Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2019-2020: Muzzling All Detractors

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    I will be disappointed for the girls if they get swept at home, but I don't see that happening.
    Me either; I don't expect a sweep either way. I think that the teams are too closely matched for that. Enjoy the games!
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

The Buckeyes made a statement earlier tonight with a 3-1 win over previously unbeaten and third-ranked Cornell. The first period was a stalemate with neither team scoring, though Ohio State carried the play and led 9-4 in shots on goal. In the second period, the Big Red opened the scoring on a goal from Kristin O'Neill to take a 1-0 lead. The Buckeyes, or more specifically, Emma Maltais, answered with two goals to put the Bucks up 2-1 at the end of the second period. Maltais' second goal came with 28 seconds to go in the second period and appeared to take some wind out of Cornell's sails. Madison Bizal scored for Ohio State in the third period to put it out of reach and that is how the game ended. Shots on goal were fairly even with Ohio State leading 26-23. Cornell goaltender Lindsay Browning stopped 23 of the 26 shots she faced. Buckeye backstop Andrea Braendli stopped 22 of the 23 shots she faced. The teams are back at it tomorrow at 3:07 pm.

Comment

Final Score From Friday, November 29th
        Ohio State 3
        Cornell 1

Thanksgiving Hockey Feast Off To A Strong Start

On opening night of the Thanksgiving series, the players and coaches served up an appealing array of appetizers and side dishes. The obvious culinary talent pleased the hockey palate, and suggests an intriguing main course is yet to come. A sampling:

1. Like many of today's goalies, Cornell keeper Lindsay Browning aggressively takes away the low shot and dares you to beat her high. The Buckeye snipers proved they can hit the top shelf. In fact, OSU won the game with that. Can Browning adapt?

2. Cornell elected to play a heavy game against Buckeye Star Jincy Dunne, particularly on the offensive zone forecheck. Mixed results. Did Jincy occasionally burn the pressure? Yes. Did Cornell succussfully disrupt Dunne's rhythm? Yes, to a certain extent. Were costly turnovers caused? No, not really. Did Cornell get under Jincy's skin a bit? The 20:00 minute mark of the 3rd Period says Yes.

Round Two will be fascinating. If Dunne can harness the anger into a focused response, Cornell will regret their strategy. But if the Big Red can get that costly turnover, their approach may be vindicated. Keep your dinner utensils at the ready!

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Cornell Honorable Mention: Kristin O'Neill
        Determined and talented, Kristin was the only Cornell player to find the OSU net. And it took a second effort shot to accomplish it. The scoring play began with a blocked shot by linemate Amy Curlew. Jaime Bourbannais broke out of the zone, and moved the puck ahead to O'Neill. Kristen did the rest.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Gabby Rosenthal
        Gabby was Friday's Face-off Star, winning 11 of 17. Included in that total were some key wins down the stretch.

#4 Star: Madison Bizal, Ohio State
        Thanksgiving is a special occasion. Since we've added a leaf or two to the dining room table, there's room for a 4th Star. 5 blocked shots say that Madison is more than deserving; that number led all players. Just as importantly, Bizal's insurance goal was huge. Obviously it made closing out the victory a more manageable task. But it also reinforced the message that if you give the Buckeyes the top shelf, they're more than able to take it. Madison's precision shot caught some metal on the way into the net.

#3 Star: Micah Zandee-Hart, Cornell
        Micah is tall & strong, yet also quick & skilled. A protypical Big Red player. And to my eye, the engine behind the Cornell Defense. No disrespect to to the other members of the 'D' Corps, but how in the heck is the Zandee-Hart/Nealy duo anything other than the top pair? Perhaps a little deception on the line chart? But if no, then the Big Red have two top pairs, period. 4 shots on goal and 2 blocked shots are just a little taste of the strong performance turned in by Micah.

#2 Star: Andrea Braendli, Ohio State
        In a tight game, big saves can make an enormous difference. Cornell created some high quality chances, but Andrea was equal to the task. In one case, Braendli slid across the crease to nullify what looked a certain goal on a back door play. Stuffing a 3rd Period breakaway speaks for itself. In the end, Andrea had 22 saves on 23 shots, including the two gems mentioned.

