This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movie Thread #50: Godzilla gives us permission to nuke our enemies

Major spoilers in this good article about Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Caveat lector.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

"What's your favorite scary movie?"

"Showgirls."
      That was such a horrible movie. JFC. I actually saw that in the theaters. This is the honest reason: seeing a wide-release NC-17 movie with a lot of hype? I don't recall the last time that happened (this includes the previous ratings of X before the NC-17 designation). Plus the cast was decent, so why not pay $4 or whatever it was back then for a matinee?

It was a comedy at best.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Sony said this afternoon the partnership with Disney was over and Spider-Man would no longer be in the greater MCU.

Sony's stock tanked within minutes.

Within the hour Sony had backtracked and said negotiations were still ongoing.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          Sony said this afternoon the partnership with Disney was over and Spider-Man would no longer be in the greater MCU.

Sony's stock tanked within minutes.

Within the hour Sony had backtracked and said negotiations were still ongoing.
          Sony has a rich history of smart business decisions.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

A fourth Matrix movie is coming. I didn't expect it at all.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              A fourth Matrix movie is coming. I didn't expect it at all.
              Just saw that, and I"m kinda wary. Actually, very wary. At least they have Keanu and Carrie coming back.

Comment

How can there be a fourth movie? There was never a second or third.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                  How can there be a fourth movie? There was never a second or third.
                  I would disagree with the second. The second one was awesome. Merovingian, the Architect, The Oracle, all of it, I think encompassed the main points of The Matrix. The third, it was a lot of guns and battle, with a moment or two of actual substance, at best. I liked it, but it was the worst of the three by far.

Comment

The second one was OK. Each of the scenes you mentioned are good.

The underlying philosophical issues are explored better in the second one, but the stupidity that's unavoidable in the casting choices is really starting to kick in then.

And then the third... oh, god, the third.

A-, B+, F.

I was such a great idea (albeit stolen from dozens of precursors in hard SF). I only wish more competent writers, directors, and actors had been given it to work with. In 50 years when they're all dead somebody should do it right.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• The second matrix was the best. They never made a third.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

The first was overrated and unwatchable now, 2 and 3 were horrible.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                          Sony has a rich history of smart business decisions.
                          Sony followed up by saying the decision was essentially Disney's. With everything else on Feige's plate he won't be able to oversee the Spiderman movies anymore. That Disney was (allegedly) seeking an increase from 5% to 50% of the profits of each film wasn't mentioned.

So plotwise, I'm going to guess giving Peter Parker the EDITH glasses and making Spiderman the centerpiece for the MCU going forward was a *slight* mistake, seeing as how neither will be in the MCU anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            Sony followed up by saying the decision was essentially Disney's. With everything else on Feige's plate he won't be able to oversee the Spiderman movies anymore. That Disney was (allegedly) seeking an increase from 5% to 50% of the profits of each film wasn't mentioned.

So plotwise, I'm going to guess giving Peter Parker the EDITH glasses and making Spiderman the centerpiece for the MCU going forward was a *slight* mistake, seeing as how neither will be in the MCU anymore.
                            It's still an ongoing negotiation. They can get a deal done. I think this is a PR play to use the public as leverage.
                            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

There is talk of two more Spiderman films in the works, it will probably come down to negotiating for one or both to still be part of the MCU Phase 4. Likely one last "solo" film or New Avengers movie. Then they can quietly ignore him as Sony strangles their golden goose when the Re-Re-Re-Re-Booted Spiderman origin film flops.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

BREAKING: Disney has announced a new Marvel character, Iron Spider, who lives in Queens and has the alter ego Tony Stark Jr. The movie will star Tom Holland.

(Not really...but would it surprise anyone if it happened?)

Comment

Working...
                                X