Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 162

Thread: 2019-20 Schedules

  1. #101
    who the hello?
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Alta, Ut.
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Umm, no...

    I never once referenced M'ville's age, because I never even bothered to look that up. Please.

    Had MC won the RS, and a pursuant RS AQ, I would have been OK with that. (20-23 games are better than 4, as a measuring stick, right?)

    I seem to recall you as an OSU fan.

    So, say, a Morrisville finishes in the pack in the SUNYAC, then gets white-hot for a couple of weekends, and displaces your Lakers from the NCAA's this coming season. Would you actually think that the RS was a throw-away?

    I doubt it... The RS exists for a reason, or at least it should.
    You absolutely whined about Manhattanville’s age. Now you’re just not telling the truth.

    Don’t get swept at home by the worst Adrian team in 10 years, and UC maybe had a shot at an at-large. That was the first weekend of the season, so I guess the first half does count, eh?

    You recall wrong yet again. I’m a SNC alum. In ‘14-‘15 they went 20-5-3 and were left out of the NCAA’s and rightfully so, they failed to win their conference tournament.
    Last edited by altazo; 08-17-2019 at 11:07 PM.

  2. #102
    Colorado Cadets Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    9,741

    Re: 2019-20 Schedules

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    It's very simple, really.

    If there's an AQ to be had, use the biggest sample-size available. If you care to play a conference tourney, fine, but weight those results as you would every RS game.
    In every sport conferences are FREE to choose their method of selecting their champion. Some leagues choose to limit the size of the field in the conference tournament based on season results- 6 of 9 in the SUNYAC, 5 of 9 in the MIAC. Others have allowed all teams to play. Historically the ECAC E - (now the NEHC) included all 8 of their DIII members in. Seeding was based on regular season standings. I recall a painful year in which Norwich lost in the first round to the last seed. So be it.

    Very few conferences in any division use something other than a tournament. The Ivy used to not have a tournament in basketball for their AQ selection (they were the last to not have a playoff).

    If a majority of the the schools in the UCHC wanted to use that method they could change their rules.

    I don't particularly like one-and-done format playoffs, but again that is the choice that has been made. I'd rather see some kind of series format but most leagues don't use that. The situation is not unique to DIII hockey. Could it be changed? Lobby your conference for a change. That is how it can happen. It doesn't come from the NCAA, but from the conferences.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

  3. #103

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    38,768
    Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    In every sport conferences are FREE to choose their method of selecting their champion. Some leagues choose to limit the size of the field in the conference tournament based on season results- 6 of 9 in the SUNYAC, 5 of 9 in the MIAC. Others have allowed all teams to play. Historically the ECAC E - (now the NEHC) included all 8 of their DIII members in. Seeding was based on regular season standings. I recall a painful year in which Norwich lost in the first round to the last seed. So be it....
    Cue:
    If I could turn back the Sands of time...

  4. #104
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,385

    Re: 2019-20 Schedules

    Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    In every sport conferences are FREE to choose their method of selecting their champion. Some leagues choose to limit the size of the field in the conference tournament based on season results- 6 of 9 in the SUNYAC, 5 of 9 in the MIAC. Others have allowed all teams to play. Historically the ECAC E - (now the NEHC) included all 8 of their DIII members in. Seeding was based on regular season standings. I recall a painful year in which Norwich lost in the first round to the last seed. So be it.

    Very few conferences in any division use something other than a tournament. The Ivy used to not have a tournament in basketball for their AQ selection (they were the last to not have a playoff).

    If a majority of the the schools in the UCHC wanted to use that method they could change their rules.

    I don't particularly like one-and-done format playoffs, but again that is the choice that has been made. I'd rather see some kind of series format but most leagues don't use that. The situation is not unique to DIII hockey. Could it be changed? Lobby your conference for a change. That is how it can happen. It doesn't come from the NCAA, but from the conferences.
    OK, but just because any political body lawfully chooses to employ a bad metric, it's still a bad metric, don't you agree?

  5. #105
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,385

    Re: 2019-20 Schedules

    Quote Originally Posted by altazo View Post
    You absolutely whined about Manhattanville’s age. Now you’re just not telling the truth.

    Don’t get swept at home by the worst Adrian team in 10 years, and UC maybe had a shot at an at-large. That was the first weekend of the season, so I guess the first half does count, eh?

    You recall wrong yet again. I’m a SNC alum. In ‘14-‘15 they went 20-5-3 and were left out of the NCAA’s and rightfully so, they failed to win their conference tournament.
    Did I b**** this past season? Perhaps I did, but, let's face it, all the better D-3 hockey teams are old by the usual college standards. (Utica, too.)

    Speaking of Utica, I didn't reference them in this conversation, because that would have been beside the point.

    The tournament AQ's are D-U-M, dum, was my point. And if you were just fine with SNC being bounced from the NCAA's on the basis of that, well...

  6. #106
    who the hello?
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Alta, Ut.
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    The tournament AQ's are D-U-M, dum, was my point. And if you were just fine with SNC being bounced from the NCAA's on the basis of that, well...
    Despite winning 20 games that season, SNC was 0-3 vs. Adrian. So yes, I think I think most people associated with the program expected them to be left out. If they clearly weren’t the best team in their own conference that season, why should they be rewarded with an opportunity to compete for a National Championship? Their only hope was earning that playoff AQ.

  7. #107
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: 2019-20 Schedules

    [QUOTE=Fishman'81;6833493]
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

    Well, none of the regulars here argued for a transparent process on this site, either.