#1 Star: Emma Maltais, Ohio State
        When the situation calls for S.W.A.T. team accuracy, Emma's the one for the job. When Maltais created the equalizing goal, she provided the turning point of the game. On that first tally, Liz Schepers fed OSU #22 for a Bruno Blast. Though tangled up with Big Red defender -- pun intended in all 3 respects -- Emma found a way to redirect Lisa's shot into the net.

The Maltais GWG goal? A spectacular piece of marksmanship. The long-range laser beam went just under the crossbar, into the upper right hand corner.

Up Next: Thanksgiving Hockey 2019: The Rest of the Dinner.

Comment

It's not everyday when one team out-shoots another 49-23 and loses 5-1, but that was precisely the case today as Cornell took advantage of the opportunities they had and buried the puck five times today to earn a split with Ohio State. Give Cornell credit. They are a great team and they frustrated the Buckeyes today. The Big Red opened the scoring in the first period on a goal by Paige Lewis. Ohio State answered on a power play goal from Liz Schepers to tie it at 1, and that is how the first period ended. Cornell got goals from Maddie Mills and Finley Frechette to take a 3-1 lead into the second intermission. The Big Red added two more goals in the third period on a power play goal from Maddie Mills and an empty-netter from Kristin O'Neill to make the final score 5-1. Buckeye goaltenders Andrea Braendli and Lynsey Wallace combined to stop 18 of the 22 shots they faced. Cornell goaltender Lindsay Browning stopped 48 of the 49 shots she faced. Ohio State is off next week before traveling to Las Vegas for a pair of games against Princeton. Cornell will be on the road next weekend for games at Princeton Friday and Quinnipiac Saturday.

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, November 30th
            Cornell 5
            Ohio State 1

Buckeyes Thankful For Friday; Big Red Thankful For Saturday.

From an OSU perspective, Thanksgiving Weekend ended with a bit of indigestion. The 49 shot effort turned out to be nothing more than overeating. Then the guests overstayed their welcome. Speaking only for myself, I was ready for the party to be over before the final horn. Sometimes holidays don't live up to the high expectations.

In truth, the Big Red were quite effective on Saturday. It's just that when you outshoot an opponent by a 2-1 margin, yet that opponent is dictating the terms of engagement, it's a twilight zone experience.

Overall, ARM proved to be prophetic. His crystal ball said that it was going to be very difficult for either team to sweep. That certainly proved to be the case, as the Big Red showed up Saturday in a highly motivated state of mind. So each team finished the weekend with one win to be proud of, and one loss to learn from.

As for my personal over-indulgence, I'm going on a short-term diet. Just 3, and only 3 Stars this time.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

#3 Star: Liz Schepers, Ohio State
            Liz led the Buckeye Shot Barrage with 10 SOG, including the successful one. The Schepers PP goal was a nice instance of hockey justice. As it happened, Liz was on the receiving end of a dangerous hit from behind, which created the PP opportunity in the first place. Luck was with all concerned as Schepers wasn't seriously hurt. It was quite satisfying to see Liz personally exact the revenge.

#2 Star: Lindsay Browning, Cornell
            Lindsay brought an eye-popping .976 Save% into the weekend. Not that she played badly, but the lofty number didn't really make sense to me after Friday's game. It does now. Cornell is willing to give up shots, but works hard to keep the shooters to the outside. Similarly, odd man rushes are rare. As result, you get quantity rather than quality shots. And those low percentage shots are contested and rushed in the usual case. Still, seeing all that rubber puts a lot of pressure on a goalie. But Browning was in her comfort zone Saturday, efficiently turning away 48 of the 49 Buckeye attempts. When Cornell is on its game, Lindsay is going to be very tough to beat.

#1 Star: Maddie Mills, Cornell
            Offensively, Maddie was the difference maker with a pair of Power Play goals. At 11:42 of the 2nd Period Mills stuffed the puck into the short side of the Buckeye net for the game-winner. At 10:20 of the 3rd, Maddie essentially ended the game with her encore tally.

