X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Democrat Challengers Part II: There Can Be Only One

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    If instead of saying, "rich" he had instead stated, "the greater concentration of total income and state income taxes paid?" would it change the narrative?
    Maybe. I think it still blatantly ignores the indirect value of the roads. Those roads enable billions of dollars in commerce the cities and rural communities benefit from. Well, that and all of our food originates from rural roads, so there’s that.

It’s a stupid argument. It’s a symbiotic relationship. The cities wouldn’t exist without the rural communities. The rural communities wouldn’t exist without the cities. This might not have been true 100-200 years ago but it is now.

Edit: and if it’s a “the rural communities get subsidized so shut up” counter to “the cities get all the benefits” it’s an even dumber argument to make. It’s the equivalent of “neener neener” and ignores reality. A better argument would be to convince the rural communities that we all benefit AND get to live the lifestyle we choose. That’s pretty nice.
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 05-07-2019, 08:58 AM.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Agree with each of your responses.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        If instead of saying, "rich" he had instead stated, "the greater concentration of total income and state income taxes paid?" would it change the narrative?
        You mean would we stop pointing out how wrong he is ? Yes. That actually is closer to what his map was saying. He didnt, because that isnt what he was saying.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          The cities wouldn’t exist without the rural communities.
          This is true to a point. If a rural community exists because it is clustered around needs for other communities then yes. But many rural communities are vestigial: they existed for a purpose once but then that dried up (a mine was exhausted, a factory closed, climate change or industrial pollution destroyed the local resource) but people did not move to where the new jobs were. That community is now being subsidized by everybody else. It's retired.

This could happen with cities, too, of course. Less likely, because by definition cities tend to be built on a broader base and so don't become obsolete as easily. Cities also generate non-extractive and non-manufacturing purposes: finance, education, government. But it could still happen that a city is retired and thus subsidized.
          Last edited by Kepler; 05-07-2019, 10:15 AM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            You mean would we stop pointing out how wrong he is ? Yes. That actually is closer to what his map was saying. He didnt, because that isnt what he was saying.
            I know that isn't what he was saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              This is true to a point. If a rural community exists because it is clustered around needs for other communities then yes. But many rural communities are vestigial: they existed for a purpose once but then that dried up (a mine was exhausted, a factory closed, climate change or industrial pollution destroyed the local resource) but people did not move to where the new jobs were. That community is now being subsidized by everybody else. It's retired.

This could happen with cities, too, of course. Less likely, because by definition cities tend to be built on a broader base and so don't become obsolete as easily. Cities also generate non-extractive and non-manufacturing purposes: finance, education, government. But it could still happen that a city is retired and thus subsidized.
              You might be right. But I think those communities would die off at time equals infinity. I'm extrapolating to that point. You're picking an semi-arbitrary point in time. Those communities are dying, it just takes time. So yes, they are being subsidized and I have little problem with that. Similar to the way we "subsidize" the elderly with Social Security. Those vestigial communities shouldn't just be cast off on an ice floe.

And again, as t-->∞, those communities revert to a size and purpose that better fits the population distribution and needs.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Mookie would bet long game, it turns rural rather than urban.... the last human will be on a farm
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  You might be right. But I think those communities would die off at time equals infinity. I'm extrapolating to that point. You're picking an semi-arbitrary point in time. Those communities are dying, it just takes time. So yes, they are being subsidized and I have little problem with that. Similar to the way we "subsidize" the elderly with Social Security. Those vestigial communities shouldn't just be cast off on an ice floe.

And again, as t-->∞, those communities revert to a size and purpose that better fits the population distribution and needs.
                  I wasn't advancing a Social Darwinist theory that we should just let obsolete rural communities die off. I'm not a conservative.

Certainly over time conditions cause people to move. That's what caused the great emigration from Europe to the US, and someday it may cause a great emigration from the US to somewhere better. Places with old institutions become inefficient at serving their populations' needs as rich parasites leech more and more wealth away from the community into their personal fortunes. As the US becomes an "Old World" it will no longer be worth living in and the mass population will begin to move on again.

Populations follow opportunity. The marriage of opportunity and people creates wealth. The concentration of wealth stifles opportunity. This is the eternal economic dance.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    Mookie would bet long game, it turns rural rather than urban.... the last human will be on a farm
                    The last human will be a scavenger
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

The last human will be an AI-cyberhuman holdout.
                      Cornell University

Comment

When asked for comment CNN and the NYTimes said "pbbbt...argle bargle Hillary Clinton"

The lack of appeal among African American candidates is now a significant problem for Sanders and for other progressives such as Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg. (The latest Quinnipiac poll found, “Biden had the support of 42 percent of nonwhite respondents, more than 30 points ahead of his nearest rival, Warren. Sanders, who struggled with nonwhite voters during his 2016 campaign, had only 7 percent support.”)
                        Don't tell trix that
                        Last edited by Handyman; 05-07-2019, 02:57 PM.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

All these candidates are wasting their time in Iowa right now. The nomination runs through the South where there's no candidate from that region except for O'Rourke. Elizabeth Warren needs to be devoting her attention down there. She should already be well known in NH so no need to kill yourself in that state right now. But, she needs to make inroads in SC, FL, GA and grab some local endorsements.

No matter who you're backing (Sanders, Warren, Buttigieg, etc) you CANNOT let Uncle Joe run the table on Super Tuesday from VA to TX by riding his connections with Obama. If he does that after picking off one of the 1st 3 states (NH, IA, NV) its going to be real tough to stop that train.
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                            All these candidates are wasting their time in Iowa right now. The nomination runs through the South where there's no candidate from that region except for O'Rourke. Elizabeth Warren needs to be devoting her attention down there. She should already be well known in NH so no need to kill yourself in that state right now. But, she needs to make inroads in SC, FL, GA and grab some local endorsements.

No matter who you're backing (Sanders, Warren, Buttigieg, etc) you CANNOT let Uncle Joe run the table on Super Tuesday from VA to TX by riding his connections with Obama. If he does that after picking off one of the 1st 3 states (NH, IA, NV) its going to be real tough to stop that train.
                            I remember a Rover who made confident assertions about the election in 2016.

I like you, man, but you don't know a thing about it. Go out and fundraise or canvas or something. Nobody's hiring you as a strategist.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post

LOL

You get your *** kicked by Joe in Iowa and it's over before Super Tuesday even happens.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

lmfao

Comment

Working...
                                X