X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    I had asked a comic book fan friend of mine about it, and his response was, "They made Aquaman as badarse as he could be." That was truth. They did. However, the multiple montages, the extended battle scenes, etc...those took away from the movie. If it was a 90 minute job, tight editing, I think it would have been awesome. He comes across like a serious/caring Deadpool. *shrug*

Edit: if you're a comic book person, you'll forgive some stuff, and I understand that. I do the same with mafia movies.
    Comic Books has nothing to do with it.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Long Shot.

One of the better romcoms of the past 5 years or so.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        Comic Books has nothing to do with it.
        It's a comic book movie. A comic book character. The friend I asked is all into the comic books, and the comic book movies, including the precious End Game.

It has everything to do with it. I wanted an opinion from someone who was a fan of these movies/subject matter.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

It's a comic book movie. A comic book character. The friend I asked is all into the comic books, and the comic book movies, including the precious End Game.

It has everything to do with it. I wanted an opinion from someone who was a fan of these movies/subject matter.
          Being based on comic books and being comic books are two completely different things.

Comment

Being based on comic books and being comic books are two completely different things.
            Sure.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Sure.
              Thus, it has nothing to do with comic books. All they did was borrow the characters and make their own thing. It'd be like me writing a Superman Story.

Comment

Thus, it has nothing to do with comic books. All they did was borrow the characters and make their own thing. It'd be like me writing a Superman Story.
                In that case everything not done by the original writer and artist is fan fiction.

I'm OK with that, to be honest.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  In that case everything not done by the original writer and artist is fan fiction.

Comic Books are different but I get your point. And I'm ok with that too.

Comment

It’s like he last couple stupid bond movies where they can’t think of anything original and redo introduction of specter
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      It’s like he last couple stupid bond movies where they can’t think of anything original and redo introduction of specter
                      And then they thought of something new in "The Last Jedi" and everyone hated it.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        Hey. I've missed Spectre and Blofeld. Holmes needs Moriarity. Max needs KAOS.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Scooby and I are fans of these films and comics. Our opinions differ greatly on some of them. (based on what I have read on certain films) Asking one reader about them tells you about as much as polling one voter and using him as your sample to prove who is voting, what they are voting for and what the platform should be.

Liking them and not liking them has nothing to do with being a comic fan...the vast vast vast vast vast vast vast amount of people seeing them have never read a comic book. Maybe if the story in question is something they read back in the day then it might matter but even then stories have to be adapted and changed. (which usually just annoys comic fans just like it does fans of any genre where the story is adapted from original work)

Take the Del Toro Hellboy films...comic fans like the film but not because it is anything like the actual comics it is based on. Hellboy isnt some big badass demon quipping jokes and jumping around...the comics are rarely lighthearted in any way. Comic fans still liked the film though (not all but most) and it had zero to do with anything other than it being a good film. Hell (no pun intended) more people saw the Hellboy reboot that just bombed than every read the comic.

tl;dr: opinions differ no matter the subject
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

That is a bit harsher than I would go...but I know old school fans that believe that way. there are Superman fans that think the character died in the comics when they made him fly. (not a joke)

I would use the word "interpretation" over "Fan Fiction" but your point still stands.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I think the best part of the explosion of comic book movies has been that there is now enough material out there to end the myth that stories that originate in comic books are special in some way, either negatively or positively.

As somebody who had literally never read a comic book (and who has still only read one, Watchmen, all the way through), I had definite biases against the material going in. I've probably seen about 2 dozen comic book movies now and for the most part of I've liked them in a "kill 2 hours" way. A couple have been stinkers, a couple have been outstanding. But the mystique of the provenance of comic book movies is completely gone, now. They are just another kind of source material: like a play, a novel, or another movie.

There's nothing magic pixie about them good or bad. It's a question of whether you can bring a good story to life on the screen, which has been the heart of all movies since the Lumieres.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                That is a bit harsher than I would go...but I know old school fans that believe that way. there are Superman fans that think the character died in the comics when they made him fly. (not a joke)

I would use the word "interpretation" over "Fan Fiction" but your point still stands.
                                And I would use "hermaneutic" over "interpretation," because I am a jerk. :-)
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X