    Pretty-much the same thing.
    Umm, no. Try again.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

  8. #108
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: 2019-20 Schedules

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    OK, but just because any political body lawfully chooses to employ a bad metric, it's still a bad metric, don't you agree?
    Again, lobby your conference. It has nothing to do with the NCAA.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

  9. #109
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: 2019-20 Schedules

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Did I b**** this past season? Perhaps I did, but, let's face it, all the better D-3 hockey teams are old by the usual college standards. (Utica, too.)

    Speaking of Utica, I didn't reference them in this conversation, because that would have been beside the point.

    The tournament AQ's are D-U-M, dum, was my point. And if you were just fine with SNC being bounced from the NCAA's on the basis of that, well...
    Oh, the irony of spelling dumb wrong...
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

  10. #110
    Hockey Knight in Boston
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,117

    Re: 2019-20 Schedules

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Of course the RS is "fun", but how meaningful is it, if it can be negated via a couple of games in March? Every game should mean something, in the context of a full season.

    Otherwise, why even play them? The current situation absolutely flies in the face of "common-sense", and it's really impossible to build a logical argument to the contrary. Conference-tourament AQ's are a gimmick, period.

    I understand that I'm USCHO's designated D-3 AH, and I'm OK with that, actually, but I have never read anything even resembling a cogent opinion as to why it's just fine for a 5th place team -over the course of a 20+ game RS- to usurp an NCAA berth from another team which has won the conference RS...

    (And, I don't expect to, ever.)
    Why stop with the conference tournaments? Your argument is so compelling you've convinced me that they should do away with the NCAA Tournament too! If a whole season's work can be undone by losing a single game in March, I see no reason why they don't just award the NCAA championship to the #1 PWR team at the conclusion of the regular season (henceforth just "the season"). That way every single game matters and an unworthy team will NEVER eliminate a better one in a one-and-done format. Because a tournament will never deliver the 100% objective and logical outcome that a spreadsheet can.
    #OneKnight

  11. #111
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: 2019-20 Schedules

    Quote Originally Posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
    Why stop with the conference tournaments? Your argument is so compelling you've convinced me that they should do away with the NCAA Tournament too! If a whole season's work can be undone by losing a single game in March, I see no reason why they don't just award the NCAA championship to the #1 PWR team at the conclusion of the regular season (henceforth just "the season"). That way every single game matters and an unworthy team will NEVER eliminate a better one in a one-and-done format. Because a tournament will never deliver the 100% objective and logical outcome that a spreadsheet can.
    I'm sold!!
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

  12. #112
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    2,490

    Re: 2019-20 Schedules

    Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    I recall a painful year in which Norwich lost in the first round to the last seed. So be it.


    I believe that was the year that the #8, #7, #6 and #4 seeds won...USM came within 2 minutes of hosting the semi-finals/finals as a #5 seed

  13. #113
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Posts
    2,927
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan77 View Post
    I believe that was the year that the #8, #7, #6 and #4 seeds won...USM came within 2 minutes of hosting the semi-finals/finals as a #5 seed
    And a great regular season meeting the criteria still gets a tourney bid.

  14. #114
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,385

    Re: 2019-20 Schedules

    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Oh, the irony of spelling dumb wrong...
    And, the irony of you not recognizing the irony...

    (Giving you the benefit of the doubt here.)
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 08-19-2019 at 08:55 PM.

  15. #115
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,385

    Re: 2019-20 Schedules

    Quote Originally Posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
    Why stop with the conference tournaments? Your argument is so compelling you've convinced me that they should do away with the NCAA Tournament too! If a whole season's work can be undone by losing a single game in March, I see no reason why they don't just award the NCAA championship to the #1 PWR team at the conclusion of the regular season (henceforth just "the season"). That way every single game matters and an unworthy team will NEVER eliminate a better one in a one-and-done format. Because a tournament will never deliver the 100% objective and logical outcome that a spreadsheet can.
    Yes, you're actually right, and I'm not peeing on your leg nor being facetious here.

    In a perfect world, every team would play every other, and there you go as far as the metrics... Thing is, there is so little comparative data between East and West in D-3 that a decent statistical analysis isn't feasible in a National sense.

    Look, the NCAA's are great fun, and there's nothing wrong with ONE fun little tournament at the very end of the season, as long as the participants are worthy, and not there by dint of a hot weekend.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 08-19-2019 at 08:58 PM.

  16. #116
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,385

    Re: 2019-20 Schedules

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdwatcher View Post
    And a great regular season meeting the criteria still gets a tourney bid.
    Not if those deserved berths are displaced by a few gift conference AQ's...

    This isn't rocket science, folks.

  17. #117
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    out of NYC and up to Orange County
    Posts
    5,528

    Re: 2019-20 Schedules

    Off topic but what happened to d3hockey.com ,tried it for the first time in awhile and go daddy pops up??? are they done??

  18. #118
    Hockey Knight in Boston
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,117

    Re: 2019-20 Schedules

    Quote Originally Posted by bakdraft21 View Post
    Off topic but what happened to d3hockey.com ,tried it for the first time in awhile and go daddy pops up??? are they done??
    Sad if true, they had some good content.
    #OneKnight

  19. #119
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,255

    Re: 2019-20 Schedules

    Quote Originally Posted by bakdraft21 View Post
    Off topic but what happened to d3hockey.com ,tried it for the first time in awhile and go daddy pops up??? are they done??
    Very cryptic tweet from their Twitter

    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

    Proud alumn of WQKE


    GO CARDS!!

  20. #120
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: 2019-20 Schedules

    Quote Originally Posted by bakdraft21 View Post
    Off topic but what happened to d3hockey.com ,tried it for the first time in awhile and go daddy pops up??? are they done??
    Looks like someone forgot to renew the domain name. Which is silly. Even if you don't want to continue, it's cheap to hold onto the name just in case.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •