school is set to lay off around 700 of 1562 employees and cut 40 degree programs.

Comment

The Alaska Legislature votes at 11:30AM (3:30PM ET) to override the governor's veto

Stream it here.

Comment

I don't mean to turn this into a political thread but if I posted this question on the Cafe I'm not sure anyone would see it to answer it -- so I apologize in advance.

Why is there such an argument over where the legislature is supposed to meet? I've read a bunch of stuff but haven't seen why this is such a stumbling block.
                  Last edited by TalonsUpPuckDown; 07-10-2019, 02:14 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                    I don't mean to turn this into a political thread but if I posted this question on the Cafe I'm not sure anyone would see it to answer it -- so I apologize in advance.

Why is there such an argument over where the legislature is supposed to meet? I've read a bunch of stuff but haven't seen why this is such a stumbling block.
                    Partisan politics.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

There is a joint session underway. Only 38 members are present.

They need 45 of 60 votes to override.

If there are only 38 present, why don't they only need 29 votes?

No one has spoken in favor of the governor's veto. Even Republicans are bashing him.

To answer the current speaker (a Republican) - no, the governor and his pals know exactly what these cuts mean and they want them. They're not a bug; they're a feature.

Another Republican, Chris Birch, urges an override.

Birch: The vote in the Senate was 20-0, yet only 14 senators are present today.

Rep Josephson of Anchorage is practically in tears.

The live feed is getting very choppy.
                      Last edited by ticapnews; 07-10-2019, 03:08 PM. Reason: Live feed

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                        There is a joint session underway. Only 24 members are present.

If there are only 24 present, why don't they only need 18 votes?

No one has spoken in favor of the governor's veto. Even Republicans are bashing him.

To answer the current speaker (a Republican) - no, the governor and his pals know exactly what these cuts mean and they want them. They're not a bug; they're a feature.
                        I read that an override requires 3/4 of the legislative body, not just of those who show up. The quote I saw was "every no-show is a 'no' vote."

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                          I read that an override requires 3/4 of the legislative body, not just of those who show up. The quote I saw was "every no-show is a 'no' vote."
                          I figured. So no matter what they say today, the veto will hold because of those 22 *******s in Wasilla.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            There is a joint session underway. Only 38 members are present.

If there are only 38 present, why don't they only need 29 votes?

Another Republican, Chris Birch, urges an override.

Birch: The vote in the Senate was 20-0, yet only 14 senators are present today.

Rep Josephson of Anchorage is practically in tears.

The live feed is getting very choppy.
                            Here’s a simple explanation. They must have 75% of the full body, not just 75% of those present. If they don’t have a quorum, no one’s vote is on record. The Republicans can then blame the Democrats for not following the Governor’s desire for a Wasilla meeting. And likewise, the Democrats can blame the Republicans for avoiding the State Capital.

Comment

Here’s a simple explanation. They must have 75% of the full body, not just 75% of those present. If they don’t have a quorum, no one’s vote is on record. The Republicans can then blame the Democrats for not following the Governor’s desire for a Wasilla meeting. And likewise, the Democrats can blame the Republicans for avoiding the State Capital.
                              Except there are people from both parties and independents in Juneau today; and the state senate is almost a super majority of Republicans. Kinda hard to see where any of this fault falls on Democrats. It falls on the governor and the 22 Republicans hiding in a middle school in Wasilla.

The special session is wrapping up.

And the vote to override:
                              Senate: 14-0 to override
                              House: 23-1 to override
                              37-1 to override.

10 minute recess.

Comment

This 10 minute recess is turning into a dinner break...

I see a man with a microphone outside the House chamber addressing a group but I have no idea who it is or what he is saying.

Comment

Working...
                                X