Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ak/uaa

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    So essentially a few of the governor's construction buddies reminded him they were going to lose sweet federal dollars because of his veto and to provide political cover to this government handout he agreed to graciously increase the university budget so the system will "only" have to cut $70 million over three years. And the rest of the social safety net? Safe to assume that budget is in tatters?

So the fallout is that social programs and the university system are devastated, oil and construction executives make out great, the recall petition will lose momentum and the governor knows he can get away with almost anything and remain untouched.

That about sum it up?
    I don't think the recall movement has slowed down one bit. Dunleavy hasn't fooled anyone by his recent turnaround. A ton of damage has already been done to the University system. What student wants to go there not knowing if more cuts will be made? What teacher wants to work there not knowing if they will have a job in a few years? Here is an excellent article:

https://www.dermotcole.com/reporting...xljxUAMdtlsSMA
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
      I don't think the recall movement has slowed down one bit. Dunleavy hasn't fooled anyone by his recent turnaround. A ton of damage has already been done to the University system. What student wants to go there not knowing if more cuts will be made? What teacher wants to work there not knowing if they will have a job in a few years? Here is an excellent article:

Can you imagine how it has affected the coaches trying to recruit? They got hit hard by the last governmental death threat. And just as they’re about to almost have a normal recruiting season, this happens.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post

We'll see. Part of his calculation is that the people most vocal about the recall will either be 1) placated by this (not likely) or 2) too busy fighting turf wars over his table scraps to worry about the recall (more likely)

Only time will tell if he calculated correctly.

On another note, will the university system still be seeking the single accreditation model? If it is, how will that effect athletics? With $70 million on the chopping block and an uncertain future for both hockey teams (thanks WCHA) what are the odds the university cuts its losses and eliminates one or both programs?

Comment

$5 per hockey event to park
          Green & Gold
          Exhibition Game (if not at SXQ or McDonald or Palinville or PAQ)
          16 home games
          $90 to park
          It was $6 at the Sully so not a bad deal.
          Last edited by Seawolf Fan; 08-15-2019, 07:15 PM.

Comment

We'll see. Part of his calculation is that the people most vocal about the recall will either be 1) placated by this (not likely) or 2) too busy fighting turf wars over his table scraps to worry about the recall (more likely)

Only time will tell if he calculated correctly.

On another note, will the university system still be seeking the single accreditation model? If it is, how will that effect athletics? With $70 million on the chopping block and an uncertain future for both hockey teams (thanks WCHA) what are the odds the university cuts its losses and eliminates one or both programs?
            Are you following the facebook group to recall him? I don't think they are even thinking about winding down. They want him GONE!
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
              Are you following the facebook group to recall him? I don't think they are even thinking about winding down. They want him GONE!
              I haven't been following. I would assume everyone in the group who can sign the recall has signed. Convincing the other (10,000?) required signatories will be the challenge. This would have all been factored in by the governor's advisors. If they didn't think this would placate enough people the budget would have been adjusted accordingly. The governor sounds like a corrupt ******* bent on giving the Alaskan treasury to his oil executive buddies. Good luck recalling him.

Comment

An uncertain future for both hockey teams (thanks WCHA)...
                That's harsh. No one at the WCHA is asking either of the Alaska schools to leave the WCHA or is kicking them out of the conference.
                However they will likely need to convert their teams to women's programs...
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                  That's harsh. No one at the WCHA is asking either of the Alaska schools to leave the WCHA or is kicking them out of the conference.
                  However they will likely need to convert their teams to women's programs...
                  The league itself isn't telling the UA_ schools to pound sand...just every other team in the league is telling them to pound sand...

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    I haven't been following. I would assume everyone in the group who can sign the recall has signed. Convincing the other (10,000?) required signatories will be the challenge. This would have all been factored in by the governor's advisors. If they didn't think this would placate enough people the budget would have been adjusted accordingly. The governor sounds like a corrupt ******* bent on giving the Alaskan treasury to his oil executive buddies. Good luck recalling him.
                    They already have over 29,000 signatures, enough to be certified to go to the second phase.
                    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                      The league itself isn't telling the UA_ schools to pound sand...just every other team in the league is telling them to pound sand...
                      Not at all what’s happening.
                      Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

And they will be at the state fair, I expect a ton more signatures by the time the fair is over. Too bad they can't get the signatures for the second round at the fair!

Interesting article on the "Great" Don Lucia and his interest in UA_.

https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/65...m_medium=email

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Alaska Hockey Great Don Lucia Goes Back To The Future
                          https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/65...-to-the-future
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

That's great!

Comment

• Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                              That’s exactly what’s happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                                Yes it is. I drink, and I know things.
                                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Working...
                                X