Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

Apartheid Loving Conservadem!
    Quote Originally Posted by state of hockey View Post
    Sandler = Mauer?
    Even a bad Sandler film isn't that boring

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Rather than swinging for the fences, a batter is just hitting for average instead.

It's a metaphor. Would you like to be clued in on what those are?
    Pretty much this.

It comes from Eisner and his start as CEO at Disney. Basically you make a bunch of cheap, smaller budget movies with small profit instead of trying to make a huge, expensive blockbuster that has huge risk of losing a ton.

Edit: Good video on the subject.

Never Forget!

Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Pretty much this.

It comes from Eisner and his start as CEO at Disney. Basically you make a bunch of cheap, smaller budget movies with small profit instead of trying to make a huge, expensive blockbuster that has huge risk of losing a ton.

Edit: Good video on the subject.
    That's the Blumhouse business model.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Sandler has said that the reason he's allowed to keep making movies isn't because his movies are great, most of them aren't, but because he can make them on the cheap so they manage to turn a profit.
    Good business sense, I suppose. I did enjoy Punch Drunk Love for a non-inane movie of his. Happy Gilmore/Waterboy are sophomoric classics, of course. I was hoping for more with this one.

Big Kill:
    A tenderfoot from Philadelphia, two misfit gamblers on the run, and a deadly preacher have a date with destiny in a boom town gone bust called Big Kill.

Standard B-Movie western, not a bad thing at all. I fully enjoyed it. Decent action, nice dry humorous zingers, rather entertaining.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

The Birdcage: I hadnt watched this in years and man I still love it. (outside of Gene Hackman in drag) Williams and Lane are just perfect together and Hank Azaria as Agadore Spartacus was brilliant!
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    The Birdcage: I hadnt watched this in years and man I still love it. (outside of Gene Hackman in drag) Williams and Lane are just perfect together and Hank Azaria as Agadore Spartacus was brilliant!
    One of my favorites!

Going to see Midsommar on Saturday. Canít wait

Never Forget!

I found the latest Spiderman enjoyable, but not great. There weren't so much plot holes as "logic holes" in the script. I expect a few - it IS a superhero movie after all - but there were just too many things that didn't add up. I had a good time and several parts were excellent. I found myself wanting more of Peter and MJ and less of Spiderman (which is kinda the point of the comics)

I wish I had left before the mid-credits scene. Kevin Feige said Far From Home capped Phase III of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and as the credits rolled it felt that way. The mid-credits scene changed all that. If you do stay, stay until the very end. The final end credits scene is funny and explains some (but not nearly all) of those logic holes. And no, it's not a lecture from Captain America about expectations.

The movie itself gets an 8. The mid credits scene knocks it down to a 7. It really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    I found the latest Spiderman enjoyable, but not great. There weren't so much plot holes as "logic holes" in the script. I expect a few - it IS a superhero movie after all - but there were just too many things that didn't add up. I had a good time and several parts were excellent. I found myself wanting more of Peter and MJ and less of Spiderman (which is kinda the point of the comics)

I wish I had left before the mid-credits scene. Kevin Feige said Far From Home capped Phase III of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and as the credits rolled it felt that way. The mid-credits scene changed all that. If you do stay, stay until the very end. The final end credits scene is funny and explains some (but not nearly all) of those logic holes. And no, it's not a lecture from Captain America about expectations.

The movie itself gets an 8. The mid credits scene knocks it down to a 7. It really left a bad taste in my mouth.
    I must have watched a completely different movie and mid-credit scene.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I must have watched a completely different movie and mid-credit scene.
    No, I'm pretty sure it was the same one.

I know people are going nuts for it. It just didn't hit me the same. I'm not saying it's a bad movie, it just doesn't measure up to the first one, or the best MCU films. That's a high bar to clear.

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    No, I'm pretty sure it was the same one.

I know people are going nuts for it. It just didn't hit me the same. I'm not saying it's a bad movie, it just doesn't measure up to the first one, or the best MCU films. That's a high bar to clear.
    If we just isolate Spiderman this movie stands alone at the top. It's the best done Spidey Villain in film. The action sequences were awesome. So, yes, I thought it was better than the "first" one. By a wide margin.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

Yeah but you also liked Dark Phoenix (I am kidding)

I will probably see Spidey in a couple weeks with my buddy. (likelong Spidey fan) He isnt super excited for it though.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Never Forget!

In news that will surprise exactly no one: MoviePass suspended operations effective 5AM today. Mitch Lowe claims the suspension is temporary for a few weeks so it can update the app. Of course this doesn't hold any water since most companies just roll out a new app without bothering to interrupt service. If the service ever comes back, I'd expect it in September, after It 2 with another "suspension" in December.

I'm still a subscriber. The company is shady as hell, but the nearest AMC is over 100 miles away and Regal hasn't introduced a service yet (although it is coming!) so MP it is. Or was....

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Yeah but you also liked Dark Phoenix (I am kidding)

I will probably see Spidey in a couple weeks with my buddy. (likelong Spidey fan) He isnt super excited for it though.
    I did. He should be. Mysterio is incredible.

Never Forget!

If we just isolate Spiderman this movie stands alone at the top. It's the best done Spidey Villain in film. The action sequences were awesome. So, yes, I thought it was better than the "first" one. By a wide margin.
    I do like Tom Holland's portrayal of Peter Parker/Spiderman. He only has one more solo film (and 0 MCU films) left so I hope Disney and Sony can continue to play nice and extend his contract.

I did. He should be. Mysterio is incredible.
    He will be when he sees it...his gripes arent with Holland as Spidey but more with the Iron Man/MCU stuff. I think he would have liked Homecoming more if that had been tempered more. He also isnt a big Mysterio guy...

Spidey was probably the best part of Civil War and was awesome in Infinity War so even if he said he wasnt going I would see it at some point.
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Fun In Balloonland

Tried watching it on what was basically a dare from a friend. 10 minutes in.....nope. Good lord it's horrible.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    Fun In Balloonland

Tried watching it on what was basically a dare from a friend. 10 minutes in.....nope. Good lord it's horrible.
    https://awfulmovies.m.miraheze.org/w...n_Balloon_Land
    Last edited by Kepler; 07-05-2019 at 10:43 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Honkies have a sad.

I don't give a sh-t what color Ariel's skin is as long as she's a redhead.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Honkies have a sad.

I don't give a sh-t what color Ariel's skin is as long as she's a redhead.
    Everyone knows they canít swim....

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Everyone knows they can’t swim....
    It's the buoyancy.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Thread Information