Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

Quote Originally Posted by osualum86 View Post
    Loved the video and the excitement from the girls after that one last night. As for Wiz, I am hoping he is not just a short-term coach. I think he is a great addition and the girls seem to like him. You are correct about our other coaches ... Nadine, Milica, and Emily are all former Gophers.
    Thanks for confirming.
    Ohio State fans may already know but this game is airing on Sports Time Ohio. Iím loving it. Never saw these guys on tv before.

Thanks for that Pgb! I was missing it, and it was worth the wait! Watching the girls on tv now. With the package we have on DirecTV, we actually get Fox Sports North. Got some work to do in the third. Gophers leading 2-1 at the second intermission.
    Oh i see you did know itís on tv.

Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Oh i see you did know itís on tv.
    I knew, but shoot, I did not realize it was on Sports Time Ohio. Good on Sports Time Ohio for showing it.

Minnesota earned the split today with a hard-fought 2-1 win over the Buckeyes. The Gophers opened the scoring on a PP goal from Amy Potomak. The Buckeyes would answer later in the first period on a goal from Sophie Jaques to tie it at 1, and that is how the first period ended. Minnesota got a goal from Emily Oden in the second period to go up 2-1 and that is how the period ended. Neither team scored in the third period and that is how it ended with the Gophers winning today's contest 2-1. Ohio State outshot Minnesota today 30-26 with Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli stopping 24 of the 26 shots she faced. Minnesota goaltender Sydney Scobee stopped 29 of the 30 shots she faced. The Buckeyes will return home for a non-league tilt against Quinnipiac. The Gophers head to Madison for a big series with the Badgers.

Minnesota earned the split today with a hard-fought 2-1 win over the Buckeyes. The Gophers opened the scoring on a PP goal from Amy Potomak. The Buckeyes would answer later in the first period on a goal from Sophie Jaques to tie it at 1, and that is how the first period ended. Minnesota got a goal from Emily Oden in the second period to go up 2-1 and that is how the period ended. Neither team scored in the third period and that is how it ended with the Gophers winning today's contest 2-1. Ohio State outshot Minnesota today 30-26 with Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli stopping 24 of the 26 shots she faced. Minnesota goaltender Sydney Scobee stopped 29 of the 30 shots she faced. The Buckeyes will return home for a non-league tilt against Quinnipiac. The Gophers head to Madison for a big series with the Badgers.
    Only Muzz could rain on what has become a great hockey event for all involved by saying she never wants to play in another Hockey Day outdoor game. Yeah, you lost. Show some class and think about how cool it was for at least your MN players to participate in. If OSU had won her comments on the event likely would have been different. Pouty players do that, not professional coaches.

I'm on Muzz's side. It's insane to be playing these games in those conditions. It's perfectly possible to celebrate hockey in Minnesota without spending several hours in -25 wind chills.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    I'm on Muzz's side. It's insane to be playing these games in those conditions. It's perfectly possible to celebrate hockey in Minnesota without spending several hours in -25 wind chills.
    It does make you wonder when "Plan B" (moving the game indoors to the adjacent Parade Ice Gardens) would have kicked in.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    Iíve heard nothing but positive things from coaches and players who have participated over the years (except Muzz of course). The typical player response is itís a great hockey memory theyíll have for a lifetime. I do, however, think it should not be a game that counts for WCHA points. Points in this league are too hard to come by much less trying to earn them in an unpredictable outdoor winter environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Offsides Guy View Post
    If OSU had won her comments on the event likely would have been different. Pouty players do that, not professional coaches.
    Well she was one of yours and is well respected by nearly everybody in Minnesota, so do you really think she speaks only how the wind is blowing?
    You do her a serious discourtesy with such a baseless observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    Well she was one of yours and is well respected by nearly everybody in Minnesota, so do you really think she speaks only how the wind is blowing?
    You do her a serious discourtesy with such a baseless observation.
    Really? Listen to her postgame comments. https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/buckeyes-fall-to-gophers-2-1-in-hockey-day-minnesota/

Sheís also not above whining about the officiating when she loses. Compare that with Frosty as an example. The Gophers lose Fri with apparently some questionable officiating and all he says is his team got
    their butts kicked.

I’ve heard nothing but positive things from coaches and players who have participated over the years (except Muzz of course). The typical player response is it’s a great hockey memory they’ll have for a lifetime. I do, however, think it should not be a game that counts for WCHA points. Points in this league are too hard to come by much less trying to earn them in an unpredictable outdoor winter environment.
    My suspicion is that they like being part of an event, and getting recognized on TV, but that playing outdoors has little to do with it. As a fan, it is the only home game I've skipped this year.

The muzzinator...

"That second goal was a nice gift for them off the boards and you know that wouldn't normally happen in games and the conditions of the ice and the clock running a little bit more."

So the so called ice conditions were only affecting OSU and Minnesota got a so called break that never happens? A bounce off the boards? Ya don't say...And there was some home cooking on the game clock??? LMFAO.

The Rafters of The Schott & The OSU Ice Rink

Only Muzz could rain on what has become a great hockey event for all involved by saying she never wants to play in another Hockey Day outdoor game. Yeah, you lost. Show some class and think about how cool it was for at least your MN players to participate in.
    You have a chip on your shoulder with regard to Coach Muzz. I just watched the interview. I don't agree with her 100%, but the candor is refreshing; not "pouty." As far as I'm concerned, the only way you can get to "pouty" is by intentionally lifting a sentence or two out of context. Watching the interview as a whole, the commentary was not disrespectful.

90% of post-game interviews are politically correct to a fault, and as a result are mind-numbingly dull. Do we really need to stamp out the 10% worth listening to?

That said, you also make some good points. Keep reading...

If OSU had won her comments on the event likely would have been different...
    You're right that the outcome had everything to do with her reaction. No one could have known this when the outdoor game was scheduled, but Saturday's loss likely eliminated the Buckeyes from a realistic shot at a regular season championship. OK, even with a win, it would have been a tall mountain to climb. But it sure is nice when you're in the mix. The realization of an opportunity lost stings a bit, don't you think? Come Monday morning, Coach Muzz will have more perspective -- just like anyone would after a little time for reflection.

I'd also add that someday the NHL may hold an outdoor game at Ohio Stadium. With the necessary rink in place, there may be an opportunity for a Women's D-1 game. If so, I imagine Coach Muzz will feel quite differently at that point.

Iíve heard nothing but positive things from coaches and players who have participated over the years (except Muzz of course). The typical player response is itís a great hockey memory theyíll have for a lifetime. I do, however, think it should not be a game that counts for WCHA points. Points in this league are too hard to come by much less trying to earn them in an unpredictable outdoor winter environment.
    On this last point, we agree 100%. Outdoor games shouldn't count in the league standings, for the exact reason you state.

But I can't resist putting all the pieces together, and making one last comment. Suppose the outdoor game had been played as an exhibition, the way it should have been. Don't you think that Muzzerall's post-game interview would have been very different, even with the same final score? I sure do.

The Rafters of The Schott & The OSU Ice Rink

Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    The muzzinator...

"That second goal was a nice gift for them off the boards and you know that wouldn't normally happen in games and the conditions of the ice and the clock running a little bit more."

So the so called ice conditions were only affecting OSU and Minnesota got a so called break that never happens? A bounce off the boards? Ya don't say...And there was some home cooking on the game clock??? LMFAO.
    This would be a portion of the interview that I can't agree with. Oden read the angle of the initial shot very nicely and cashed the chance.

Don't know if the Gophers had more of a chance to practice on the outdoor ice than the Buckeyes did, and therefore learn the boards. But even if so, that's just home ice advantage.

At the same time, who woulda thunk that outdoor ice would affect the Buckeyes more than the Gophers? We're supposed to be the team that's creating turnovers and scoring on the counter, at least against the Gophers. Imperfect ice should have been our ally. Instead, it sure appeared that your team did a better job of adapting than the Buckeyes. You execute better, you tend to win. Good for the Gophers.

Quick question - Braendliis helmet looked like it had a city skyline painted on it. Anyone know what city or more details of the mask?

Quote Originally Posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    You have a chip on your shoulder with regard to Coach Muzz...Suppose the outdoor game had been played as an exhibition, the way it should have been. Don't you think that Muzzerall's post-game interview would have been very different, even with the same final score? I sure do.
    No chip. In fact, in terms of team success, Iíd say sheís consistently the best coach in the WCHA when you consider the rosters she has to work with compared to MN & WI. But, IMO she also throws her players under the bus more and blamed refs and the like more than any other coach in the league when she loses as well. I also look forward to her postgame comments to see how many times she can credit herself in a win.

Hereís the deal, we call out players on these forums all the time for not performing up to their potential or abilities. I hold coaches just as accountable for meeting the highest professional standards. I just donít think Muzz is there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    This would be a portion of the interview that I can't agree with. Oden read the angle of the initial shot very nicely and cashed the chance.

Don't know if the Gophers had more of a chance to practice on the outdoor ice than the Buckeyes did, and therefore learn the boards. But even if so, that's just home ice advantage.

At the same time, who woulda thunk that outdoor ice would affect the Buckeyes more than the Gophers? We're supposed to be the team that's creating turnovers and scoring on the counter, at least against the Gophers. Imperfect ice should have been our ally. Instead, it sure appeared that your team did a better job of adapting than the Buckeyes. You execute better, you tend to win. Good for the Gophers.
    I was thinking the same thing about OSU possibly benefiting more from the less than ideal ice conditions. I could be wrong but I don't think either team had "practice" other than what they had in warmups. Minnesota was really not very good on Friday night despite what a certain poster would pontificate about and they did adapt better than the Buckeyes on Saturday. Still though, overall a pretty good weekend for OSU.

Now I didn't see last weekends games so I didn't see the ice conditions or officiating but having witnessed many years of questionable to outright bad officiating with the men's team in the CCHA era is it really inappropriate for a coach to call out officiating when it costs your team?
    There's nothing wrong with giving your honest opinion is there although some will see it as sour grapes or excuse making?
    And I can see where Coach Muzzy would be sensitive to questionable calls when one such interference call took away what would have most likely been the winning goal against Clarkson in the FF.

No chip. In fact, in terms of team success, Iíd say sheís consistently the best coach in the WCHA when you consider the rosters she has to work with compared to MN & WI. But, IMO she also throws her players under the bus more and blamed refs and the like more than any other coach in the league when she loses as well. I also look forward to her postgame comments to see how many times she can credit herself in a win.

et.
    The gist of this is probably a fair take. I donít watch every postgame interview by any means. I think itís clear from my posts Iím a Muzerall fan. For better or for worse she wears her heart on her sleeve. While she can be hard on her players (or whoever) in her comments she has also shown genuine pride and emotion in her players successes over the years, most recently when the whole team carted off to Pittsburgh to cheer for Emma Maltais on Team Canada. I think sometimes the same things that make a coach great can be troublesome and maybe thatís a bit of what this is.

I think the 2nd goal was a gift to Minnesota, but the gift was thanks to the play of the Buckeyes. Muzerall has always been ďus against the worldĒ so of course sheís going to talk ice conditions.

Itís probably easier for the other coaches in the W to be chill after losses because you either have teams that arenít in the hunt for anything, or Wisc and Minn who have boatloads off hardware and past success, and can rest on their laurels a bit without worrying about recruiting and rankings and making the NCAA tourney. OSU is so close but still trying to get there so I understand the emotion.

Granted it was just after a loss (and Iím a fan) so itís easier for me to excise the ďweíll not do another hockey day minnesotaĒ comment. But what I would say about that is 2 things: no sympathy from me because partaking in these spectacles comes will all sorts of attention and recruiting upside they will use now and in the future. Heck this game was in tv in Ohio. How often does that happen (never) and how cool was it for us fans (very). Both OSU and Minnesota chose to be in 2 spectacle type events this year, and despite being two of the best teams in the country neither swept at those events. Itís hardly surprising give all the distraction and unusual conditions and you canít have it both ways so no sympathy, but sheís entitled to say sheís done with outdoor games. The second thing I would say about these spectacle events is that if you want to win a national championship youíre going to have to figure out how to win amidst a spectacle and maybe even with poor ice conditions (remember all the talk last year about the frozen four), so embrace it and figure it out, maybe itíll serve you well later.

Still a great weekend for OSU, and Muzerall is still one of the best coaches in the country. OSU is so close. Awesome finish by Jaques in her goal. Big time play. Liz Schepers needs more hype that woman is a fantastic passer. Jincy Dunne almost spring someone for a late scoring chance with seconds left in the game. Figure out the PP and this team could maybe win some trophies. Credit to Minnesota on a needed win to salvage the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    The gist of this is probably a fair take. I donít watch every postgame interview by any means. I think itís clear from my posts Iím a Muzerall fan. For better or for worse she wears her heart on her sleeve...Granted it was just after a loss (and Iím a fan) so itís easier for me to excise the ďweíll not do another hockey day minnesotaĒ comment. But what I would say about that is 2 things: no sympathy from me because partaking in these spectacles comes will all sorts of attention and recruiting upside they will use now and in the future. Heck this game was in tv in Ohio. How often does that happen (never) and how cool was it for us fans (very). Both OSU and Minnesota chose to be in 2 spectacle type events this year, and despite being two of the best teams in the country neither swept at those events. Itís hardly surprising give all the distraction and unusual conditions and you canít have it both ways so no sympathy, but sheís entitled to say sheís done with outdoor games. The second thing I would say about these spectacle events is that if you want to win a national championship youíre going to have to figure out how to win amidst a spectacle and maybe even with poor ice conditions (remember all the talk last year about the frozen four), so embrace it and figure it out, maybe itíll serve you well later.

Still a great weekend for OSU, and Muzerall is still one of the best coaches in the country. OSU is so close. Awesome finish by Jaques in her goal. Big time play. Liz Schepers needs more hype that woman is a fantastic passer. Jincy Dunne almost spring someone for a late scoring chance with seconds left in the game. Figure out the PP and this team could maybe win some trophies. Credit to Minnesota on a needed win to salvage the weekend.
    I know the forum hates the beating of dead horses so I'll let the topic go with this post. I think your comment about her wearing her heart on her sleeve is right on and, IMO, exactly where she can improve in terms of postgame comments. Muzz rightly talks about her players needing to not get caught up in distractions and to manage their emotions if the team is to be successful; I think she needs to follow her own advice.

And based on the rest of your post, I don't think our opinions are that far apart - especially given that yours are filtered through being a huge Buckeye fan and great supporter of the program. Your passion for the Buckeyes is admirable and your passion for the team is part of what makes these forum conversations so enjoyable!

Thread Information