U of Illinois to add D1 hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U of Illinois to add D1 hockey?

U of IL is having a press conference on Tuesday to (possibly)announce the addition of men’s D1 hockey. Since the press conference includes the big ten but not WCHA (according to the announcement) should we assume they’re not adding women’s hockey? Anyone know what’s going on?

Re: U of Illinois to add D1 hockey?

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
    Anyone know what’s going on?
    Probably going to announce a new study to study the current study in place to find out the viability of D1 hockey at Illinois.
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
      Probably going to announce a new study to study the current study in place to find out the viability of D1 hockey at Illinois.
      I hear Mueller is conducting the study.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
        From a writer in our local paper:

"Illinois appears to be inching closer to adding varsity hockey, which would give the Big Ten eight teams in its hockey conference and boost the NCAA Division I men's total to 61 teams. A $250 million development in downtown Champaign that would include a 5,000-seat multipurpose arena that would be home of a proposed University of Illinois team cleared a key vote last week. Champaign City Council members voted to continue negotiations with the project’s developers. Illinois has not yet announced it’s adding hockey, but momentum is going that way. 'We’ve been making positives steps, and that we are remaining within range of a yes,' Illinois athletic director Josh Whitman told the Champaign News-Gazette. 'We’ve continued down that path. We’re getting closer and closer to a decision point'."

As far as I've seen there has been no mention of women's hockey also being added....at least yet.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I don't want IL to have a D1 women's hockey team. That means one step closer to the death of the wWCHA. The B6 totally screwed up the men's landscape in the west and it will the women's as well.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            I don't want IL to have a D1 women's hockey team. That means one step closer to the death of the wWCHA. The B6 totally screwed up the men's landscape in the west and it will the women's as well.
            But a wB1G would ensure the other 5+1 wWCHA teams would have a chance at the tournament.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Illinois has no D1 options for women (or men) to play hockey in state. There are a lot more girls playing high level AAA hockey in IL than in WI. In fact, plenty of girls have left IL to play at UW.
              So what’s wrong with the state university keeping some of that talent in state? Grow the game.

Comment

Originally posted by sieve1 View Post
                illinois has no d1 options for women (or men) to play hockey in state. There are a lot more girls playing high level aaa hockey in il than in wi. In fact, plenty of girls have left il to play at uw.
                So what’s wrong with the state university keeping some of that talent in state? Grow the game.
                yes!

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
                  Illinois has no D1 options for women (or men) to play hockey in state. There are a lot more girls playing high level AAA hockey in IL than in WI. In fact, plenty of girls have left IL to play at UW.
                  I think it would set the game back if the B6 formed it's own league. The wWCHA would be in big trouble if UM and UW left, which they have to do if there are enough teams to field a B6 conference, obviously UM and UW prop the wWCHA up. I think the IL talent is finding homes right now. Talent will always find a home. Plus if you look at the men's side, the B6 totally under-delivered on their promises of bringing hockey more exposure. That makes me just not trust the brains @ the B6.

Comment

I think it would set the game back if the B6 formed it's own league. The wWCHA would be in big trouble if UM and UW left, which they have to do if there are enough teams to field a B6 conference, obviously UM and UW prop the wWCHA up. I think the IL talent is finding homes right now. Talent will always find a home. Plus if you look at the men's side, the B6 totally under-delivered on their promises of bringing hockey more exposure. That makes me just not trust the brains @ the B6.
                    Wouldn't they need Michigan and/or Michigan State to make that work (creating the B6)? Wisonsin, Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State, and potentially Illinois. I'm using new math and, after estimating it to be 5, I calculate it to be 5. Michigan or Michigan State is nowhere near creating a Women's team because they don't have the donor support. Perhaps this would give them a push to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
                      Wouldn't they need Michigan and/or Michigan State to make that work (creating the B6)? Wisonsin, Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State, and potentially Illinois. I'm using new math and, after estimating it to be 5, I calculate it to be 5. Michigan or Michigan State is nowhere near creating a Women's team because they don't have the donor support. Perhaps this would give them a push to do so.
                      It may be premature to even assume U of I is adding women’s hockey at this point...they could add a different sport to comply with Title IX or even cut a men’s sport. I’m just wondering if anyone has inside info about next week’s press conference...if women’s hockey is part of the discussion.
                      One thing’s for sure, they wouldn’t need much of a recruiting budget.

Comment

Assuming Illinois added a women's team, and the Big Ten wants to form a women's hockey conference (both big 'Ifs'), the sixth team would not have to come from what we all think of as a 'Big Ten' school'. Notre Dame is a 'member' of the Big Ten for hockey, and (believe it or not) Johns Hopkins is a 'affiliated member' to give B1G a sixth team for Lacrosse.

Geographically, Lindenwood or Mercyhust would make sense. Academically, the Big Ten makes a big deal that all of the 'regular' members are also members of the "Association of American Universities" (though Nebraska has had some trouble maintaining membership because of some dispute regarding their medical school), though Notre Dame is not. Neither Lindenwood nor Mercyhust is an AAU member. Syracuse was a member of the AAU, but also has some dispute that has them 'off the list' right now, so they might be a possibility, as well. (Not even the Ivy League has all its members in the AAU.)

Taking a member or two from the CHA might kick off a larger re-alignment just as the men's B1G hockey conference did. So, be careful what you wish for...
                        Last edited by robertearle; 05-09-2019, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                          Assuming Illinois added a women's team, and the Big Ten wants to form a women's hockey conference (both big 'Ifs'), the sixth team would not have to come from what we all think of as a 'Big Ten' school'
                          Originally, 'Big Ten' referred to the actual number of conference members, but now refers to the percentage of Division I schools calling themselves members.

Comment

Right, they need 6. IL would make 5. If IL going for it did push another B6 school to add a women's team, then WCHA loses 2 and the CHA loses 1. That drops them both down to 5 members. Then their autobids are dead. Geographically maybe the WCHA could coax Lindenwood and or M-Hurst in to make 6 or 7, then the CHA's who are left have to beg get into HE or EZAC. The WCHA w/o UM and UW is a mess. Yes I am thinking way ahead.

Comment

IL would make 5. If IL going for it did push another B6 school to add a women's team, then WCHA loses 2 and the CHA loses 1.
                              Not necessarily. Just because there are six Big 10 schools that play a particular varsity sport does not mean that it must therefore become a conference sport. This has taken hold in the public consciousness as a conflation of two actual rules and a circumstance:

1) There must be at least six conference schools that play a particular sport before it can become a conference sport;
                              2) If it becomes a conference sport, then any Big 10 school that plays it must do so as a part of the conference;
                              3) When Penn State added men's hockey, it became a conference sport because the Big 10 Network was looking for programming.

My guess is that BTN isn't nearly as hyped about showing lots of women's hockey, so there wouldn't be the same push to make it a conference sport if a sixth school did start a program. At the same time, I suspect that there won't be a sixth school motivated to start a team until the same forces pushing it have also pushed BTN to desire it as programming.

Comment

Working...
                              X