Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

We went to see Rocketman yesterday and thought it was(captain)fantastic. see what I did there? Went in thinking it was going to be a biopic type Bohemian Rhapsody but the curve they threw was Koufax mesmerizing. Taron Egerton played played Elton Hercules John, sang, and did a spot on job.
    A bad cause requires many words.

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Didnt you say you havent seen an X-Men film since X-Men: The Last Stand? Of course this would be better than that (that movie was awful)

Glad you liked it though I am seeing it Wednesday cause I aint paying.
    I've seen bits and pieces of the other ones. Logan was the only one that was any good and I ****ing hate Wolverine so............... I really did like it. My buddy did not like it as much but his girlfriend did. He ripped me and said the only reason I liked it so much is because Wolverine wasn't in it. LOL.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

Quote Originally Posted by SonofSouthie View Post
    We went to see Rocketman yesterday and thought it was(captain)fantastic. see what I did there? Went in thinking it was going to be a biopic type Bohemian Rhapsody but the curve they threw was Koufax mesmerizing. Taron Egerton played played Elton Hercules John, sang, and did a spot on job.
    A local reviewer (Star Tribune) said the movie was more of "what it FELT like" being Elton John, rather than the straightforward biopic.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Apartheid Loving Conservadem!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I've seen bits and pieces of the other ones. Logan was the only one that was any good and I ****ing hate Wolverine so............... I really did like it. My buddy did not like it as much but his girlfriend did. He ripped me and said the only reason I liked it so much is because Wolverine wasn't in it. LOL.
    Probably helped

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

You forgot "I suppose I could riff a list of things I care as little about as our last week... OH. And Hugh Jackman!"
    "Hugh Jackman is Wolverine! How dare he!"
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    You forgot "I suppose I could riff a list of things I care as little about as our last week... OH. And Hugh Jackman!"
    "Hugh Jackman is Wolverine! How dare he!"
    I was gonna add those but they weren't quality gifs

wubba lubba dub dub

Depends.

I stopped going to X-Men movies after X-Men: The Last Stand cause it was so horrible. Want(ed) to see this one cause it's one of my favorite storylines but what I've heard is not good.

I may pass again.
    Not why I hate most of the films but I've always hated Wolverine. Such a boring character by marvel standards.
    You should rent/stream X-Men: First Class. It is, IMO, the best of the new X-Men movies. And to your liking, Wolverine has about a 3-second cameo in the movie for a quick joke, that's it.

I saw Dark Phoenix last night, but had to leave just after the climax. So I missed the full resolution of the movie. It was decent - nothing great by any means, but I liked this version of the Dark Phoenix much better than any version I've seen thus far - live action movies or animated shows.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

I am Dark Phoenix right now...whole theater to myself. Never had this at any major release I have seen no matter day or time.

Sad.

Dark Phoenix: C+/B-. I wanted to like it way more, and parts of it are pretty dang sweet...but ultimately it is dragged down by some of the choices made and the cast. Sophie Turner as Jean Grey/Phoenix just didn't work. She does not have the gravitas or the ability to emote to the level needed to make her character what it should have been. (or at least she doesnt with this director and this script) Jessica Chastain is wasted (good lord her character was dumb...hell that whole storyline was crap) which also was annoying.

I dunno it felt like they went for some rather cliche stories where they werent needed. It was very paint by numbers in that regard.

Nicholas Hoult as Beast was quite good. Fassbender as Magneto is always a good time on screen and McAvoy as Xaviar for the most part really holds together the story. The rest of the X-Men (outside of Cyclops who always seems to end up a whiny baby in these things) are also good to varying degrees with Quicksilver and Nightcrawler stealing early scenes. Nightcrawler in the final showdown is sick!

The final showdown saves the film from being a true disaster. A whole lot of fun, until the very end with the stupid voiceover. (though the scene in Paris was nice in its own right)

I think the film had the potential to be something pretty awesome, but either through failure of story, directing or just the wrong actors in the wrong parts it never got there. On the spectrum of X films it is better than Last Stand (though not by as much as it should have been) but is well behind First Class and Days of Future's Past. It isnt as bad as some of the reviews, but it isnt that much better either.
    Last edited by Handyman; 06-13-2019 at 09:51 AM.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

wubba lubba dub dub

I agree that Sophie Turner was miscast. That role needs things she hasn't really been able to show as an actress. To me, it felt like they plucked in Sansa Stark because they wanted the GoT name connected to the movie.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Wife dragged me to Aladdin.

Holy ****balls that sucked. D- because of Will Smith. Without him it would not merit a grade whatsoever.
    Last edited by solovsfett; 06-14-2019 at 08:52 AM.

Men in Black: Ragnarok

Dont waste your time. It is about 1/4 a fun movie the rest is just worthless.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Men in Black: Ragnarok

Dont waste your time. It is about 1/4 a fun movie the rest is just worthless.
    Shoot. I was hopeful.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

Shoot. I was hopeful.
    So was I but it kind of suffers from the same issues the other sequels do. The charm of the first one is partly there because it is new to us as well. By this point getting the "we are the Men in Black" speech has no meaning because everyone knows it.

With a better story it could have been solid. I just dont think the concept lends itself to much more than that in sequels because it is a known commodity and half of what makes it great is being unknown.
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

there's a good buck in that racket.

What men want - watched on plane, so not sure if there was nudity or not. If so, would watch. Otherwise no

9 to 5 - dated so worth a view for historical measure. Lily tomlin is always funny. Dolly is always sweet.

Regarding Cusack's latest Twitter kerfuffle, perhaps he's depressed after going from a decent Hollywood A-lister to having to make a movie with another befallen icon Nick Cage that looked just freaking awful. I stumbled upon it while flipping channels and had to turn it off after about 10 minutes. Cage looked like he was doing an impression of Andy Kaufman pretending to be Tony Clifton. Effing wow it was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Cage looked like he was doing an impression of Andy Kaufman pretending to be Tony Clifton.
    Wait. Pretending?
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    What men want - watched on plane, so not sure if there was nudity or not. If so, would watch. Otherwise no
    Given the title it's just 3 hours of silence.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Given the title it's just 3 hours of silence.
    Heyooo!

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Regarding Cusack's latest Twitter kerfuffle, perhaps he's depressed after going from a decent Hollywood A-lister to having to make a movie with another befallen icon Nick Cage that looked just freaking awful. I stumbled upon it while flipping channels and had to turn it off after about 10 minutes. Cage looked like he was doing an impression of Andy Kaufman pretending to be Tony Clifton. Effing wow it was bad.
    The Frozen Ground?

Thread Information