Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 460 of 1003

Thread: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

  1. #441

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    38,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    For god's sake, man; I'm the Marxist*!...
    Which brother?

  2. #442

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism
    Posts
    66,343

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Which brother?
    I thought that was obvious. You've never heard me speak.

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  3. #443
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,429

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    For god's sake, man; I'm the Marxist*! I understand the normalization of neoliberal policy under bourgeois compromised "left" parties is the road to plutocratic hegemony.

    But I also know actual fascism, and I can tell a hawk from a handsaw.

    Obviously I want Liz in the White House and the editorial board of Jacobin as her cabinet, at a bare minimum. But I'll settle for not having a lunatic monster and his jackboot jackwagon party there.

    * via Marcuse, not Lenin. Don't get the vapors, boys.
    I think we're in agreement on this but if people are gonna keep spouting this tripe about Dumpy voters deserving everything that happens to them (or those who voted third party or sat out etc.), then we can also be honest about the fact that those who keep voting for terrible candidates solely based on some absurd notion of "electability", are just as much a part of the problem.

  4. #444

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism
    Posts
    66,343

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    I think we're in agreement on this but if people are gonna keep spouting this tripe about Dumpy voters deserving everything that happens to them (or those who voted third party or sat out etc.), then we can also be honest about the fact that those who keep voting for terrible candidates solely based on some absurd notion of "electability", then those idiots are just as much a part of the problem.
    I don't make that jump with you. I think if you voted for Dump you deserve what you get. At some point there has to be accountability.

    With Dubya I'll give people who voted for him in 2000 a break. They were dumb but he hadn't been exposed yet. By 2004, though, those who voted Dubya deserved what they got.

    With Dump there was never any question of what It was or what It was going to do. Anybody who voted for It is fully complicit. The guy has been slowly tweeting his Mein Kampf to us for the last decade. We all knew.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  5. #445

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    38,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I thought that was obvious. You've never heard me speak.

    Guess I can't harp on our differences, eh?

  6. #446

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism
    Posts
    66,343

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Guess I can't harp on our differences, eh?
    Ironically his birth name was "Adolph." Also weirdly he changed it to Arthur in 1911 -- nothing to do with You Know Who.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  7. #447
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    28,886

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    I think we're in agreement on this but if people are gonna keep spouting this tripe about Dumpy voters deserving everything that happens to them (or those who voted third party or sat out etc.), then we can also be honest about the fact that those who keep voting for terrible candidates solely based on some absurd notion of "electability", are just as much a part of the problem.
    If given the choice between Paul Ryan and Donald Trump, I'd enthusiastically take Paul Ryan. He'd **** us economically, but at least he wouldn't be putting us in weekly constitutional crises.

    That's the fundamental scenario you seem to not be getting. ANYTHING is better than Trump.

    Would I prefer a Klobuchar or Warren? Yes, 100% yes.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  8. #448

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism
    Posts
    66,343

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    If given the choice between Paul Ryan and Donald Trump, I'd enthusiastically take Paul Ryan. He'd **** us economically, but at least he wouldn't be putting us in weekly constitutional crises.

    That's the fundamental scenario you seem to not be getting. ANYTHING is better than Trump.

    Would I prefer a Klobuchar or Warren? Yes, 100% yes.
    Exactly so.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  9. #449
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,429

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    That's the fundamental scenario you seem to not be getting. ANYTHING is better than Trump.
    No I fully understand that and have even said I'd vote for the lesser of evils. But realistically that's a stop gap measure from fascism and not a very effective or long term one.

  10. #450
    NPC ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    73,361

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    No I fully understand that and have even said I'd vote for the lesser of evils. But realistically that's a stop gap measure from fascism and not a very effective or long term one.
    Sadly, most Americans do not make this calculation. Trump is beloved by his 35%. If the Dems pick someone with no love attached again they may find themselves in a heap of trouble.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: No Heart

  11. #451
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    28,886

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    No I fully understand that and have even said I'd vote for the lesser of evils. But realistically that's a stop gap measure from fascism and not a very effective or long term one.
    When you sever your femoral artery, you don't worry about what you're going to have for dinner tomorrow.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  12. #452
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom
    Posts
    16,278

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Sadly, most Americans do not make this calculation. Trump is beloved by his 35%. If the Dems pick someone with no love attached again they may find themselves in a heap of trouble.
    They don't make that calculation because its a stupid one. Again, for the umpteenth time. If you don't fully comprehend the danger of 4 more years of the cult in charge, and will only vote Dem if the candidate makes your loins tingle, you get what you deserve. Fascism will come a lot sooner if Trump is re-elected then it will if someone like Biden wins.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  13. #453

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism
    Posts
    66,343

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    and will only vote Dem if the candidate makes your loins tingle
    That's not what he's saying. This is your favorite soapbox, I know, but it's not what he's saying.

    And the fact still stands, Rover, that while you and I and trix and Scoob are going to vote blue no matter who the vast majority of voters are casual consumers, and if you trundle sh-t out to them and it doesn't sell then that isn't the consumers' fault, it's the product.

    The empirical evidence is it doesn't matter how bad things get -- if the Dems serve up a sh-t sandwich like last time we're gonna lose again. That isn't liberals, Rove. Liberals eat sleep and die politics. It's casual voters who don't know what their precinct is and don't know where their polling place is unless we remind them every 15 seconds.

    The Left has never been our problem.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  14. #454
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    5,121
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    When you sever your femoral artery, you don't worry about what you're going to have for dinner tomorrow.
    If you’re a republikkan, you worry about making sure that no poor children are getting a free lunch at school tomorrow

  15. #455
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,429

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    That's not what he's saying. This is your favorite soapbox, I know, but it's not what he's saying.

    And the fact still stands, Rover, that while you and I and trix and Scoob are going to vote blue no matter who the vast majority of voters are casual consumers, and if you trundle sh-t out to them and it doesn't sell then that isn't the consumers' fault, it's the product.

    The empirical evidence is it doesn't matter how bad things get -- if the Dems serve up a sh-t sandwich like last time we're gonna lose again. That isn't liberals, Rove. Liberals eat sleep and die politics. It's casual voters who don't know what their precinct is and don't know where their polling place is unless we remind them every 15 seconds.

    The Left has never been our problem.
    Exactly. The people in this thread who actually care enough to follow politics closely know that "severing your femoral artery" is worse than walking towards oncoming traffic on I-35. But in a lot of states where voting isn't easy and designed to be a huge burden, the average person isn't going to waste their time and energy to vote for the oncoming traffic option. And even if oncoming traffic wins that's still highly problematic.

  16. #456
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    19,484
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    On a scale of 1 (far right loonie) to 100 (left wing progressive loonie) rate the candidates.

    Michael Bennet
    Joe Biden
    Bill de Blasio
    Cory Booker
    Steve Bullock
    Pete Buttigieg
    Julián Castro
    John Delaney
    Tulsi Gabbard
    Kirsten Gillibrand
    Mike Gravel
    Kamala Harris
    John Hickenlooper
    Jay Inslee
    Amy Klobuchar
    Wayne Messam
    Seth Moulton
    Beto O'Rourke
    Tim Ryan
    Bernie Sanders
    Eric Swalwell
    Elizabeth Warren
    Marianne Williamson
    Andrew Yang
    https://youtu.be/AzRAmoKtrZg (start at 1:35).

  17. #457
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom
    Posts
    16,278

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    That's not what he's saying. This is your favorite soapbox, I know, but it's not what he's saying.

    And the fact still stands, Rover, that while you and I and trix and Scoob are going to vote blue no matter who the vast majority of voters are casual consumers, and if you trundle sh-t out to them and it doesn't sell then that isn't the consumers' fault, it's the product.

    The empirical evidence is it doesn't matter how bad things get -- if the Dems serve up a sh-t sandwich like last time we're gonna lose again. That isn't liberals, Rove. Liberals eat sleep and die politics. It's casual voters who don't know what their precinct is and don't know where their polling place is unless we remind them every 15 seconds.

    The Left has never been our problem.
    THEN LET THEM GET FUKED!!!! I'm not sure how this hasn't been crystal clear from my postings from the past couple of eons, but I'll say it again. Chump and his cult isn't affecting me any. If you (collectively, not you personally) can't see what the GOP is made out of, then its YOUR problem when they take away your healthcare and give it to billionaires in the form of tax cuts. If fundies start taking away your freedoms, oh well. They aren't running my state, so they aren't my problem either.

    In short, I have zero desire to help people who refuse to help themselves. Helping themselves is defined as bothering enough to figure out where to vote and who to vote for based on the vast divide between where the two parties stand. You and trix act too much like the tired old canard is true about there's not a dimes worth of difference between the two parties, trotted out by con-men like George Wallace and Ralph Nader. I can't speak to their stances 50 years ago but in the here and now if you can't see the difference you're a fuking idiot. The stakes are too high for "It's casual voters who don't know what their precinct is and don't know where their polling place is unless we remind them every 15 seconds". They can either smarten up or get screwed. Now do you get my angle here?
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  18. #458
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,429

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Rover: People vote for fascism, they deserve what they get
    Trix: if people vote for delayed fascism do they deserve what they get?
    Rover: wHy WoULd yOu vOtE fOr fAsCiSm now!?!?

  19. #459
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom
    Posts
    16,278

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Rover: People vote for fascism, they deserve what they get
    Trix: if people vote for delayed fascism do they deserve what they get?
    Rover: wHy WoULd yOu vOtE fOr fAsCiSm now!?!?
    Gotta be an idiot if you think voting for Biden leads to delayed fascism, but can't say I'm surprised at your crackpot theory.

    You're starting to make Kepler look sane.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  20. #460
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,429

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Yeah it's not like we can't look at other countries like France or the countless historical examples of similar candidates leading to that outcome

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •