X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 201: A State You Don't Expect

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
    At the time I thought the train was a great option but I didn't realize all the delays, changes which involved busing etc. I never realized how often they happened. That was way back when. Now they talk about it on the news. Where I was living at the time doing what you could would have been a nightmare- I wasn't near the highway and working Eves. If I missed the train I was stuck for the night.
    It's actually way more convenient for me to take the bus from North Londonderry or Nashua than to take any of the commuter rails. Likely, tcbg would give me a ride to the bus station in the morning on his way in and then pick me up whenever I got home (or I can uber from N. Londonderry for about 10$ is if it was super late). The buses go to N/S stations and the hospital I'm looking at has shuttles directly to the hospital from those hubs. The commuter rail was more expensive and was more time consuming. I'm not sure what my next step is going to be. I'm not SUPER unhappy where I am, but also feel kind of like I'm stagnating. There isn't much going on in my Unit anymore as far as new tech or new machines (ECMO was moved up to the CCU/ICU). I'm not wild about the people in the CCU/ICU nor the manager (she's a nice person, but I don't know if I'd want to work for her - she was the asst. manager in my Unit for about a year). I'm more bored than anything actually being wrong. I do love my coworkers (and would never go to days on my Unit because I do not love those coworkers). There are only a few jobs at a specific hospital that would make me consider the big move/change.

My other thought would be to apply at a hospital very near you in their NICU to get experience, but I don't want to commit to another weekend of work, which I would likely have to do. I'm very spoiled by my current place only requiring every third weekend. If that were to come to fruition, I'd likely drop to part-time at the current job and then do per diem at that hospital, but the financials of that move make me wary.

Comment

Evening, Lodge. Sunday Funday was indeed fun. A co-owner of the local brewery and I brought in beer/mead to share, and all the Sunday regulars happened to show up. Instead of sitting on the rail, we ended up actually taking a table. Looking around, we arrogantly (of course) dubbed ourselves "The High Council Of (brewery)," and had a grand old time.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Good Morning, Lodge!
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Good morning Ralph!

Good morning to the rest of tLodge!
          Quinnipiac Bobcats
          2023 National Champions
          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
          Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

s'upp y'all
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Good morning Lodge.

The g family is currently vacationing at the north shore. One of my all time favorite areas.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gmann View Post
                Good morning Lodge.

The g family is currently vacationing at the north shore. One of my all time favorite areas.
                I did a week on Devil's Track Lake in July. Nice area, but the biting flies are far too numerous.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  I did a week on Devil's Track Lake in July. Nice area, but the biting flies are far too numerous.
                  So far the bugs are a non factor. Our home base is the Schroeder area.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                    It's actually way more convenient for me to take the bus from North Londonderry or Nashua than to take any of the commuter rails. Likely, tcbg would give me a ride to the bus station in the morning on his way in and then pick me up whenever I got home (or I can uber from N. Londonderry for about 10$ is if it was super late). The buses go to N/S stations and the hospital I'm looking at has shuttles directly to the hospital from those hubs. The commuter rail was more expensive and was more time consuming. I'm not sure what my next step is going to be. I'm not SUPER unhappy where I am, but also feel kind of like I'm stagnating. There isn't much going on in my Unit anymore as far as new tech or new machines (ECMO was moved up to the CCU/ICU). I'm not wild about the people in the CCU/ICU nor the manager (she's a nice person, but I don't know if I'd want to work for her - she was the asst. manager in my Unit for about a year). I'm more bored than anything actually being wrong. I do love my coworkers (and would never go to days on my Unit because I do not love those coworkers). There are only a few jobs at a specific hospital that would make me consider the big move/change.

My other thought would be to apply at a hospital very near you in their NICU to get experience, but I don't want to commit to another weekend of work, which I would likely have to do. I'm very spoiled by my current place only requiring every third weekend. If that were to come to fruition, I'd likely drop to part-time at the current job and then do per diem at that hospital, but the financials of that move make me wary.
                    Yeah- where I was the bus and train went out of the same place. Now they have more options for the bus but then not so much.

This post made me realize how little I am looking to my job/career to supply me with interest or satisfaction. It is more a way to support my plant and photography habit as well as tread water with the bills for the next few yrs. I miss the human interaction and the helping portion but I am totally unwilling to give up the flexibility I have now. Also I have a very distinct view of what I think Medicine should work like and that doesn't exist anymore unless I were to move to another country. The thought of having to jump back into that, function with the chronic injustice and frustration of dealing with ridiculous manmade barriers to provide care that should be a no brainer- it gives me hives just thinking of it.

Good Afternoon Lodge!

Comment

Afternoon, y’all.
                      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Are you moving to NH? If so, or really any further north than where I kind of remember you being, I would definitely test drive the commute. It sucks, but ... *shrug*. I'm looking a jobs in the city and I'm thinking of doing a couple test runs of the commute before even applying since it's likely to be ~90 minutes of commuting (10-15 minutes to the bus, 75 minutes on the bus to South Station, 10-15 minutes to the potential employer).
                        Definitely not looking north, unfortunately. I love Cow Hampshire but I'm absolutely not looking to extend my commute, and if things go the way I suspect they're going to go at my current job, I'll be here another couple years at least.

I'm not sure which hospital you're looking at, but it does not sound like mine. I researched public transportation but it would either require:

Commuter rail
                        Train
                        Bus
                        Shuttle bus

Or:
                        drive 35 minutes
                        Train
                        Bus
                        Shuttle bus

Public transportation around Boston is garbage, even when it's working. I'd have to budget 2 hours each way and as you mention, schedule adjustments would be almost impossible. It just isn't worth it, and this isn't even taking into consideration the colossal pile of garbage that the MBTA is.
                        I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                          Definitely not looking north, unfortunately. I love Cow Hampshire but I'm absolutely not looking to extend my commute, and if things go the way I suspect they're going to go at my current job, I'll be here another couple years at least.

I'm not sure which hospital you're looking at, but it does not sound like mine. I researched public transportation but it would either require:

Commuter rail
                          Train
                          Bus
                          Shuttle bus

Or:
                          drive 35 minutes
                          Train
                          Bus
                          Shuttle bus

Public transportation around Boston is garbage, even when it's working. I'd have to budget 2 hours each way and as you mention, schedule adjustments would be almost impossible. It just isn't worth it, and this isn't even taking into consideration the colossal pile of garbage that the MBTA is.
                          This applies to where I live. If the weather was bad I can't imagine being able to get home in under 3+ hours from where I worked in Boston.. Even if I could get part way home trying to score an Uber in a timely enough way with all the other people trying to do the same.

I read this stuff and shy away. My tolerance for losing free time is almost non-existent.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                            This applies to where I live. If the weather was bad I can't imagine being able to get home in under 3+ hours from where I worked in Boston.. Even if I could get part way home trying to score an Uber in a timely enough way with all the other people trying to do the same.

I read this stuff and shy away. My tolerance for losing free time is almost non-existent.
                            Agreed. As I get older I put a higher and higher value on my personal time.
                            I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                              Agreed. As I get older I put a higher and higher value on my personal time.
                              Way back, I lived 30 minutes (with good traffic) from work. For the MNs, lived in Burnsville/worked in Golden Valley, yes, the dreaded "across the river." Never again. Since then, I have not lived more than 10 miles from my job (the closest was about 2 miles, the furthest was about 7 on average).
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                                Way back, I lived 30 minutes (with good traffic) from work. For the MNs, lived in Burnsville/worked in Golden Valley, yes, the dreaded "across the river." Never again. Since then, I have not lived more than 10 miles from my job (the closest was about 2 miles, the furthest was about 7 on average).
                                I live about 10 miles out of town. The only issues I experience with slow drive times is either nasty winter weather or the occasional tractor hogging the lane or an extremely slow driver. Sometimes all three at he same time.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X