Credit the Buckeyes for battling to the end; they went with an extra attacker with 7:48 remaining in the game. But no one from OSU could match the Mills Production.

Up Next: Bye Week In Advance Of Final Exams; Then On To Las Vegas To Play Princeton.

Comment

So no live coverage to purchase for the games in Vegas?

Comment

If anyone listened to the interviews earlier this week, Ohio State was supposedly treating this trip to Las Vegas as a "business trip." Unfortunately for the Buckeyes, it was not a case of "Takin' Care Of Business," as Bachman-Turner Overdrive once sang about. Instead, the Buckeyes dropped today's game by a final score of 4-2, and for those who watched Coach Muzerall's postgame presser, it was crystal clear that she was not happy with the performance today. Ohio State chased the game all day and it didn't end well. Princeton opened the scoring in the first period on a goal from Maggie Connors. Ohio State's Jincy Dunne answered to tie it at 1. The Tigers took the lead on a Mariah Keopple goal to go up 2-1. Ohio State's Liz Schepers answered to knot the game at 2 and that is how the first period ended. Princeton would take the lead in the second period on a goal from Claire Thompson. Ohio State would not have an answer this time. The Tigers added an empty-netter in the third period from Maggie Connors to make the final score 4-2. Tomorrow's game now becomes must-win for Ohio State if they want to stay within striking distance of the 4th spot in the PairWise. The shots on goal were a dead heat at 33. Buckeye netminder Lynsey Wallace stopped 29 of the 32 shots she faced. Princeton goaltender Stephanie Neatby stopped 31 of the 33 shots she faced to get the win. The two teams are back at it tomorrow at 7:00 pm EST.

Comment

No doubt the biggest series of the weekend, and in fact the only one between two national contenders. Shots were dead even, played on neutral ice, so it would appear the teams are evenly matched. We'll see what today brings...
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Yesterday's loss, as expected, was costly. Ohio State dropped from 5th to 7th in the PairWise. Ouch. Then again, this happened last year where we lost games we shouldn't have and dropped like a lead balloon in the PairWise, so if we didn't learn from it, that's our fault. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Comment

Then again, this happened last year where we lost games we shouldn't have and dropped like a lead balloon in the PairWise, so if we didn't learn from it, that's our fault.
                      I haven't watched Princeton yet this year, but every time that I saw the Tigers last year, I was impressed. They are very similar to Ohio State in many ways. Princeton started its season a month after you, so it might be a bit fresher at this point. I wouldn't be surprised to see OSU earn a split today, but the Tigers are a good team.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        I haven't watched Princeton yet this year, but every time that I saw the Tigers last year, I was impressed. They are very similar to Ohio State in many ways. Princeton started its season a month after you, so it might be a bit fresher at this point. I wouldn't be surprised to see OSU earn a split today, but the Tigers are a good team.
                        I agree that Princeton is a good team, but the PairWise is what it is, and they punish teams dearly when they lose to teams ranked below them, as we saw with Ohio State this weekend. Hopefully, the girls get a split later today or they may drop out of the top 8 altogether. Being in 7th is already shaky ground because you're basically one spot away from being out of it (8th spot will be taken by the CHA Champion). Another upset in a conference tournament and the team in 7th is out of it. That's exactly why tonight's game is a must-win game for Ohio State.

Comment

I haven't watched Princeton yet this year, but every time that I saw the Tigers last year, I was impressed.
                          Last year was last year, but yes they were impressive.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

The Buckeyes got a good bounce-back win today by a final score of 5-2 over Princeton. The Buckeyes opened the scoring in the first period on a goal by Liz Schepers to take a 1-0 lead. Princeton's Annie Kuehl answered a minute later to knot it at 1. Liz Schepers would score her team-leading 15th goal of the season to put the Buckeyes up for good at 2-1, and that is how the period would end. Ohio State added to their lead on a Teghan Inglis goal to make it 3-1 at the second intermission. The Bucks pushed their lead out to 4-1 on a Gabby Rosenthal PP goal. The Tigers' Annie Kuehl scored a late PP goal to pull Princeton within 4-2 before Ohio State's Tatum Skaggs scored a goal with 16 seconds to go in the game to make the final score 5-2. The Buckeyes outshot Princeton today 35-31 with Buckeye goaltender Andrea Braendli stopping 29 of the 31 shots she faced to get the win. Princeton netminder Stephanie Neatby earned 30 saves on 35 shots. Princeton will break for the holidays with an 11-4 record before returning to action at home for a pair of games vs St. Anselm on 1/3-1/4. The Buckeyes go into the break at 11-5-4 and will be off until 1/10-1/11 when they host Minnesota State. Normally, I would be lamenting lost opportunities in five losses and four ties, but with the schedule Ohio State played the first half of the season (eight games vs top ten teams, six games with teams ranked 10-16 in the PairWise), 11-5-4 is a great first half, and their ranking of 6th in the PairWise is indicative of the success the Buckeyes had against that schedule. The key will be to not be satisfied with what they have done and keep improving in the second half of the season, as well as not losing games to teams ranked below them in the PairWise. Really looking forward to the rest of the season!

Comment

They listed the Sunday attendance as 253 and no listing for Saturday. So much for Vegas thinking they're such a great hockey town now. And the games were free as well!
                              Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 12-16-2019, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Stepping out of my usual method of operation this time. Usually I post first hand observations. This time I'm strictly reacting to other posts.
                                If anyone listened to the interviews earlier this week, Ohio State was supposedly treating this trip to Las Vegas as a "business trip." Unfortunately for the Buckeyes, it was not a case of "Takin' Care Of Business," as Bachman-Turner Overdrive once sang about. Instead, the Buckeyes dropped today's game by a final score of 4-2, and for those who watched Coach Muzerall's postgame presser, it was crystal clear that she was not happy with the performance today...
                                Every since the 2006-07 BCS Title Game, I absolutely cringe when a coach refers to a game on the road as a business trip. Yes, Focus & Discipline are great things. But team sports also need to be played with Passion. Calmly taking care of business often isn't enough. You need to meet or exceed the opponent's compete level.

In fairness to Coach, she made some clarifying remarks to the effect that she didn't want the players "bedazzled" by Las Vegas; at least before the games. In that respect, I agree with her wholeheartedly.

Now, about that BCS Football Game. On that occasion, Florida had great schemes and just maybe better players. So perhaps I'm over-estimating the impact of the motivational factor. Maybe. But I still say that using the business trip theme inadvertently runs the risk of tentative or overly cautious play. We'll never know, but I'm guessing that if Coach Tressel & QB Troy Smith got a do-over on this one, we wouldn't be hearing anything about a business trip.

I haven't watched Princeton yet this year, but every time that I saw the Tigers last year, I was impressed. They are very similar to Ohio State in many ways. Princeton started its season a month after you, so it might be a bit fresher at this point...
                                Interesting point. My first thought was that finishing up final exams then leaving for Vegas shortly thereafter was a gigantic distraction. Then my second thought was that Princeton was likely on the same schedule, and had the exact same distraction. In other words, a wash.

But you may well have identified a nuanced, but important, difference. Having played fewer games and fewer Top 10 opponents, Princeton may have been more ready to get back on the ice; and less in need of a break.

The Buckeyes got a good bounce-back win today by a final score of 5-2 over Princeton.
                                Very glad to hear it.

Normally, I would be lamenting lost opportunities in five losses and four ties, but with the schedule Ohio State played the first half of the season (eight games vs top ten teams, six games with teams ranked 10-16 in the PairWise), 11-5-4 is a great first half, and their ranking of 6th in the PairWise is indicative of the success the Buckeyes had against that schedule. The key will be to not be satisfied with what they have done and keep improving in the second half of the season, as well as not losing games to teams ranked below them in the PairWise. Really looking forward to the rest of the season!
                                Coach worked hard to create a difficult schedule & succeeded. Fall Semester was a great ride. Here's to hoping that 2nd Semester is just as much fun. I believe it will be.

Comment

Working...
                                X