Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ak/uaa

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
    Geof, there is NO WAY that UAF will eliminate all research at UAF. There is just no way that will happen. If they employ this "one university model" (I oppose this), then Research will be at UAF and just The medical programs will be at UAA.
    I expect and hope that you're correct. It's just a matter of how dumb the budget recision process is.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      I expect and hope that you're correct. It's just a matter of how dumb the budget recision process is.

GFM
      They're not considering it. One of the regents used that as an example of the ideas she has received in her email.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
        They're not considering it. One of the regents used that as an example of the ideas she has received in her email.
        Man, I love being wrong when it's situations like this.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

I guess my biggest question is, if the programs are able to survive, how can they be competitive in recruiting? They were just starting to recover from their last time they faced extinction. Now the incoming classes for the next few years are once again blown up. There are some terrific young coaches that could do some good things if only given the opportunity. But thanks to Governor Dunleavy, even if the teams are saved, potential recruits are looking elsewhere. And this time, it’s not just hockey, it’s all sports.
          Last edited by davyd83; 07-17-2019, 05:19 PM.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Might be a positive sign...

https://www.adn.com/politics/alaska-...udget-deadlock
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              Rep. DeLena Johnson, R-Palmer, also one of the legislators who went to Wasilla, said that with the state poised to lose more than $900 million in federal road construction aid without timely approval of the capital budget, action is needed.
              The key is that they're going to lose federal dollars. One of the Wasilla 22 probably has a friend in the construction business and stands to lose a lot of money without those sweet government contracts.

That's the angle the university system has to take to convince eight members of the Wasilla 22 to reverse the budget cuts. Show them those cuts will cost federal money and hurt businesses (preferably ones that have connections to the Wasilla 22)

Even so, it's going to be a fraction of the $136 million.

Comment

Or the governor realizes he has to negotiate if he wants his big PFD checks.
                Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                  Or the governor realizes he has to negotiate if he wants his big PFD checks.
                  Except that he doesn't have to negotiate. As I understand it, he's already won. The only way he loses now is if seven of the Wasilla 22 break ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                    The NCAA financials have an expenses category for "debt service payments (principal and interest, including internal loan programs), leases and rental fees for athletics facilities for the reporting year regardless of entity paying (athletics, institution or other)." since 2015. Before that they used "direct facilities costs charged to intercollegiate athletics, including building and grounds maintenance, utilities, rentals fees, operating leases, equipment repair and maintenance, and debt service." I have columns for both on my spreadsheet and UAA reported the following amounts for debt service/leases for 2015-18:
                    2015 $163,065
                    2016 $196,985
                    2017 $186,722
                    2018 $207,484
                    The direct facilities costs were much lower for 2012-14, but about $185 thousand for 2010 and 2011. The financials also have a revenue category for "Revenues from: Game Programs, Novelties, Food and Concessions, Parking." and UAA has reported revenue for the category every year I have compiled information for (2010-18), so it appears that they do receive at least of that revenue.

For UA_ the facility debt/lease costs for 2015 & 2016 were:
                    2015 $179,307
                    2016 $186,740
                    For 2014 the direct cost was $254,281, but before that it appears that UA_ did not breakdown the cost of the facilities for hockey. UA_ also reported revenue from parking and game sales for 2010-16.

Also, for what it's worth, UA_ reported direct state support for athletics averaging just over $3 million per year for 2010-13. That included an average of $750 thousand a year that went to the hockey team.

Sean
                    I believe the only money UAA makes would be from "novelties". They sell jerseys, sweatshirts, hats, etc. Too bad all of those money makers are all lumped into one category.
                    Originally Posted by aparch
                    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Re: Ak/uaa

UAA sent out the seat selection fiasco to season ticket holders today.
                      UA_ is still planning on the Carlson ice holding for the season?

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                        The plan is to play the 2019-20 home season at the Carlson Center, according to a KTUU story posted 2 1/2 months ago, with the Patty Ice Arena to serve as a backup option. Haven't heard anything since that said plan has changed.
                        "No matter where you go, there you are"

Comment

• Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                          Yes.

Part of the reason the Carlson is still in play is because we (currently) have more season ticket holders than the Patty Center has capacity.
                          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            He moved too quick to see the cuts to UAF, but I believe they were similar. Yikes. That's ridiculous.

He's really pushing the "New UA" where it's one University, with each School of [whatever] Colleges take place in their existing facilities, where no campus offers the same classes.
                            Johnsen has pushed that concept for about as long as he’s had the job.
                            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                              Yes.

Part of the reason the Carlson is still in play is because we (currently) have more season ticket holders than the Patty Center has capacity.
                              Good on you guys!
                              Any idea on a timeline for starting the Patty upgrade?

Comment

• Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                                The 5 day clock starts ticking when the special session starts is the way I understand it.
                                Who makes the determination of when the special session starts?
                                Will it be in Palin land or down South?
                                And who makes that call?
                                This whole thing is a farce.
                                Keep em dumb because they got a lot of oil.

Sad. Very.

Comment

Working...
                                X