Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 460 of 1001

Thread: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

  1. #441
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,552

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    In the source material, Reacher is a big, intimidating dude. He's not 5'6".
    That's why a tall guy can never play Wolverine.

  2. #442
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    32,228

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    That's why a tall guy can never play Wolverine.
    Meh. I don't really care how roles are cast so long as the actor performs their role well. I was just stating what the fanboys were complaining about back when Jack Reacher was first released. And I actually have no idea how tall Hugh Jackman is.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

  3. #443
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,552

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Meh. I don't really care how roles are cast so long as the actor performs their role well. I was just stating what the fanboys were complaining about back when Jack Reacher was first released. And I actually have no idea how tall Hugh Jackman is.
    6'3"
    Wolverine is 5'3"

    Hence, Hugh Jackman must have been a lousy Wolverine.

    I know that's not YOUR argument, but that was certainly AN argument when he was cast

  4. #444
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    32,228

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    6'3"
    Wolverine is 5'3"

    Hence, Hugh Jackman must have been a lousy Wolverine.

    I know that's not YOUR argument, but that was certainly AN argument when he was cast
    Yup, keep stroking at it, because I'm really making the argument.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

  5. #445
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,749

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Beneath The Leaves:
    Four small-town boys are kidnapped by James Whitley, a warm-eyed psychopath. His grotesque pursuit to reunite orphaned children with their deceased birth parents is halted when the boys escape and he is arrested. Fifteen years later Whitley flees during a prison fire and decides to see his mission through.

    This was okay. I checked it out because it had Paul and Mira Sorvino, whom I both like (especially Paul, what a great character actor). A few twists, some nice drama. I can't say it's great, but it is better than good.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  6. #446
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,748

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    In the source material, Reacher is a big, intimidating dude. He's not 5'6".
    true.... but isn't cruise exec prod and bought the franchise? (mookie reads the books and has to visualize a real 'reacher' )
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  7. #447
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,748

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    6'3"
    Wolverine is 5'3"

    Hence, Hugh Jackman must have been a lousy Wolverine.

    I know that's not YOUR argument, but that was certainly AN argument when he was cast
    another comic book? who cares
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  8. #448
    Apartheid Loving Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    42,239

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    true.... but isn't cruise exec prod and bought the franchise? (mookie reads the books and has to visualize a real 'reacher' )
    That literally has nothing to do with the conversation.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  9. #449

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    69,674

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    That literally has nothing to do with the conversation.
    It explains how an old tiny man got the role.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  10. #450
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,552

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Yup, keep stroking at it, because I'm really making the argument.
    It's like I didn't even write the part in white.

  11. #451
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    32,228

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    It's like I didn't even write the part in white.
    It's like you didn't. (I didn't see it.)
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

  12. #452
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    It explains how an old tiny man got the role.
    So thatís something

  13. #453
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,749

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Mary Poppins Returns:

    What a simply delightful movie. Charming. No snark. After the initial few minutes of set-up, I dunno if anyone could have wiped the small smile from my face the entire rest of the movie. It was a perma-grin, if one were to exaggerate. I haven't seen the first one since I was a little tyke, yet some memories of that one came flooding back (probably the cause of my love of penguins, in hindsight). HIGHLY recommend.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  14. #454

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    38,967
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    Mary Poppins Returns:

    What a simply delightful movie. Charming. No snark. After the initial few minutes of set-up, I dunno if anyone could have wiped the small smile from my face the entire rest of the movie. It was a perma-grin, if one were to exaggerate. I haven't seen the first one since I was a little tyke, yet some memories of that one came flooding back (probably the cause of my love of penguins, in hindsight). HIGHLY recommend.
    I was wishing Julie Andrews had an uncredited cameo (my hope was the birdwomen), but c'est le Disney

  15. #455
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    30,235

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse

    Whoa. Like 99.5/100. I suppose they probably could have shaded a scene better or something. But everything else was perfectly crafted. This was substance with impeccable style.

    Not just the best comic movie ever made, but this was one of my favorite movies.

  16. #456
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,749

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    I was wishing Julie Andrews had an uncredited cameo (my hope was the birdwomen), but c'est le Disney
    That would have been nice, although Lansbury was a perfect cameo. She did fit the part. I guess, where would Julie fit in? A shopkeeper or some passer-by? Cameo like that, don't waste it. So maybe addition by subtraction?
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  17. #457
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6,759
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    I was wishing Julie Andrews had an uncredited cameo (my hope was the birdwomen), but c'est le Disney
    Mrs. Solo informed me Julie Andrews was offered a cameo and she turned it down suggesting it was Emily Bluntís time. Interesting.

    I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. Iím not a huge fan of the original which feels like itís 3 hours long...

  18. #458
    Short/Round bostonewe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    11,951

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Mrs. Solo informed me Julie Andrews was offered a cameo and she turned it down suggesting it was Emily Bluntís time. Interesting.

    I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. Iím not a huge fan of the original which feels like itís 3 hours long...
    For a second I thought you meant Carrie Fisher and I was super impressed that you were talking to the dead...

    I haven't seen the new Mary Poppins yet - though I love Lin-Manuel. I'm so far behind on watching movies that I want to see...

  19. #459
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,749

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Mrs. Solo informed me Julie Andrews was offered a cameo and she turned it down suggesting it was Emily Bluntís time. Interesting.

    I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. Iím not a huge fan of the original which feels like itís 3 hours long...
    That was along my thinking. If it's a cameo, make it count or bow out. Julie bowed out, and given her rep, she made the right decision. I don't see where she would fit.....
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  20. #460

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    69,674

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    There is always room for Julie Andrews.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •