Clear All

• Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    The Frozen Ground?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      Regarding Cusack's latest Twitter kerfuffle, perhaps he's depressed after going from a decent Hollywood A-lister to having to make a movie with another befallen icon Nick Cage that looked just freaking awful. I stumbled upon it while flipping channels and had to turn it off after about 10 minutes. Cage looked like he was doing an impression of Andy Kaufman pretending to be Tony Clifton. Effing wow it was bad.
      Cusack was an A-Lister?

Cusack is Cage lite.

Now, I've seen many movies where I enjoyed their performances. But they each have something like 729 movies to their credit, so I'm BOUND by simple odds of finding something entertaining.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Okay maybe not an A-Lister but he was the lead for 2012, wasn't an unknown commodity and had some decent roles.

Comment

If I get what happened, Kusack posted this quote (which I have heard before):

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize"
          with an attribution of Voltaire (which I have seen before, and which is right up his alley). Unfortunately, the quote actually comes from this jerk, an anti-Semite. And making it significantly worse, Kusack posted it in the context of criticizing Israel.

Obviously if Kusack knows the provenance and significance of the original quote he's guilty of spreading an anti-Semitic slur. But. Let's say he thought it was Voltaire (which I did), and that it was originally intended to be a dig at the kings and priests ol' François-Marie was usually on about. Is that anti-Semitic? The literal interpretation is that he's saying Israel and perhaps by extension the Jewish community "rules." That's an old, paranoid anti-Semitic trope.

But figuratively the quote is about third rails. Certainly there are third rails where making any sort of statement will provoke a sh-tstorm, regardless of the content of the statement. And I think it's obvious that third railism is bad for debate. So, is the sh-tstorm actually proving the point, if the point was the latter?
          Last edited by Kepler; 06-19-2019, 09:14 AM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            If I get what happened, Kusack posted this quote (which I have heard before):

with an attribution of Voltaire (which I have seen before, and which is right up his alley). Unfortunately, the quote actually comes from this jerk, an anti-Semite. And making it significantly worse, Kusack posted it in the context of criticizing Israel.

Obviously if Kusack knows the provenance and significance of the original quote he's guilty of spreading an anti-Semitic slur. But. Let's say he thought it was Voltaire (which I did), and that it was originally intended to be a dig at the kings and priests ol' François-Marie was usually on about. Is that anti-Semitic? The literal interpretation is that he's saying Israel and perhaps by extension the Jewish community "rules." That's an old, paranoid anti-Semitic trope.

But figuratively the quote is about third rails. Certainly there are third rails where making any sort of statement will provoke a sh-tstorm, regardless of the content of the statement. And I think it's obvious that third railism is bad for debate. So, is the sh-tstorm actually proving the point, if the point was the latter?
            I mean, the image he retweeted had a big ole Star of David on it. I don't think he was going for an academic discussion of the Enlightenment era given that context.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
              I mean, the image he retweeted had a big ole Star of David on it. I don't think he was going for an academic discussion of the Enlightenment era given that context.
              I admit he was targeting Israel. I'm not saying he has any intelligence or subtlety of thought, he's a f-cking actor; have you met Reagan?

You are very smart. You know what I'm saying. Does a Star of David preclude argument? Serious question. I'm thinking a swastika is making an overt statement even absent any other context unless you're an ancient Indian philologist. It's inherently editorial. Is a Star of David inherently editorial, or does it mean Israel the way a cowboy hat means country music or a goatee means Millennial?

This is the cartoon:

It says AIPAC and Bibi to me, not Jews writ large. However I have no idea what the larger discussion he was referring to was. If it has to do with some "Hollywood is run by the Jews" BS then OK I withdraw my comments.
              Last edited by Kepler; 06-19-2019, 10:21 AM.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

That is how he meant it yes...but his ignorance shows. He actually is a thoughtful guy so it is kind of sad really.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

That poster looked better circa 1933, in the original German. Great job, dumbarse.

Is it really that hard to criticize the STATE OF ISRAEL, without coming off as an Antisemitic nutball?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    Is it really that hard to criticize the STATE OF ISRAEL, without coming off as an Antisemitic nutball?
                    You can't criticize the state of Israel without being accused of being Antisemitic.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      Depends on the audience. I personally know a lot of Jews that can discern between the two. I also know some that can't. For the latter group any attack on Israel is an attack on Judaism. It's a bummer. I've tried to clarify and explain to no avail. Doesn't keep me from trying, though.
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                        You can't criticize the state of Israel without being accused of being Antisemitic.
                        Sure you can. That is complete crap.

Just don't do it with a slur or some stereotype and you are fine.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                          Depends on the audience. I personally know a lot of Jews that can discern between the two. I also know some that can't. For the latter group any attack on Israel is an attack on Judaism. It's a bummer. I've tried to clarify and explain to no avail. Doesn't keep me from trying, though.
                          Those Jews are annoying but are hardly the majority.
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                            Yep, this. Same thing with Christians and Biblical inerrantists and generally speaking any fringe group that hides behind the majority as a shield. Bibi and his creeps have been pulling this stuff forever, but so does every televangelist in the US when he is caught in his jet with a dead girl or a live boy.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              Those Jews are annoying but are hardly the majority.
                              I don't know that there's been formal polling.

I always got the idea that the "if you criticize Israel you're Hitler" types are either the dummies or con artists in media and politics playing a dummy card for effect, while the people who can distinguish are the intelligent.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                Sure you can. That is complete crap.

Just don't do it with a slur or some stereotype and you are fine.
                                Try it. You'll be accused of being Antisemitic.

Comment

Working...
                                X