X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Archie Bunker could not be a mainstream TV character today, with his cartoonish sexism and bigotry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJeNqoGx_t0
    That's what South Park is for (really, they modeled the show after Archie Bunker, since cartoons can get away with more than live-action).
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
      That's what South Park is for (really, they modeled the show after Archie Bunker, since cartoons can get away with more than live-action).
      I don't look at Cartman and think of Archie. I just think of that one "edgy" kid in elementary school who bullied the nerds and probably had a nasty home life.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        Wait, you said rape twice.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          Personally, I don’t think it’s that bad. Not sure it looks very funny but I think people doth protest too much.
          I'm sure it will be stupid, but not because it's racist but because it will have been released after 1962.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The Mummy (1932). Don't remember if I saw it before or not. Fantastic movie. Karloff's best.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              The Mummy (1932). Don't remember if I saw it before or not. Fantastic movie. Karloff's best.
              The classic "monster movies" are awesome. So underappreciated nowadays.

And as far as South Park, it's the general nature of the humor. Can you imagine all of that in live-action? The media would have a field day.

Edit: and Blazing Saddles proves that rape jokes can be funny.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Lol:
                “Studio exec.: Aright Jim, what is this movie about?
                Jim: Think Mrs Doubtfire but EXTREMELY racist
                Studio exec.: IMMEDIATELY GREEN-LIT”

Personally, I don’t think it’s that bad. Not sure it looks very funny but I think people doth protest too much.
                I enjoyed this comment:
                He's nailing the voice. He sounds exactly like a middle aged white guy trying to sound like a cliche stereotypical black woman.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  When I was a kid there a number of things I loved to watch that were way before my time:

1. Monster movies. Mummy, Frankenstein, Dracula, the Mole... Karloff, Legosi, Chaney, Rains...
                  2. Our Gang, The Marx Brothers, A & C, The Three Stooges, The Bowry Boys, Laurel and Hardy...
                  3. Tarzan. I think Weissmuller was my favorite
                  4. The original Godzilla movies. The very first one is really hard to beat, Destroy All Monsters is one the best from the latter years, Ghidorah might be the best, "vs." from the franchise
                  5. Blondie

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    When I was a kid there a number of things I loved to watch that were way before my time:

1. Monster movies. Mummy, Frankenstein, Dracula, the Mole... Karloff, Legosi, Chaney, Rains...
                    2. Our Gang, The Marx Brothers, A & C, The Three Stooges, The Bowry Boys, Laurel and Hardy...
                    4. The original Godzilla movies. The very first one is really hard to beat, Destroy All Monsters is one the best from the latter years, Ghidorah might be the best, "vs." from the franchise
                    5. Blondie
                    Mucho mistrust, love's gone behind
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

5. Blondie
                      I never saw Blondie but I watched all of those plus Bugs Bunny and Popeye.

TCM has been playing Popeyes on Saturday mornings. They are amazing. Really clever and really funny. It's hard to make comedy stand up over time -- almost all the comic radio shows on TCM are so dated they are terrible. The only exception is Jack Benny who, somehow, is timeless.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        Mucho mistrust, love's gone behind
                        I have never understood those last words. Thank you.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Aquaman:

Saw "Justice League" a while ago, and was impressed that they made Aquaman a DGAF Badarse. So, out of curiosity, watched this. The first 30 minutes or so, pretty cool. After that, a moment here and there, but overall what a bloated pile of steaming sh*. Mainly, the movie could have cut a third of the running time and it would be okay. That's just the start.

If you're all into the comics, go for it. But if you're not, or if you're marginal, don't even bother. A mess of a movie.

Comment

I wont get into it, but Aquaman the film is zero like Aquaman the comics. Liking it or not liking it has zero to do with liking or not liking comic books. Either you like mindless action movies or you dont. (no judgement either way)

Aquaman is a late 80s-mid 90s action film nothing more and nothing less. Hell it goes out of its way to point it out throughout the film. The movie is not supposed to be take seriously except to say "holy crap Aquaman just beat the crap out of that guy!"
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              I wont get into it, but Aquaman the film is zero like Aquaman the comics. Liking it or not liking it has zero to do with liking or not liking comic books. Either you like mindless action movies or you dont. (no judgement either way)

Aquaman is a late 80s-mid 90s action film nothing more and nothing less. Hell it goes out of its way to point it out throughout the film. The movie is not supposed to be take seriously except to say "holy crap Aquaman just beat the crap out of that guy!"
                              I had asked a comic book fan friend of mine about it, and his response was, "They made Aquaman as badarse as he could be." That was truth. They did. However, the multiple montages, the extended battle scenes, etc...those took away from the movie. If it was a 90 minute job, tight editing, I think it would have been awesome. He comes across like a serious/caring Deadpool. *shrug*

Edit: if you're a comic book person, you'll forgive some stuff, and I understand that. I do the same with mafia movies.
                              Last edited by The Rube; 05-12-2019, 10:37 PM.

Comment

It was a boring *** movie.

Comment

Working...
                                X