Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones Season 8: Now What Will We Do for Boobies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Game of Thrones Season 8: Now What Will We Do for Boobies?

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Jon Snow finally breaks free of his sense of duty and rides north so he can have children, he can get married, and live out his days.
    That's the way I read that too, which of course means Jon went against his sentence -- to serve in the Night Watch for his remaining years and never get married or have children.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      I liked that Democracy got hooted down as well. I would have thrown a brick through my TV too.

Yes, he intentionally melted the throne. His queen can't sit on it then no one can. He couldn't because of the Targyreon thing, and because fire would have done nothing to him much like the Night King, otherwise he would have fried him. He took the body to save his queen, which he did.
      Jon was not The Dragon the way Dany was. Jon suffered burns when killing the dead Nights Watchmen who rose and attacked Lord Mormont. He could've been melted just like almost anybody else. Still, I think Drogon simply recognized him as a Targaryen, and a dragon rider. And I agree that melting the throne was intentional, it was also symbolic for finally destroying the Seven Kingdoms began by Dany and Jon's ancestors.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Jon was not The Dragon the way Dany was. Jon suffered burns when killing the dead Nights Watchmen who rose and attacked Lord Mormont. He could've been melted just like almost anybody else. Still, I think Drogon simply recognized him as a Targaryen, and a dragon rider. And I agree that melting the throne was intentional, it was also symbolic for finally destroying the Seven Kingdoms began by Dany and Jon's ancestors.
        That's fair. Either way that scene was the scene of the season and the one that had the most shock value. Especially since it's so easy to conclude Dany is alive.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          If Sam wasn't head of House Tully why was he at the council? He's not Maestre because the other guy (Purcell?) wrote the book.

I liked that democracy got hooted down, not least because Dr. Mrs. said if the ending was democracy comes to Westeros she would put her head through our TV. I also liked that even the people we have been trained to think of as "good" (e.g., Sansa) find it ridiculous. It is literally beyond the ken of a ruling elite -- for them you may as well give the vote to the dogs. I didn't see Tyrion's reaction but I would have appreciated him getting a laugh out of it. No matter how wise you are you cannot escape your culture.

(Of course, given how it's working out... maybe they're right.)

Are we supposed to think Drogon intentionally melted the throne or was he just scattershot unhappy? If we're gonna say Drogon is capable of nuanced socio-political thought I'm going to laugh out loud. I didn't assume he was making any judgement of Jon by not frying him. I figured he couldn't because (a) he's a Targyreon and thus protected, and/or (b) he can't fricassee anybody without the magic order.
          I loved the fact that even Sansa snickered. They are, ultimately, the product of their society and culture.

But, they did take a step towards a democracy by agreeing to have the council select the rulers from now on and not base it on heredity right.

I definitely took it as the dragon melting the throne on purpose in anger, and he couldn't hurt Jon Snow because he is a Targyreon.
          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
            I loved the fact that even Sansa snickered. They are, ultimately, the product of their society and culture.

But, they did take a step towards a democracy by agreeing to have the council select the rulers from now on and not base it on heredity right.

I definitely took it as the dragon melting the throne on purpose in anger, and he couldn't hurt Jon Snow because he is a Targyreon.
            I thought it was something of a shot at the US with the original intent of our Electoral College, a sense of aristocracy amidst our other democratic elections.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

I thought it was something of a shot at the US with the original intent of our Electoral College, a sense of aristocracy amidst our other democratic elections.
              Interesting way of looking at it. Not to get too deep into a political discussion on this thread, but many believe the Electoral College was originally setup because ultimately the Founding Fathers did not believe the common people would be responsible enough to elect a leader, and thus the check of the Electoral College.
              Russell Jaslow

Comment

I don't think so. Brit author, Brit show, Brit history. Arya hasn't even discovered us yet.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  I don't think so. Brit author, Brit show, Brit history. Arya hasn't even discovered us yet.
                  George R. R. Martin is from New Jersey... Born and bred.
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                    George R. R. Martin is from New Jersey...
                    Well, Jersey's a British sounding name...
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The show runners are Americans. The only Brits involved are the crew and actors. The people running the shows, the company paying for the show, and the books' author are all Americans.

Comment

I thought it was pretty clear Dany was dead. Jon became the new king beyond the wall.

I loved the scene where Brienne completed jaimes pages. Might have been the best of the series. Could definitely hear an argument for others. I definitely cried when Tyrion found his siblings. Heartbreaking. The small council meeting could not have been done better.

I was shocked so many people liked the Dany wings scene. I liked it but thought so many people were going to find it a bit much.

I also liked that for me at least I couldn’t tell with perfect certainty who stabbed who between Dany and Jon. (At least until they made it obvious)

Oh and democracy getting laughed at was great. I almost started yelling at my tv. Nice fake out.
                        Last edited by dxmnkd316; 05-20-2019, 12:25 PM.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          I thought it was pretty clear Dany was dead. Jon became the new king beyond the wall.

I loved the scene where Brienne completed jaimes pages. Might have been the best of the series. Could definitely hear an argument for others. I definitely cried when Tyrion found his siblings. Heartbreaking. The small council meeting could not have been done better.

I was shocked so many people liked the Dany wings scene. I liked it but thought so many people were going to find it a bit much.

I also liked that for me at least I couldn’t tell with perfect certainty who stabbed who between Dany and Jon.
                          How can it be clear she is dead when we've seen numerous people brought back to life? It's not clear at all. That's fantasy.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

There was literally no ending that was going to satisfy everyone. You may say it was rushed, but HBO didn't have any other choice. As we all know the show runners are off to do Star Wars but the actors begged off too. Queen Margaery wasn't supposed to die in the Sept of Baelor but Natalie Dormer wanted out to do other things. That was the situation for many in the cast. It also would have been prohibitively expensive to try to lengthen the show. They would have had to offer each of the actors millions per episode to come back. That wasn't in the cards either.

I was happy with the way it ended. Social media will **** all over anything and everything today. Fandom has never been more toxic than it is now. You think the fallout to last night was bad? Or The Last Jedi? If social media existed in 1980 there is a 0% chance the movie-going public accepts a man doing gymnastics in a swamp with a talking green muppet in his backpack. See also: midichlorians. There is a 0% chance the Newhart finale goes down as one of the best of all time. The St Elsewhere finale would have been savaged and Jerry Seinfeld would have been driven off Twitter.
                            Last edited by ticapnews; 05-20-2019, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

I also liked that for me at least I couldn’t tell with perfect certainty who stabbed who between Dany and Jon.

Oh and democracy getting laughed at was great. I almost started yelling at my tv. Nice fake out.
                              I didn't care for the Brienne scene because it reduces her to an appendage of him. Brienne was ten times the character Jamie will ever be.

The scene of Tyrion walking alone through the city felt very true. This is him returning home, after all. It's hard to remember that after all his wandering. Everybody else is looking at Kings Landing as another girl, another planet but not him.

I for one would have been shocked if Dany had stabbed Jon. That would have been utterly unexpected. Jon killing Dany felt inevitable but it still felt like the right ending. It was going to be he or Grey Worm.

I thought Dany's wings were ridiculous. It looked like a bad tramp stamp.
                              Cornell University

Comment

I didn't care for the Brienne scene because it reduces her to an appendage of him. Brienne was ten times the character Jamie will ever be.

The scene of Tyrion walking alone through the city felt very true. This is him returning home, after all. It's hard to remember that after all his wandering. Everybody else is looking at Kings Landing as another girl, another planet but not him.

I for one would have been shocked if Dany had stabbed Jon. That would have been utterly unexpected. Jon killing Dany felt inevitable but it still felt like the right ending. It was going to be he or Grey Worm.

I thought Dany's wings were ridiculous. It looked like a bad tramp stamp.
                                I figured you were going to HATE that Bran became king.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X