AlaskaNanooksFuture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AlaskaNanooksFuture

University of Alaska Fairbanks Chancellor Dan White has confirmed that the Alaska Nanook Hockey team will renew its lease to play their home games at the Carlson Center this upcoming season.

But the University is looking to upgrade the Patty Center Ice Arena beginning this summer to move the games back on campus within two years. A renewed focus to renovate the on-campus facility is in the works because of an aging ice plant at the Carlson Center.

The Patty Center ice will be used as an emergency backup for home games, hopefully with a WCHA exemption, if the Carlson Center ice plant fails this hockey season.

Two committees, including one that will explore capitalization of a hockey venue on campus, will be formed for the future plans.

UAF alum Jason Gootee, a former hockey alumni president and current executive at Moda Health will anchor one the groups.

Gootee's passion for UAF and business expertise in private partnerships, including the Moda Center that is home to the NBA's Portland Trailblazers, will be an asset.

Re: AlaskaNanooksFuture

Seems like good news for Nanook fans and for the sport.

Any word on the out look for Anchorage's future?
    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
      University of Alaska Fairbanks Chancellor Dan White has confirmed that the Alaska Nanook Hockey team will renew its lease to play their home games at the Carlson Center this upcoming season.

But the University is looking to upgrade the Patty Center Ice Arena beginning this summer to move the games back on campus within two years. A renewed focus to renovate the on-campus facility is in the works because of an aging ice plant at the Carlson Center.

The Patty Center ice will be used as an emergency backup for home games, hopefully with a WCHA exemption, if the Carlson Center ice plant fails this hockey season.

Two committees, including one that will explore capitalization of a hockey venue on campus, will be formed for the future plans.

UAF alum Jason Gootee, a former hockey alumni president and current executive at Moda Health will anchor one the groups.

Gootee's passion for UAF and business expertise in private partnerships, including the Moda Center that is home to the NBA's Portland Trailblazers, will be an asset.
      Given the state of Alaska's economy, who is paying for this?
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
        Given the state of Alaska's economy, who is paying for this?
        It sounded like on Fairbank's WebCenter 11 news cite that a separate hockey arena to be built on campus of UAF using private money...

https://www.webcenter11.com/content/...509395511.html

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
          It sounded like on Fairbank's WebCenter 11 news cite that a separate hockey arena to be built on campus of UAF using private money...

https://www.webcenter11.com/content/...509395511.html
          I don't see anything about who is paying for this?? Maybe I missed it.
          Originally Posted by aparch
          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
            I don't see anything about who is paying for this?? Maybe I missed it.
            From what I understand that’s not settled. The plan is to renovate the Patty, not build a new arena. Part of the committee process is to secure funding. UAF has always been willing to look for capital funding in lieu of or in addition to state funds. I’m sure revenue bonds, a capital campaign, and private partnerships will be in the mix. I’m thinking we could re-name it the Dunleavy-Babcook Complex and even get some state funds. Make Alaska-Hockey Great Good Again.

It’s a necessity if UAF wants to keep hockey. The Carlson’s “R-22 based injection Freon system” ice plant has issues and could go down at any time. It’s non-compliant and only grand-fathered through 2022, even if it holds on. Something has to happen. Replacing that ice plant would be in the neighborhood of $12m.

If done right, an on-campus rink would be great, even it if only seats 2,500. Mostly full for regular season games. Sell outs for rivalry or playoff games. And maybe even an active student section. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
              From what I understand that’s not settled. The plan is to renovate the Patty, not build a new arena. Part of the committee process is to secure funding. UAF has always been willing to look for capital funding in lieu of or in addition to state funds. I’m sure revenue bonds, a capital campaign, and private partnerships will be in the mix. I’m thinking we could re-name it the Dunleavy-Babcook Complex and even get some state funds. Make Alaska-Hockey Great Good Again.

It’s a necessity if UAF wants to keep hockey. The Carlson’s “R-22 based injection Freon system” ice plant has issues and could go down at any time. It’s non-compliant and only grand-fathered through 2022, even if it holds on. Something has to happen. Replacing that ice plant would be in the neighborhood of $12m.

If done right, an on-campus rink would be great, even it if only seats 2,500. Mostly full for regular season games. Sell outs for rivalry or playoff games. And maybe even an active student section. We'll see.
              Well hopefully one on campus hockey rink will be in state. Ugh.
              Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Interesting...on today's ADN, it is quoted:

"The Carlson Center’s Freon-based cooling system is aging, and Freon has been banned by the Environmental Protection Agency and is no longer manufactured in the United States. The Carlson Center’s use of Freon has been grandfathered through 2020, according to the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner. As a result, two committees this summer will begin efforts to establish an on-campus hockey arena, White said. Renovating the Patty Center is one of the school’s options; the other is building a new arena."

I would only think a private-public partnership would work here...

https://www.adn.com/sports/uaa-athle...trip-to-maine/

Comment

"The Carlson Center’s Freon-based cooling system is aging, and Freon has been banned by the Environmental Protection Agency and is no longer manufactured in the United States. The Carlson Center’s use of Freon has been grandfathered through 2020, according to the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner. As a result, two committees this summer will begin efforts to establish an on-campus hockey arena, White said. Renovating the Patty Center is one of the school’s options; the other is building a new arena."

Banish ice dogs to anchorage, take over Big Dipper....... case closed.
                  Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                  UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

The thought here is that a new hockey/hoops/spikes facility would be public/private, but I'm not sure how that'll work.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post

If all we get is a remodeled patty center, I think 2,500-2,800 is doable. 1,200 more seats on the other side and a horseshoe with a couple hundred more on the far end. But if they are going to spend the time and money to build a new arena I would say make it in the 3,500 seat range. I don’t like the idea of not having room for growth, especially when there have been recent games with close to 3,000 in attendance. Either way, I am looking forward to watching Nanook hockey for many years to come! Go Nooks!

Comment

Working...
                      X