Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 1003

Thread: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

  1. #401
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    117,653

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    He is if the question is "who has no business being the candidate"

    What's funny is when people were talking about Biden in 2016 I said this is what it would be like. The guy is a gaffe machine.
    WE NEED TO GET RID OF OLD RICH WHITE GUYS IN THE WHITE HOUSE/POLITICS!

    Biden: hi, guys!

    Populace: Oh, you're so in.


    Um...............
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  2. #402
    I never meant to make you cry
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Just got in from way up North
    Posts
    2,720

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    What do the GOP do out of caring? I will hang up and listen...

    But I'm sure wanting healthy educated people is bad. Both sides being the same and all.
    Since you've hung up and should be in power saving mode, you may want to disconnect your phone charger and plug it into your sarcasm detector. It appears to be in need of recharging
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Groucho Marx
    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
    Ron White
    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
    Milo Bloom

  3. #403

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    64,464

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by busterman62 View Post
    Since you've hung up and should be in power saving mode, you may want to disconnect your phone charger and plug it into your sarcasm detector. It appears to be in need of recharging
    Well, humorless me got it, anyway.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  4. #404
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    28,278

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    WE NEED TO GET RID OF OLD RICH WHITE GUYS IN THE WHITE HOUSE/POLITICS!

    Biden: hi, guys!

    Populace: Oh, you're so in.

    Um...............
    I think you’re confusing two very different wings of the Democratic Party.

  5. #405

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    64,464

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I think you’re confusing two very different wings of the Democratic Party.
    The interesting thing is Rover, who is a solid representative of the moderate wing, does not seem to be enamored of Biden either.

    I think all the Dems may have finally realized that "stay the course" just isn't viable anymore.

    The other moderates (Booker, Gillibrand, Buttigieg, O'Rourke) should be thankful to Joe since compared to him they look young, exciting, and radical now. :-)

    As this develops I am becoming more and more convinced that Harris may be our best bet. She's midway between the two wings; she has the demographics to appeal to both and she won't have to take extreme identity positions because she's already the goods. She's a "safe" enough choice and she's incredibly accomplished, and she comes off really well and she does not suffer fools gladly. And her presence is going to drive The Usual Suspects insane and make them even more offensive.

    And the odds are pretty good she hasn't molested anybody.
    Last edited by Kepler; 05-17-2019 at 06:54 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  6. #406
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Newburyport, MA
    Posts
    6,175

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Keep in mind in many states you can register as an independent, vote for Weld in the Republican primary, then if you please vote for the democrat in the general.

    What’s better than 2 opportunities to vote against trump.

  7. #407

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    64,464

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by ericredaxe View Post
    Keep in mind in many states you can register as an independent, vote for Weld in the Republican primary, then if you please vote for the democrat in the general.

    What’s better than 2 opportunities to vote against trump.
    It would be great to see a groundswell for Weld but do you see him out there on the campaign trail every day fulminating against Dump? Bill's heart isn't in it. This seems like he's just positioning himself to say I Told You So after Dump kills Ivanka and himself in the Mar-e-Lago bunker.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  8. #408

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    37,824

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Are there any winner take all primaries left?

    If the field doesn't winnow, we could have the fun of a brokered convention with the nomination speeches taking a full day.

  9. #409
    Yep, still here
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    28,741

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Democratic primaries are all proportional. Classic DNC stupidity.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites


    Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

  10. #410

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    64,464

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
    Democratic primaries are all proportional. Classic DNC stupidity.
    In what way stupid? It's democratic. Sure, it doesn't artificially magnify a lead and that likely extends the primaries, but on balance the virtues outweigh the political inconvenience.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  11. #411
    Yep, still here
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    28,741

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    In what way stupid? It's democratic. Sure, it doesn't artificially magnify a lead and that likely extends the primaries, but on balance the virtues outweigh the political inconvenience.
    The last two dragged out for months past when it was effectively over and it'll be a massive cluster**** next fall when a contested convention embitters the losers to stay home in November.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites


    Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

  12. #412

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    64,464

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
    The last two dragged out for months past when it was effectively over and it'll be a massive cluster**** next fall when a contested convention embitters the losers to stay home in November.
    Obama turned out fine.

    For that matter, Dump took forever and that turned out fine. Well, for them. Well, for him. Maybe.

    Hillary's problem wasn't that it took a long time to wrap it up. It was that she wrapped it up.

    The cure for the ills of democracy is more democracy. What we should do is randomize the primaries and tighten the schedule. Get it all over in 8 weeks, have 6 or 7 primaries a week, have the voting be all week long.

    Or, I'll tell you what. If you really want a heavy winner advantage, use IRV to narrow to say the top three: win place, and show, and divide the delegates proportionately.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  13. #413
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    42,416

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
    Democratic primaries are all proportional. Classic DNC stupidity.
    no wonder they can't play the game for the EC
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  14. #414

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    64,464

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    no wonder they can't play the game for the EC
    They can't play the game for the EC because cows get as many EV as NYC and LA.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  15. #415
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    42,416

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    They can't play the game for the EC because cows get as many EV as NYC and LA.
    hyperbowl
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  16. #416

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    64,464

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    hyperbowl
    I believe the approved word is "hysterical."
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

  17. #417
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    42,416

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I believe the approved word is "hysterical."
    only familiar with schilling mangling the first offer
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  18. #418
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom
    Posts
    16,137

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Dem primary system is what the rank and file demand. Start doing a winner take all and watch the fur fly when someone wins California by 5 votes but is entitled to ALL of its delegates. I like the recent reforms starting with getting rid of caucuses for primaries which is the best way to boost participation. Yeah yeah the whole Iowa and NH go first thing is annoying but as long as those two remain swing states nobody is going to PO its voters over that.

    Regarding Biden, he's had far, far more staying power thus far than I thought he would. But, you'd be a fool to dismiss his chances. He's got two big things going for him: 1) Nobody has staked a claim to non-white voters yet (looking at you Harris or O'Rourke) while he's wearing the Obama mantle with them at this point. That could end up being decisive. 2) Don't dismiss a "Return to Normalcy" sentiment amongst the electorate either.

    My personal view on Uncle Joe is this. I don't worry about him in a debate after he ate media darling Weasel Paul Ryan alive in 2012. He's not nearly as progressive as my choice Lizzy Warren, but I don't picture him vetoing progressive legislation either. If a Dem congress puts tax hikes for the rich and expanded Medicare on his desk, he'll sign it. The hurdle to get any of these things passed into law would never be a Joe Biden Presidency. It'll be convincing the Dems sitting in marginal seats (Tester, Manchin, etc).
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  19. #419
    War Mongering Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    40,356

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by busterman62 View Post
    Since you've hung up and should be in power saving mode, you may want to disconnect your phone charger and plug it into your sarcasm detector. It appears to be in need of recharging
    Ah gotcha. My bad
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  20. #420
    War Mongering Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    40,356

    Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Dem primary system is what the rank and file demand. Start doing a winner take all and watch the fur fly when someone wins California by 5 votes but is entitled to ALL of its delegates. I like the recent reforms starting with getting rid of caucuses for primaries which is the best way to boost participation. Yeah yeah the whole Iowa and NH go first thing is annoying but as long as those two remain swing states nobody is going to PO its voters over that.

    Regarding Biden, he's had far, far more staying power thus far than I thought he would. But, you'd be a fool to dismiss his chances. He's got two big things going for him: 1) Nobody has staked a claim to non-white voters yet (looking at you Harris or O'Rourke) while he's wearing the Obama mantle with them at this point. That could end up being decisive. 2) Don't dismiss a "Return to Normalcy" sentiment amongst the electorate either.

    My personal view on Uncle Joe is this. I don't worry about him in a debate after he ate media darling Weasel Paul Ryan alive in 2012. He's not nearly as progressive as my choice Lizzy Warren, but I don't picture him vetoing progressive legislation either. If a Dem congress puts tax hikes for the rich and expanded Medicare on his desk, he'll sign it. The hurdle to get any of these things passed into law would never be a Joe Biden Presidency. It'll be convincing the Dems sitting in marginal seats (Tester, Manchin, etc).
    The problem is I dont think Biden inspires people to vote for him. I dont see him getting a groundswell of support nor do I see him taking up positions that will inspire anyone. He is an old White Guy running on Obama's name.

    If he wins he has my vote...but I would rather at least half the field win over him.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •