Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Position For Bob Emery

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
    You don't give a multiple national championship winning coach, one of the winningest college coaches in history, an entry-level title. Sometimes you need to award a title befitting of the person in the role. Merrimack could have hired a twenty-something to do a similar job, paid them less, and given them a lesser title, but presumably they wanted the expertise of an accomplished coach in the role.

This is one of the job responsibilities: "-Provide mentorship and coach development strategies to the coaching staff."

Twenty-something "Hockey Ops Associate" can't do that.

The title doesn't even seem that inflated to be honest.
    I know I'm making a subtle point here - I'm talking about the general trend in society, not this specific case. There are a lot of people hired in the job with the title of director of hockey operations who are 20 something gophers. It is a common job in DI hockey, but most of the people who attain that title are less qualified than Emery. Titles tend to inflate and when they do, somebody who may merit the title (as inflated) are pulled down by the expectations that people have for the job, based on what the inflated title means. "Director of Hockey Operations" is in most cases an entry-level position, but it sounds like more. If anybody deserves the respect the title implies it is Emery, but he is lumped in with those who are far less qualified than he is. I'm probably being way too subtle here to explain my point.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

yes , but does he get a participation trophy??? ..

Comment

It's clear the ignorance of the people in this board of who has and has not worked in collegiate athletics by what they know about Directors of Operations at schools. I do work at a D1 school comparable in size to Merrimack and know the behind-the-scenes things that need to be done to ensure quality within the program.

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
        I think you’re drastically underestimating how much the position does. There is a LOT of administrative work that goes into running a D3 program, more or less a D1 program. Sure it’s not the same rigors of being the head coach of a D3 program with late nights and missed weekends on the road recruiting, but there is still plenty of work that needs to be done that goes into running college athletic teams behind the scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          I know I'm making a subtle point here - I'm talking about the general trend in society, not this specific case. There are a lot of people hired in the job with the title of director of hockey operations who are 20 something gophers. It is a common job in DI hockey, but most of the people who attain that title are less qualified than Emery. Titles tend to inflate and when they do, somebody who may merit the title (as inflated) are pulled down by the expectations that people have for the job, based on what the inflated title means. "Director of Hockey Operations" is in most cases an entry-level position, but it sounds like more. If anybody deserves the respect the title implies it is Emery, but he is lumped in with those who are far less qualified than he is. I'm probably being way too subtle here to explain my point.
          Trying to compare to the private sector is difficult, but if we consider the whole team "Hockey Operations", then we can start the hierarchy with the Head Coach ("President of Hockey Operations", though sometimes that title is also used for an Assistant AD-level staff dedicated to hockey), Assistant Coaches ("VPs" of Hockey Operations), so the next logical step down is "Director".

I do agree with you in worlds other than hockey, though -- title inflation is a trend and an issue. My boss wanted to add Director to my title, to make our firm sound larger....we're three people. Hah!

r

Comment

Originally posted by BKrosky View Post
            It's clear the ignorance of the people in this board of who has and has not worked in collegiate athletics by what they know about Directors of Operations at schools. I do work at a D1 school comparable in size to Merrimack and know the behind-the-scenes things that need to be done to ensure quality within the program.
            Can't be that hard to go to hotels.com and book 15 rooms...

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
              Trying to compare to the private sector is difficult, but if we consider the whole team "Hockey Operations", then we can start the hierarchy with the Head Coach ("President of Hockey Operations", though sometimes that title is also used for an Assistant AD-level staff dedicated to hockey), Assistant Coaches ("VPs" of Hockey Operations), so the next logical step down is "Director".

I do agree with you in worlds other than hockey, though -- title inflation is a trend and an issue. My boss wanted to add Director to my title, to make our firm sound larger....we're three people. Hah!

r
              Not demeaning the job, but director of hockey operations sounds like a position that would lie between the AD and Head Coach and that's not what it is at all.
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Bob Emery sat down as a guest for a podcast for Brady Farkas of 101.3 The Game (Burlington-Plattsburgh). The episode was posted this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by d3hockey57 View Post
                  Can't be that hard to go to hotels.com and book 15 rooms...
                  Wow....guess you didn't read previous posts! Or you can't comprehend.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                    Bob Emery sat down as a guest for a podcast for Brady Farkas of 101.3 The Game (Burlington-Plattsburgh). The episode was posted this afternoon.
                    Great interview!
                    Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Working...
                    X