• Re: Ak/uaa

Well, at least this guy's proceeding as if the season is happening:

https://***********/EQLife11/status/1155188665938673664

Comment

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post

I have a feeling they are safe for this quickly approaching season, not sure about future seasons.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Senator Bill Wielechowski posted this around 4 pm today on Facebook:

The Senate Finance Committee just passed a compromise bipartisan operating budget that restores about 75% of Governor Dunleavy's vetoes and includes a full statutory $3,000 PFD. There are still total cuts of about $400 million to the budget. Senior Benefits, University funding, Medicaid and Power Cost Equalization have been largely restored.The bill now goes to the full Senate floor, probably on Monday.
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
          I have a feeling they are safe for this quickly approaching season, not sure about future seasons.
          I fear he will just veto and with the republicans we can not override.
          And with the $3,000 PFD he'll probably be reelected.
          Sad.
          Very sad.
          Last edited by Seawolf Fan; 07-28-2019, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
            That may be what he is trying to do but the line that caught my attention was:

I read in several articles that UA is a leader in climate research and the cuts could adversely impact that. The above statement makes me think the governor may be trying to kill that research completely. He already abolished the state's climate-change commission, so this would seem to be another of his targets.

Sean
            I'm sure that's in his sights. The one thing that might save it though is that a lot of rich AAU universities partner with UA on climate research, and hopefully, they'll come to the rescue with some external funding that's out of the Governor's reach.

Comment

Don't be fooled when they call it bipartisan. The state senate is a GOP supermajority and the original budget passed the chamber 20-0. What matters is the Governor and his Wasilla 22. Are any of them on board with this compromise?

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                Don't be fooled when they call it bipartisan. The state senate is a GOP supermajority and the original budget passed the chamber 20-0. What matters is the Governor and his Wasilla 22. Are any of them on board with this compromise?
                It is absolutely pathetic that a group can support a bill that much but not be willing to over-rule a veto...
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Op-Ed in the News Miner by two UAF volleyball players:

'The future of athletics should not be up in the air'

http://www.newsminer.com/opinion/com...5530e3558.html
                  “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                    Op-Ed in the News Miner by two UAF volleyball players:

https://www.newsminer.com/opinion/co...5530e3558.html
                    Ugh, can't read it, I even tried incognito mode.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post

Definitely a promising sign.

I think the Alaskas will be okay this coming season. I don't think they would wait this close to the season to cut hockey/athletics.
                      LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post

I think the Alaskas will be okay this coming season. I don't think they would wait this close to the season to cut hockey/athletics.
                        I certainly hope you end up being correct.
                        No disrespect intended however perhaps you are not as familiar with Alaska R's and this Governor as some others are.

Comment

I think you have this backwards...they're trying to keep stuff as long as they can but there are really zero guarantees that 2019-20 season athletics are safe. They haven't solved the problems created by the government yet so right now they're just trying to figure it out and/or act like everything will be fine until they can't do it anymore.
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Since when does a govt agency ever care about athletics compared to education compared to making more people happy to get re-elected.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                              FYI, if you download the News Miner app you can read all of their articles without the paywall.

Zoey Keene and Cate Whiting·20 hours ago
                              When explaining where we ended up for college, the question that tends to come up nine times out of 10 is, "Of all places, why did you choose University of Alaska Fairbanks?" While many people's answers would vary, it can safely be said that for more than 100 students at UAF the answer would be athletics.

On one hand, we have a born and raised Alaska athlete who chose to attend UAF to continue representing her state. UAF never crossed her mind until one day at camp she caught the eye of UAF volleyball coach Brian Scott, who planted the seed of Fairbanks in her mind. A few weeks later she hesitantly went up to Fairbanks for the very first time on a recruitment visit. From that day on, she knew in her heart and had no doubts that she wanted to be a Nanook, not only for the sense of community she felt on her visit, but the opportunities that laid at hand academically. While pursuing degrees in biology and physiology, she was thrilled to be wearing blue and gold throughout the journey she was about to embark on. This was her opportunity to not only come out of college debt-free but to help create a legacy that would be remembered in the Athletics Department.

On the other hand, we have an athlete from the Midwest who never thought she would be able to play a college sport out of her home state of South Dakota. A new window opened up when she received a call from a volleyball coach in Fairbanks. When it finally came time to make her college decision, she ended up with two options: attending a college 15 minutes away from home or playing volleyball and pursuing a degree in civil engineering at a college more than 2,000 miles away. Surprisingly, the decision ended up being a lot easier than she thought. On her visit she realized that, while she would be far away from home, she would have a new family to be a part of. She would be blessed with the opportunity to be a college athlete and role model while wearing the UAF blue and gold.

The future of athletics should not be up in the air. Athletics is not a luxury to a university. In reality, there is no luxurious life to be lived as a student-athlete. Many have the misconception that we, as student-athletes, have everything handed to us on a silver platter. In reality, thousands of hours have been dedicated to the gym and classroom to get where we are today. Many sacrifices are made to pursue a sport while also trying to excel at academics. Between the study sessions with lab groups and early morning weight training with teammates or finishing up those last few textbook problems and staying up late studying the scouting report, athletics has taught us not only how to be a team player but also how to manage our time effectively and overcome and deal with adversity. It is more than just a game or even a program as a whole. Athletics has shaped us into who we have become today.

