Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Abortion: Why Not Thoughts and Prayers?

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    mookie I think you're being intentionally obtuse. I'm probably not the first person to consider this argument, but I think I was the first one to advance it here. Life insurance for kids in many forms is not a new idea.

I'm not arguing for or against it, but if Conservatives insist on declaring a fetus a human being (nay child) as early as 6 weeks after conception than they should have to reconcile with insurers that this child can be insured the same way a child is now.

An intentional miscarriage (not difficult to prove if you've studied up on it) would be the same as murder and negate the policy.
    This.

A little bit different twist than the life insurance take, but consider this hypothetical. Person X is pregnant and gets rear-ended in an accident by Toetfeasor Y. As a result of the accident, Person X has a miscarriage. If a fetus is a person, Person X could bring a wrongful death claim against Tortfeasor Y, which would likely net a judgment in excess of Tortfeasor Y's liability policy, and Person X could then make an underinsured motorist claim under her own policy.

As could be imagined (and as alluded to above), this would have a huge impact on the insurance industry and the premiums we all pay.

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    mookie I think you're being intentionally obtuse. I'm probably not the first person to consider this argument, but I think I was the first one to advance it here. Life insurance for kids in many forms is not a new idea.

I'm not arguing for or against it, but if Conservatives insist on declaring a fetus a human being (nay child) as early as 6 weeks after conception than they should have to reconcile with insurers that this child can be insured the same way a child is now.

An intentional miscarriage (not difficult to prove if you've studied up on it) would be the same as murder and negate the policy.
    Yes
    Yes
    And yes

Re: Abortion: Why Not Thoughts and Prayers?

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    This.

A little bit different twist than the life insurance take, but consider this hypothetical. Person X is pregnant and gets rear-ended in an accident by Toetfeasor Y. As a result of the accident, Person X has a miscarriage. If a fetus is a person, Person X could bring a wrongful death claim against Tortfeasor Y, which would likely net a judgment in excess of Tortfeasor Y's liability policy, and Person X could then make an underinsured motorist claim under her own policy.

As could be imagined (and as alluded to above), this would have a huge impact on the insurance industry and the premiums we all pay.
    I like it. I hope someone on the Democratic Side is bringing up legislation in State Houses across the country for this very thing.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I like it. I hope someone on the Democratic Side is bringing up legislation in State Houses across the country for this very thing.
    So the people who passed the anti abortion laws to begin with are going to move it along??

States with D majorities would have a need to do so

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    So the people who passed the anti abortion laws to begin with are going to move it along??

States with D majorities would have a need to do so
    No, they're not. But, it still needs to be brought up. That's how democracy works. It needs to be brought up, it needs to be put in the media. Etc, etc. etc.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

No, they're not. But, it still needs to be brought up. That's how democracy works. It needs to be brought up, it needs to be put in the media. Etc, etc. etc.
    Waste of time. Incredible waste of time in resources where it is not needed.
    Attack the source. Passing some stupid bill in CA wonít move the dial.
    D U M dum

And not new. If media cared theyíd already have brought it up. Rachel comment yet? No. Even she thinks itís a non starter

Waste of time. Incredible waste of time in resources where it is not needed.
    Attack the source. Passing some stupid bill in CA wonít move the dial.
    D U M dum
    Actually the smart bills are being passed in many progressive states. California, NY are basically ratifying a woman's right to choose in their State Constitutions. I think it's gone to that level. They are at least passing laws making it legal.

Actually the smart bills are being passed in many progressive states. California, NY are basically ratifying a woman's right to choose in their State Constitutions. I think it's gone to that level. They are at least passing laws making it legal.
    Good
    Donít waste time on fetus life insurance

Good
    I donít think anyone wants to. But we should stop declaring a clump of cells as a live person.

Good
    We would be happy not to be doing anything but the Republicans keep moving the goalposts.

We would be happy not to be doing anything but the Republicans keep moving the goalposts.
    Then vote.
    Shoot the senate leader
    Firebomb bank hq (but please tell rover to go for coffee first )

There aren't very many rules on the forum but I'm pretty sure you just violated all of them. You should probably delete your post. Sometimes they feel they have no choice and they nix you. And yes obviously you were joking but I don't think they can assume that.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

There's no more time for the Hyde Amendment. That has to be a strong veto for any Dem candidate.

The whole idea was it would neuter the resistance of the apes but have you seen what the apes are up to? We're in a f-cking existential struggle for women's rights and this old man wants to keep on trading favors to the enemy so maybe they don't get mad?

Time to go, Joe. The world has passed you by.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Apartheid Loving Conservadem!

The world passed him by a decade ago. Some of us told you all that in 2016 when everyone seemed hell bent on having him run because pollsters said he would win. (like they are now)
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Internet Nutcase

meanwhile Maine passed a law to allow abortions to be performed by nurse practitioners, physician assistants and nurse midwives (I believe it's still waiting governor's signature, but she supported the bill and is expected to sign it). They also just passed a law to require MaineCare (Maine's medicaid program) and private health insurance to cover abortion (this one has been signed into law).

Quote Originally Posted by BassAle View Post
    meanwhile Maine passed a law to allow abortions to be performed by nurse practitioners, physician assistants and nurse midwives (I believe it's still waiting governor's signature, but she supported the bill and is expected to sign it). They also just passed a law to require MaineCare (Maine's medicaid program) and private health insurance to cover abortion (this one has been signed into law).
    We continue to bifurcate into a modern blue democracy and an iron age red autocracy.

We do not belong together. Let's get a divorce already.

Imagine the relief. For everybody.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Never understand Kepler and his confusion

He keeps thinking humans have evolved yet is a fan of opera.

Every story and plot line from any opera written 300 years ago can be duplicated today

Mookie thinks Kepler is the one with issues

An anonymous doctor posts an essay about how a state with a late-term abortion ban caused a woman to birth a child with no brain or skull.

Thread Information