Clear All

• Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
    Ariel IS the hottest Disney Princess because she:
    1. Is a beautiful & willing ginger
    2. Has a rich father
    3. Is willing to give up her current life for her man
    4. Can't speak
    Princess Merida challenges you, despite the speaking part.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
      The Great Hack:

Documentary on the Cambridge Analytica story, with more than a dash on Facebook. The Data Wars. 10 years ago, another documentary called "We Live In Public" came out, and one quote stood out to me: Everything is free, except for the footage captured...THAT...we own.

Now magnify that quote to what the internet is today. Yeah.

Highly recommend both docs. Link to the We Live In Public trailer below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwBrlNF-jDM
      Mookie watched the hack last night. Decent.

The red headed kid has to be pizzed. He was all set to star and the girl then took over
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Well, Once Upon a Time In Hollywood is an interesting film. Read a scathing review in the NY Post just now. His premise is the exploitation of women? I guess. Umm...does the current political landscape mean that a period piece can't be an accurate period piece? I don't get it.

But, anyway, the film is pretty amazing. It's not the best Tarantino but it has perhaps the most jaw dropping payoff that I have ever seen.

5 out of 5. It just doesn't get any better than Tarantino most of the time nowadays.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
          Snow White: a bunch of dudes take her in, while she's comatose, fawn over her, but don't do anything, until a supposed prince or something takes an unwanted kiss from her, and suddenly she's woke.
          That MAY be a little difficult to do a Live-Action remake
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            Well, Once Upon a Time In Hollywood is an interesting film. Read a scathing review in the NY Post just now. His premise is the exploitation of women? I guess. Umm...does the current political landscape mean that a period piece can't be an accurate period piece? I don't get it.

But, anyway, the film is pretty amazing. It's not the best Tarantino but it has perhaps the most jaw dropping payoff that I have ever seen.

5 out of 5. It just doesn't get any better than Tarantino most of the time nowadays.
            I am on the fence about seeing this. I had been mildly interested when I saw the trailer a little bit ago (I haven't seen a Tarantino movie since Inglorious Basterds). I read a fairly in depth review on Jezebel, however, that makes me more trepidatious. Tarantino isn't known for his fabulous treatment of women as time has gone on (aside from his standing up for Weinstein's behavior) and one of the critiques of the movie is the extreme violence perpetrated against the women as opposed to the violence shown against the men. In addition, the casting of Emile Hurst (not one of his stable of actors) who plead guilty to some pretty horrific violence against a female studio employee. I guess I'm wary of going to see a movie that glorifies the violence against women specifically for the enjoyment of that. After seeing Bladerunner 2049 have some pretty graphic violence specifically against the female characters (what felt like an endless choking/drowning scene as well as a visceral throatcutting scene), I'm more attuned to that going forward. It's not like women were the only people killed by the Manson family. I also am less impressed with Tarantino's constant need to show us how much he knows about film and it's history for what feels like self-aggrandizement - something I have diminishing patience for.

Jezebel article referenced

Edit - reading back through the recent posts in this thread, maybe this isn't the best time to be bringing up treatment of women.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Oliver and Company was great.

Lion King was the best. And it’s not close.
              Aladdin
              Beauty and the Beast
              Lion King
              Little Mermaid

In that order, fight me.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post
                I am on the fence about seeing this. I had been mildly interested when I saw the trailer a little bit ago (I haven't seen a Tarantino movie since Inglorious Basterds). I read a fairly in depth review on Jezebel, however, that makes me more trepidatious. Tarantino isn't known for his fabulous treatment of women as time has gone on (aside from his standing up for Weinstein's behavior) and one of the critiques of the movie is the extreme violence perpetrated against the women as opposed to the violence shown against the men. In addition, the casting of Emile Hurst (not one of his stable of actors) who plead guilty to some pretty horrific violence against a female studio employee. I guess I'm wary of going to see a movie that glorifies the violence against women specifically for the enjoyment of that. After seeing Bladerunner 2049 have some pretty graphic violence specifically against the female characters (what felt like an endless choking/drowning scene as well as a visceral throatcutting scene), I'm more attuned to that going forward. It's not like women were the only people killed by the Manson family. I also am less impressed with Tarantino's constant need to show us how much he knows about film and it's history for what feels like self-aggrandizement - something I have diminishing patience for.

Edit - reading back through the recent posts in this thread, maybe this isn't the best time to be bringing up treatment of women.
                I really don't think this movie was about violence "against" women. In fact it was rather neutral on it IMO. Some of the characters are not "women" friendly I guess but they're characters. There was certainly no glorification of it though that I could see.
                Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 07-26-2019, 08:50 AM.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

The whole point of Tarantino movies is to take something inherently dramatic / cheesy and run it through the reductio ad absurdum filter. His movies don't ever preach and they don't ever make a statement, unless you interpret his loud refusal to make statements as a statement. He's Anti-Spike Lee.

I think he's a fantastic satirist and one of the very few directors working now whose work will last. People are going to watch Tarantino movies in a hundred years to understand what makes us tick (spoiler: we're so full of ourselves we can't see anything else).

And he does it without ever being pompous or ponderous, which is wonderful. He's direct in an age in which most smart film is abstract. That's something only the best can pull off. How many directors in history have been important and fun to watch at the same time?

I'm willing to bet that Tarantino is the only director both Handy and I like. He's original and smart, which I love, but he isn't intellectual or pretentious, which Handy hates.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 07-26-2019, 08:55 AM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Underrated:

Meet the Robinsons
                    Big Hero 6
                    Dumbo
                    Moana
                    Mulan

Actual best you heathens:

Pinocchio
                    Fantasia (1940)
                    Bambi
                    The Lion King
                    Peter Pan (1953)

Comment

I can't stand Fantasia. I want to like it, I swear, but it's like listening to paint dry.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 07-26-2019, 09:18 AM.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                        Robin Hood, 1973. In my top 3.
                        I'd never heard of this! I must check it out; thanks for the tip.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Man Disney+ is going to be amazing when these classics hit the service.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

I am not a big Tarantino guy but I am seeing that film today. The previews make it seem like it doesnt suffer from what most of his films do. Funny thing is I could listen to him talk about movies for HOURS but most of his movies are way too over the top for me.

And the film is about the Manson era of Hollywood...of course there is going to be exploitation of women. That is like complaining about how Black people are treated in a film about the South during the slavery era.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by bostonewe View Post

Sorry but Jezebel sucks and if they are your source of information you are doing yourself a disservice. They arent exactly known as a bastion of facts and truthfulness even by people who like them.

Plus...the story is about the murder of Sharon Tate...a WOMAN. That was the murder that brought down Manson. When you talk Charles Manson you literally talk about the Sharon Tate murder first and the rest MAYBE after. Plus Hollywood at the time was comeplete and utter misogyny.

Sorry but this stinks of Jezebel doing their clickbait stuff...looking for things to be outraged about.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                Underrated:

Meet the Robinsons
                                Big Hero 6
                                Dumbo
                                Moana
                                Mulan

Actual best you heathens:

Pinocchio
                                Fantasia (1940)
                                Bambi
                                The Lion King
                                Peter Pan (1953)
                                In what universe is Moana underrated. It is one of the best loved of the newer Disney films.

aparch,

I tried watching a few classics recently...they do NOT hold up. The 90s era stuff still does...but the older stuff is just awful. It is fun to MST3K them though
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X