Calorie Counting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Calorie Counting

I would say from personal experience that short of adopting an exercise program it'll be pretty tough for you to lose substantial weight without using a "fad" diet. I don't use that term in a derogatory sense because they do work, again from personal experience. You can go carb free or go on the Keto diet (similar to the standard carb free), go on the fasting diet, etc..., and you will lose a lot of weight and you can do so relatively quickly (within a year).

The problem is staying on that diet. Most of the time it's too easy to slip off of them because frankly it gets tiring eating nothing but protein all the time or not drinking beer or eating pizza.

My tips to you, again based upon personal experience:

1. Find a diet you where you can at least tolerate the food for 6-9 months.
    2. Try to get someone to do it with you (spouse or co-worker) because it works better when you have support, and misery loves company.
    3. Once you lose the weight, you will have to make major changes to your lifestyle, either in terms of radically adjusting your diet to eat very sensibly or start exercising, or best of all both.

You can try to lose weight by counting calories and simply reducing calorie intake. There are some people for whom that's successful, but I think most of us just give up.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
      I'll offer another shout-out for (mini)fasting. I've heard a couple pop-science podcasts on it, but haven't read the literature. I skip breakfast and pack a lunch (one sandwich, baby carrots, apple, banana, and a pear), which I often don't get to eat until 2 or 3 pm because of my job. That means that 1-2x per week, I go as much as 20 hours without eating. I suspect (but have no proof) that this has multiple benefits:

1) It causes my body to consume fat due to the acute calorie deficit during those periods (direct effect)
      2) It trains my metabolism to get good at consuming fat rather than sugar (secondary effect)
      3) It trains my metabolism to get by on less food (tertiary)
      4) I just flat-out get used to being hungry, so being hungry doesn't bother me that much. I often notice, "oh, interesting - I really feel a little better now that I've eaten, so I guess I was hungry before." After getting used to fasting, being a little hungry is just not a big deal - it doesn't cause me to snack, overeat, etc. (mental)
      THe only thing I can think of against intermittent fasting is that it tends to lead to gorging. When I'm really hungry, I tend to eat faster than my brain can trigger the "Stop! You're full, fatty" feeling. I also tend to eat "fast" things like snacks.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

It's a bit harder to really gorge because your stomach seems to shrink a bit during that period and you get full sooner. Also that's why it's probably better to just get a meal where you know or have a rough estimate of the calories and see how you feel after.

And yeah I just try not to buy snacks, that one is easy to fix.

Comment

From someone who used to weigh 396 (I have photographic evidence of this, what got me to lose weight and keep most of it off (currently sitting at about 220):

1. Coffee/tea/water. But I allow myself to play on weekends, and this means WINE. Instead of using regular Gatorade for my endurance events, I switched over to Nuun effervescent tabs, which are only 10 calories and pack the same punch as Gatorade.

2. Adequate fiber from whole food sources. Yes, Clif bars have 4g fiber per bar, but also 3 types of sugar in the first 5 ingredients. If anything, I use lots of butternut squash, sweet potatoes (8g per 8 oz of potato), Brussels sprouts... I have a recipe for sweet potato and Brussels sprouts hash with ground turkey and dried cranberries you can have.

3. Adequate protein from whole food sources. Eggs in the morning, leftovers from the night before (tomorrow's lunch will be the sweet potato and Brussels sprouts hash), and a lean meat, non starchy veg, starchy veg dinner. Try parsnips for a starch instead of white potatoes.

4. Healthy-ISH carbs. I pretty much quit eating sandwiches and beer after marathons, and switched to an omelette with avocado and whole grain toast after tackling 26.2 another time. Winter squashes are amazing, and there are savory preparations.

5. I do eat some sugar, but it's by my own hand, and so I limit baking, I don't buy ice cream to bring home (gone right away), and I watch for things like added sugar in the processed foods I do buy (I even limit crunchy PB for this reason).

6. And yes, I move. For effective weight loss via exercise, no one said you had to run marathons. I found that strength training or body weight training can be most effective, along with short runs or HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)... short workout ( <30 minutes), but you go all out with the intensity.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
            It's a bit harder to really gorge because your stomach seems to shrink a bit during that period and you get full sooner. Also that's why it's probably better to just get a meal where you know or have a rough estimate of the calories and see how you feel after.

And yeah I just try not to buy snacks, that one is easy to fix.
            I've never really experienced that except with long-term changes. Short-term, your internal organs aren't going to change size drastically unless something like a spleen and liver are crushing it or you wrap a band around it. As you eat less over weeks and months, sure. Then I would certainly buy that the stomach can shrink.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I only have a couple things I would offer. 1. As others have said it’s going to be very tough to make much progress without more activity. 2. I think the key to eating healthier is planning and preparation which obviously takes time and effort. I don’t think it’s willpower as much as being well prepared.

If you do try to get back into tennis the only thing I would say is do not use poly strings. You are asking for arm issues if you do.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                I would say from personal experience that short of adopting an exercise program it'll be pretty tough for you to lose substantial weight without using a "fad" diet. I don't use that term in a derogatory sense because they do work, again from personal experience. You can go carb free or go on the Keto diet (similar to the standard carb free), go on the fasting diet, etc..., and you will lose a lot of weight and you can do so relatively quickly (within a year).

The problem is staying on that diet. Most of the time it's too easy to slip off of them because frankly it gets tiring eating nothing but protein all the time or not drinking beer or eating pizza.

My tips to you, again based upon personal experience:

1. Find a diet you where you can at least tolerate the food for 6-9 months.
                2. Try to get someone to do it with you (spouse or co-worker) because it works better when you have support, and misery loves company.
                3. Once you lose the weight, you will have to make major changes to your lifestyle, either in terms of radically adjusting your diet to eat very sensibly or start exercising, or best of all both.

You can try to lose weight by counting calories and simply reducing calorie intake. There are some people for whom that's successful, but I think most of us just give up.
                Realistically, weight loss isn't a temporary thing, it's a permanent change in behavior.

Whatever one decides to do, it has to stick, and not be a punishment.

(which is why low carb has worked for us- you eat, fill up, and are done. Most carbs, you really don't miss. And at some point, sugar starts to taste pretty bad. So regulating your intake isn't hard)

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  I only have a couple things I would offer. 1. As others have said it’s going to be very tough to make much progress without more activity. 2. I think the key to eating healthier is planning and preparation which obviously takes time and effort. I don’t think it’s willpower as much as being well prepared.
                  First time I have agreed with you 100%. I'm significantly down since Christmas as I've turned over all meal plans to my wife and verify and plan if I'm going to be out on my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

The Plan is to claw back to 199 and then sit there until cancer or something helps a brother out.
                    Disease works wonders on ones weight.
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Disease works wonders on ones weight.
                      Food poisoning can help you drop 10-15 lbs in a few days!
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                        I also do intermittent fasting where I don't eat for a number of hours and just drink coffee in the morning, skip breakfast entirely, and don't eat lunch until 1-2 (depends when I wake up and when I ate dinner the night before).
                        Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                        I'll offer another shout-out for (mini)fasting. I've heard a couple pop-science podcasts on it, but haven't read the literature.
                        Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        THe only thing I can think of against intermittent fasting is that it tends to lead to gorging. When I'm really hungry, I tend to eat faster than my brain can trigger the "Stop! You're full, fatty" feeling. I also tend to eat "fast" things like snacks.
                        I "mini fast" myself and I have read most of the literature on the subject (I was at least up to date within the last year). There is a lot of hype and I think over-extension of the data as it suffers from a common problem of a lot of basic research with minimal or flawed clinical data. However I think at this point there are a few things that can be said:

1. It has reasonable evidence that going 14-18 hours over a 24 hour period with minimal (<100 calories) lowers your A1C (this is the primary reason why I do it)
                        2. It is likely not harmful
                        3. It may reduce total caloric intake in certain settings
                        4. The overall effect on metabolism is complicated and it is probably wise to remain agnostic until better data is presented

As dx mentioned...you have to be careful to not overeat when you do eat. This can negate the potential weight loss effect. I think one strategy that is successful for me is to step away from eating, or eating much slower, in order to let the feedback from your stomach reach your central hunger centers.
                        In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                        I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                          Food poisoning can help you drop 10-15 lbs in a few days!
                          So can a colonoscopy
                          Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

If it weren't for high blood pressure I would consider developing a serious amphetamine addiction. I hear they help you get stuff done around the house.
                            I have often considered cocaine for the same reason. There are a few negative side effects that keep me from experimenting.
                            Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            I think that if you’re not below 200 by Election Day you have to vote for Trump! That should be all the motivation you need.
                            Drew- this is possibly your best post.
                            Also, that is a hell of a motivation.
                            Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            My problem with food tracking apps for calorie counting is that if you do your own cooking, you have to enter each ingredient and hope it's both in the database and has the numbers entered accurately. It drives me insane trying to pick from the different brands, serving sizes, and nutrition counts of eggs, veggies, crackers, bread, etc. My Fitness Pal is particularly terrible at this, and I inevitably quit using it after a couple of days.
                            This has been my experience in the past and why I rarely use them. I haven't found a good substitute, which is irritating.

Hasn't worked with whiskey which has a helluva lot better selling point.
                            If something tastes merely annoying (beer, vegetables, melons) you can learn to enjoy it. But when something tastes like actual sh-t (coffee, whiskey, rye, bourbon, scotch, brandy) there's no hope.
                            Kep - there is no hope for you based on the bolded words
                            Originally posted by WisconsinWildcard View Post
                            I "mini fast" myself and I have read most of the literature on the subject (I was at least up to date within the last year). There is a lot of hype and I think over-extension of the data as it suffers from a common problem of a lot of basic research with minimal or flawed clinical data. However I think at this point there are a few things that can be said:

1. It has reasonable evidence that going 14-18 hours over a 24 hour period with minimal (<100 calories) lowers your A1C (this is the primary reason why I do it)
                            2. It is likely not harmful
                            3. It may reduce total caloric intake in certain settings
                            4. The overall effect on metabolism is complicated and it is probably wise to remain agnostic until better data is presented

As dx mentioned...you have to be careful to not overeat when you do eat. This can negate the potential weight loss effect. I think one strategy that is successful for me is to step away from eating, or eating much slower, in order to let the feedback from your stomach reach your central hunger centers.
                            I have found that alternating one drink of water and one bite of food has helped me eat less over all. It makes meals incredibly slow (compared to previously) - it takes me upwards of 30-45 minutes to eat dinner, but it has become an unconscious habit over the last year after making a conscious effort initially. However, I get to savor the meal more and appreciate what I'm eating, which seems like a good tradeoff.

Kep - I wish I had some sort of magic advice for you. I have been gaining since college (I passed the 200 mark when I was drinking 5-6 Guinness per sitting 3-5 times a week during college and the first 5 years after and didn't look back for another ** amount of pounds). I (mostly) quit drinking - I drink 16 oz of beer once a week most weeks and try to hit the gym 3-4 times a week for 30 minutes of cardio + light weightlifting. I work nights, which is apparently terrible for your health anyway, and gives you an excuse that you're tired when you don't want to go to the gym It's slowed the gain, but I can't really say that I've lost more than 15lbs. I feel a hell of a lot better though.

Comment

I also mini-fast (14-20 hours without anything more than water, maybe a cracker or two or nothing at all) and I have dropped a lot of weight without much exercise at all. If I do "gorge" it's at most 1x per week but I am conscious of it - meaning I allow myself the occasional cheat day but I don't overdo it.

Comment

I think what this thread best illustrates is there is no magic bullet. You need to throw the pot of spaghetti against the wall and see what sticks.

It’s also why weight loss is so hard.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X