X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Roger Ebert considers Sight & Sound's rankings the best: "by far the most respected of the countless polls of great movies—the only one most serious movie people take seriously."
    Thank you for this reference.

I haven't seen:

50.1 (somehow)

That's 26 of their top 53 films. I am VERY excited now!
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-10-2019, 10:06 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

What. The. ****?!?

https://youtu.be/ZL2x2OQI_64
      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
        What. The. ****?!?

That looks so wrong, and so hilarious.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          I intend to watch everything on the AFI 100 at some point. I've seen at least 46 of them already (from the 1998 and 2007 lists; out of 123) and like most of those I've seen. I didn't like 2001 or Clockwork. I didn't like Rocky when I first saw it, but it's been a very long time since then. Deer Hunter was just ok, but you gave me some "tips" for when I rewatch it.

Yes, I know these are only american films, but whatever. Gotta start somewhere. I'm sure BFI has one and there might even be one for global pictures. According to Wikipedia, Roger Ebert considers Sight & Sound's rankings the best: "by far the most respected of the countless polls of great movies—the only one most serious movie people take seriously." So I'll probably get around to that as well. Only seen 8 of the 50 on the 2012 list.
          I'm not a huge fan of Clockwork Orange, but I think it would have been improved if Kubrick had made it based on the original printing of the book and not the American printing. Who the heck edits a book for re-release in a different country by simply truncating the final chapter? Dumb.

Comment

Clockwork and Deer Hunter were simply average, IMO. The highlights of the movies weren't enough to really put them over the edge for me. I also would like to see most of the AFI Top 100 (and the global list, too), but I know I won't watch a couple of them, I simply have zero interest. However, certain actors/actresses, I am trying to see their best movies. For example: She Done Me Wrong with Mae West is an absolute classic. Same with The Public Enemy with Cagney and Harlow.

Finally, I do try and see originals that have been re-made, such as Scarface.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

What. The. ****?!?

Jezebel and The Root are going to love it.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

What. The. ****?!?

Lol:
                “Studio exec.: Aright Jim, what is this movie about?
                Jim: Think Mrs Doubtfire but EXTREMELY racist
                Studio exec.: IMMEDIATELY GREEN-LIT”

Personally, I don’t think it’s that bad. Not sure it looks very funny but I think people doth protest too much.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Jezebel and The Root are going to love it.
                  The foot thinks Golden Oreos are racist.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I get why people will think it's racist. I'm not usually one to think people need to apologize gor comedy as I believe what is funny is one of the most subjective things there is...but on this I saw a comment saying it's like vocal blackface and I struggle to argue against it.
                    I won't see it cause for me...cring worthy things are typically not funny but to each their own.
                    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                    Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

What. The. ****?!?

It will bomb in theaters, and probably get listed in many of the Siskel and Ebert-style "Worst Movies of 2019" lists the YouTube reviewers like to do every December.

Comment

I get why people will think it's racist. I'm not usually one to think people need to apologize gor comedy as I believe what is funny is one of the most subjective things there is...but on this I saw a comment saying it's like vocal blackface and I struggle to argue against it.
                        I won't see it cause for me...cring worthy things are typically not funny but to each their own.
                        Well, whats-his-face (Downey?) did it in Tropic Thunder, in a satirical manner. And then you have the movie White Chicks....

For me, what makes it funny is that it IS cringe-worthy. It's pushing a boundary.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                          Well, whats-his-face (Downey?) did it in Tropic Thunder, in a satirical manner. And then you have the movie White Chicks....

For me, what makes it funny is that it IS cringe-worthy. It's pushing a boundary.
                          And I get that...and it is what comedy is supposed to do.
                          But I wonder if Tropic Thunder could be made in 2019...much like could Blazing Saddles be made.
                          Just on the trailer...i'm seeing a modern Soul Man...and that is not good.
                          It was written, directed & produced by the star...

And like i said...im not normally into the cringe worthy. I did like RDJ in Tropic Thunder but not the movie overall.
                          I'll be interested to see the reaction this gets.
                          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                          Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

But I wonder if Tropic Thunder could be made in 2019...much like could Blazing Saddles be made.

And like i said...im not normally into the cringe worthy. I did like RDJ in Tropic Thunder but not the movie overall.
                            Wait, you said rape twice.
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I can't stand Tropic Thunder. I understood what it was doing. It will be interesting to see what happens with this.

Similar vein: could you see Three's Company being re-made, with all the gay jokes? That wouldn't fly, either, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                                I can't stand Tropic Thunder. I understood what it was doing. It will be interesting to see what happens with this.

Similar vein: could you see Three's Company being re-made, with all the gay jokes? That wouldn't fly, either, IMO.
                                Archie Bunker could not be a mainstream TV character today, with his cartoonish sexism and bigotry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJeNqoGx_t0

Comment

Working...
                                X