Our athletics program is made up of talented athletes, but a lot of our success can be attributed to hometown support that we received. At the beginning of every volleyball game when looking out into the crowd, we see fellow classmates, friends, other athletes, professors, administrators and advisers. Along with familiar faces from our university, local athletes attend the competitions as well. These athletes range in age from younger beginners just learning to play a sport to athletes from the Fairbanks area high schools. College athletics is an inspiring experience for young athletes who dream of becoming the best they can be. We have the ability to pass along our legacy and expectations to the next generation of student-athletes.

When looking at the fate of UAF's future, it is possible that 100-plus elite student-athletes will leave Fairbanks without the athletics program it currently offers. From Alaska or beyond, these are student-athletes with a strong desire to represent the university both within the state and around the country traveling for competitions. Our successes on and off the athletic stage bring needed attention to UAF, and when UAF succeeds, the community of Fairbanks succeeds right beside us. It's not just about saving athletics but saving how the University of Alaska Fairbanks is viewed and the quality of education it provides.

Zoey Keene and Cate Whiting are both members of the University of Alaska Fairbanks volleyball team. Keene is a sophomore from Anchorage studying biology and physiology. Whiting is a junior from Rapid City, South Dakota studying civil engineering.
                              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                                Community Perspective
                                ‘The future of athletics should not be up in the air’
                                Zoey Keene and Cate Whiting 20 hrs ago

When explaining where we ended up for college, the question that tends to come up nine times out of 10 is, “Of all places, why did you choose University of Alaska Fairbanks?” While many people’s answers would vary, it can safely be said that for more than 100 students at UAF the answer would be athletics.

On one hand, we have a born and raised Alaska athlete who chose to attend UAF to continue representing her state. UAF never crossed her mind until one day at camp she caught the eye of UAF volleyball coach Brian Scott, who planted the seed of Fairbanks in her mind. A few weeks later she hesitantly went up to Fairbanks for the very first time on a recruitment visit. From that day on, she knew in her heart and had no doubts that she wanted to be a Nanook, not only for the sense of community she felt on her visit, but the opportunities that laid at hand academically. While pursuing degrees in biology and physiology, she was thrilled to be wearing blue and gold throughout the journey she was about to embark on. This was her opportunity to not only come out of college debt-free but to help create a legacy that would be remembered in the Athletics Department.

On the other hand, we have an athlete from the Midwest who never thought she would be able to play a college sport out of her home state of South Dakota. A new window opened up when she received a call from a volleyball coach in Fairbanks. When it finally came time to make her college decision, she ended up with two options: attending a college 15 minutes away from home or playing volleyball and pursuing a degree in civil engineering at a college more than 2,000 miles away. Surprisingly, the decision ended up being a lot easier than she thought. On her visit she realized that, while she would be far away from home, she would have a new family to be a part of. She would be blessed with the opportunity to be a college athlete and role model while wearing the UAF blue and gold.

The future of athletics should not be up in the air. Athletics is not a luxury to a university. In reality, there is no luxurious life to be lived as a student-athlete. Many have the misconception that we, as student-athletes, have everything handed to us on a silver platter. In reality, thousands of hours have been dedicated to the gym and classroom to get where we are today. Many sacrifices are made to pursue a sport while also trying to excel at academics. Between the study sessions with lab groups and early morning weight training with teammates or finishing up those last few textbook problems and staying up late studying the scouting report, athletics has taught us not only how to be a team player but also how to manage our time effectively and overcome and deal with adversity. It is more than just a game or even a program as a whole. Athletics has shaped us into who we have become today.

Our athletics program is made up of talented athletes, but a lot of our success can be attributed to hometown support that we received. At the beginning of every volleyball game when looking out into the crowd, we see fellow classmates, friends, other athletes, professors, administrators and advisers. Along with familiar faces from our university, local athletes attend the competitions as well. These athletes range in age from younger beginners just learning to play a sport to athletes from the Fairbanks area high schools. College athletics is an inspiring experience for young athletes who dream of becoming the best they can be. We have the ability to pass along our legacy and expectations to the next generation of student-athletes.
                                When looking at the fate of UAF’s future, it is possible that 100-plus elite student-athletes will leave Fairbanks without the athletics program it currently offers. From Alaska or beyond, these are student-athletes with a strong desire to represent the university both within the state and around the country traveling for competitions. Our successes on and off the athletic stage bring needed attention to UAF, and when UAF succeeds, the community of Fairbanks succeeds right beside us. It’s not just about saving athletics but saving how the University of Alaska Fairbanks is viewed and the quality of education it provides.

Zoey Keene and Cate Whiting are both members of the University of Alaska Fairbanks volleyball team. Keene is a sophomore from Anchorage studying biology and physiology. Whiting is a junior from Rapid City, South Dakota studying civil engineering.

Comment

Working...
                                X