Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 380 of 1001

Thread: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

  1. #361
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,521

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Bullitt County:

    4 college friends re-unite, find out about some alleged hidden treasure, things go awry. The main plot isn't the story. The characters are. I thought it was decent, told in flashback form to fill in the blanks of the characters' histories. A little hammed up in acting, but not a big budget movie, so not surprised. Worth a gander.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  2. #362
    Apartheid Loving Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    41,919

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    My wife and saw Yesterday, well, yesterday. If you're a Beatles fan, you're likely to enjoy it. If you're not a fan, but like their most popular music, you might enjoy it. Kepler will hate it.

    There are a number of covers done, at least in part, throughout the movie. I enjoyed their take on Please, Help Me! as it fit the context of the story greatly in how they arranged it.

    In short, there's a global event where all power goes out for all devices, regardless of being battery operated or plugged into the wall. Power comes back a few seconds later, but a few things are different. Specific to the main storyline, The Beatles were never a thing except that our protagonist remembers them and turns their old songs into his good fortune. And the story goes on from there with the standard ups and downs.

    It's formulaic, sure, but it's well executed within the formula. Jokes are setup right, the drama and character crises were built in a good fashion, and the supporting characters were designed in a way to help along the story without becoming the story. Even Ed Sheeran did okay.
    I saw this today...I liked it. Not a must see or anything but a kind of cool concept and the ending was kind of unique.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  3. #363

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    69,014

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    My wife and saw Yesterday, well, yesterday. If you're a Beatles fan, you're likely to enjoy it. If you're not a fan, but like their most popular music, you might enjoy it. Kepler will hate it.
    I heard about it on NPR. The last dying gasp of Boomers who think the Beatles were transformative. Let them have their green jello. They're done.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  4. #364

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    69,014

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Happy 103rd birthday Olivia de Havilland. Hermia in A Midsummer Night's Dream in 1935:

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  5. #365
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    31,784

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I heard about it on NPR. The last dying gasp of Boomers who think the Beatles were transformative. Let them have their green jello. They're done.
    Sure thing.

  6. #366
    Apartheid Loving Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    41,919

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I heard about it on NPR. The last dying gasp of Boomers who think the Beatles were transformative. Let them have their green jello. They're done.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  7. #367
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    6,694

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Probably not necessary: https://youtu.be/dd8OsSdXEGc

  8. #368
    Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The Black Lodge
    Posts
    33,137

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Kep is right about the Beatles. Their best album is Revolver/the psychedelic era.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  9. #369
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    119,521

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Cop Car:
    Two 10YO runaways steal a corrupt sheriff's car. Trouble ensues. It's a B-Movie, let me make that clear. However, it was an okay watch. The innocence (and stupidity) of kids is the focus here. Kevin Bacon must be hurtin' a little bit in the pocketbook. If this were a Hollywood Hit, I could see the movie being better, Bacon's role could have been a meaty one. But alas....

    Murder Mystery:
    Sandler movie, produced by his company. Only gave it a chance because Jen Aniston is in it, and she's been known to take chances on what ends up being really good movies. This wasn't one of them. My given chance on the movie lasted 20 minutes. The movie tried, but failed due to the lack of Sandler's evolution of making a decent movie. You would think he'd improve in some areas, but nope.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  10. #370
    NPC ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    74,309

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Spiderman Far From Home. ****ing Fantastic. 5 Stars

  11. #371
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,571
    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Kep is right about the Beatles. Their best album is Revolver/the psychedelic era.
    Kep is right can’t have ‘best’ and ‘Beatles’ in the same sentence

  12. #372
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    32,159

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    Murder Mystery:
    Sandler movie, produced by his company. Only gave it a chance because Jen Aniston is in it, and she's been known to take chances on what ends up being really good movies. This wasn't one of them. My given chance on the movie lasted 20 minutes. The movie tried, but failed due to the lack of Sandler's evolution of making a decent movie. You would think he'd improve in some areas, but nope.
    Sandler has said that the reason he's allowed to keep making movies isn't because his movies are great, most of them aren't, but because he can make them on the cheap so they manage to turn a profit.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

  13. #373
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    19,466
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Sandler has said that the reason he's allowed to keep making movies isn't because his movies are great, most of them aren't, but because he can make them on the cheap so they manage to turn a profit.
    The old singles and doubles theory.

  14. #374

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    69,014

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    The old singles and doubles theory.
    What's that?
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  15. #375
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    32,159

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    What's that?
    Rather than swinging for the fences, a batter is just hitting for average instead.

    It's a metaphor. Would you like to be clued in on what those are?
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

  16. #376

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    69,014

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Rather than swinging for the fences, a batter is just hitting for average instead.

    It's a metaphor. Would you like to be clued in on what those are?
    This is funny because your argument is an analogy, not a metaphor.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  17. #377
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    32,159

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    This is funny because your argument is an analogy, not a metaphor.
    I thought you'd like that.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

  18. #378

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Long Winded Posts That Go Nowhere (TM)
    Posts
    69,014

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I thought you'd like that.
    Indeed I did.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  19. #379
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,571

    Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    I saw this today...I liked it. Not a must see or anything but a kind of cool concept and the ending was kind of unique.
    just back. enjoyed it and will watch daily once it makes hbo and netflix (mookie currently watched major league and major league 2 every.single.day).

    mookie's heart burst with joy when he opened the door. would be so great if he was 78 they even worked in mookie's favorite story from him
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  20. #380
    He fixes the cable?
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    23,106
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Rather than swinging for the fences, a batter is just hitting for average instead.
    Sandler = Mauer?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •