X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Obama was an exception, and he was wildly popular. Obama channeled the sort of idealism and intelligence we need. He wasn't able to enact meaningful policy because the GOP has turned into a terrorist organization over the last 25 years, but at least he had the right intentions.

It does say something that leftism has been successfully kept from power by the Plutes for nearly 50 years. Obviously they had all the enormous advantages that wealth, fear, and the general stupidity of the populace can afford, but that's a long enough run that we should recognize that smart policy will probably always be a long shot in this country.
    Obama was great. But they effectively neutered him. Even Obamacare was neutered and that was passed with Senate and House Control. The Democrats have never been able to neuter a Republican. They still can't even with the House.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

You do realize that with this Senate Hillary's nominees would never have been seated, right?
      I do.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

You do realize that with this Senate Hillary's nominees would never have been seated, right?
        Then the court would have a 4-3 liberal majority, no?
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
          Then they get what they deserve.
          I'm already on record saying we need to cut them loose. The white working class is not our friend and it will never be. Send the lifeguards to the people who won't try to kill them when they show up. Let the "rugged individualists" live without the government aid they despise so much. Saving terrorists is no longer on my To Do list.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Mitch's bankrollers would have told him no federal judgeships, period.

And that will of course happen from now on whenever there is a GOP Senate. Forever. Republicans are no longer Americans. They have made that clear.

The only way anything positive happens in this country, ever again, is clean sweep Dem rule. At all other times it will be what we have right now, because that's what benefits the .01% the most.
            Clean sweep includes either elimination of the filibuster or a filibuster proof majority.

Comment

Then the court would have a 4-3 liberal majority, no?
              It would still be 4-4. Kennedy wouldn't have been able to cut his deal.

And yes of course either situation is far preferable to what we have now.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                Clean sweep includes either elimination of the filibuster or a filibuster proof majority.
                I'd get rid of the Senate completely, but, sure, baby steps.
                Cornell University

Comment

Obama channeled the sort of idealism and intelligence we need...
                  "hmmm, this is good water! can i get a glass of water?"

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

It does say something that leftism has been successfully kept from power by the Plutes for nearly 50 years. Obviously they had all the enormous advantages that wealth, fear, and the general stupidity of the populace can afford, but that's a long enough run that we should recognize that smart policy will probably always be a long shot in this country.
                    You spend too much time IMHO looking at the last 50 years as one continuous era.

Goopers had their initial heyday from like 1980 on, much like their counterparts in the UK, because the post war generation of whiny narcissists became the dominant voting block. Disaster ensued, with both Reagan-Bush and Thatcher winning big 3 straight times. Those were dark days.

That run of power ended with two similar lefties - Clinton and Blair, who started a New Left movement that incorporated some conservative elements as needed since it was still vital to peel off some righty Boomer voters and combine them with the upcoming more liberal Gen X'ers. It was beyond important for the left in both of these countries that these individuals came along when they did and won and were then re-elected. Tax hikes for the rich, gun control, and health care expansion were all passed into law at this time.

Post Clinton/Blair, the right became radicalized while the left become indifferent. USA conservatives essentially became loons, white supremacists and authoritarians. We started to see coup attempts (impeachment), voter suppression laws not seen since the 1960's, and after the remaining WWII vets left the scene, a group that collectively put party over country. In the meantime too many lefties wallowed in their disappointment of not seeing an immediate return to the 60's. But, knucks couldn't completely overcome demographic change. So what you have now is a stalemate. When the left decides to engage (2006, 2008, 2018) they win big. When they sit out, the radicalized right takes over because they ALWAYS turn out.

Look at the #'s. Presidential elections since 1992 (the last big realignment) has seen 4 Dems win vs 3 GOP. But, the Senate has been 12 D to 16 R (going out through 2020 elections). House has been 8 D to 20 R. The lesson here is the left isn't showing up regularly for mid term elections where the House and Senate are won. Part of this are horrific decisions like turfing Howard Dean and his 50 state strategy, or refusing to answer the plutes when they started throwing huge money into downballot races. But part of it is that the Dems are not a cult unlike their counterparts. Until everybody to the left of Chump and the cult realizes that the worst Dem is better than the best Republican and starts voting Dem accordingly I'd expect that stalemate to continue for the foreseeable future. Republicans aren't doing anything that good old fashioned voting can't overcome, even their playing kiss @ ss with Putin and the Russian intelligence services.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

You spend too much time IMHO looking at the last 50 years as one continuous era.

Goopers had their initial heyday from like 1980 on, much like their counterparts in the UK, because the post war generation of whiny narcissists became the dominant voting block. Disaster ensued, with both Reagan-Bush and Thatcher winning big 3 straight times. Those were dark days.

That run of power ended with two similar lefties - Clinton and Blair, who started a New Left movement that incorporated some conservative elements as needed since it was still vital to peel off some righty Boomer voters and combine them with the upcoming more liberal Gen X'ers. It was beyond important for the left in both of these countries that these individuals came along when they did and won and were then re-elected. Tax hikes for the rich, gun control, and health care expansion were all passed into law at this time.

Post Clinton/Blair, the right became radicalized while the left become indifferent. USA conservatives essentially became loons, white supremacists and authoritarians. We started to see coup attempts (impeachment), voter suppression laws not seen since the 1960's, and after the remaining WWII vets left the scene, a group that collectively put party over country. In the meantime too many lefties wallowed in their disappointment of not seeing an immediate return to the 60's. But, knucks couldn't completely overcome demographic change. So what you have now is a stalemate. When the left decides to engage (2006, 2008, 2018) they win big. When they sit out, the radicalized right takes over because they ALWAYS turn out.

Look at the #'s. Presidential elections since 1992 (the last big realignment) has seen 4 Dems win vs 3 GOP. But, the Senate has been 12 D to 16 R (going out through 2020 elections). House has been 8 D to 20 R. The lesson here is the left isn't showing up regularly for mid term elections where the House and Senate are won. Part of this are horrific decisions like turfing Howard Dean and his 50 state strategy, or refusing to answer the plutes when they started throwing huge money into downballot races. But part of it is that the Dems are not a cult unlike their counterparts. Until everybody to the left of Chump and the cult realizes that the worst Dem is better than the best Republican and starts voting Dem accordingly I'd expect that stalemate to continue for the foreseeable future. Republicans aren't doing anything that good old fashioned voting can't overcome, even their playing kiss @ ss with Putin and the Russian intelligence services.
                      I agree with most of this but it can comfortably co-exist with my contentions.
                      Cornell University

Comment

I agree with most of this but it can comfortably co-exist with my contentions.
                        Me too.

Comment

Sic, yeah. mookie is just tweaking everybody's nose. I've probably read 500 political posts from mookie and I haven't the slightest idea where he really stands on anything, except that he has some sort of 2000-year view where this too shall pass, which connotes if not conservatism then at least the privilege to wait things out in the comfort of the status quo. People under threat are not non-commital.
                          I think mookie is a Wall Street Dem. Be gay and have abortions, but don't tax me bro!

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            I think mookie is a Wall Street Dem. Be gay and have abortions, but don't tax me bro!
                            You're thinking of Rover.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                              Pretty sure he also thinks women are toys. Alabama is probably paradise for him
                              bama too humid. (still waiting to read your paper. mookie is certainly qualified to give a good critique )

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

fade at least knows mookie's salary (recall mookie wants income <200k tax free, start the 40% marginal bracket at 200k+ then tax assets under the 3% wealth)

Comment

Working...
                                X