Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sunyac

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Is the nuclear reactor still there, too?
    What do you think powers the ice cream plant?
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

I'd agree with the comment following this post that it happens with every conference in any sport at any division - There will always be bottom dwellers.

But I'd say while it was a Plattsburgh/Oswego-dominated conference throughout the 00's, Geneseo started making it a three-horse race around 2014 once they made the FF. (Plattsburgh has dipped recently after their remarkable title run in 16-17 but we'll see how they transition under a new coach, they're only 26-24-3 in the last two years)

I'd say the culture around these programs is the most important. Plattsburgh and Oswego have had historic programs for decades, and (Being an Oswego alum) when talking to the players they always mentioned the history and the attendance. Most of these kids in juniors don't even know about these schools or couldn't even point them out on a map, but when they see the history on a recruiting trip and see 2,500+ fans in a small town come out to a hockey game, they get sold on it.

Buffalo State made some noise for a small stretch when they had DeLavergne in net, and Fredonia made a nice run in 17-18 to the SUNYAC championship, but i can't imagine how tough it is to get a program to completely turn around.

Originally posted by Keith-Stone View Post
      Not trying to throw hate at any individual team in asking this. But I’m just genuinely curious why the SUNYAC, while a strong and competitive conference, pretty much ends the same every season. Geneseo, Oswego, and Plattsburgh battle it out for the top 3 spots, while Fredonia Brockport, and Buffalo seem to be in a second tier, followed by Potsdam, Cortland, and Morrisville in the lower third tier, with Cortland and Morrisville routinely missing playoffs. Why can’t Potsdam break through to be a top tier program with their new rink? Why does Geneseo do so much better than Cortland or Brockport when they basically have the exact same rinks to show recruits? Is it recruiting? Coaching? Facilities? Geographic location? History? School reputation? I would love any input here. My cousin played at Fredonia in the early 2000’s and said that the tiered system I mentioned earlier was pretty much the same 20 years ago. What keeps these teams from improving? Again, I love the SUNYAC conference. Just curious about the programs. Also, why not let Canton in as an affiliate member? I think they will soon pass Morrisville and Cortland in terms of team strength. They also have a beautiful new facility. They can’t be independent forever.

Comment

Originally posted by BKrosky View Post
        I'd agree with the comment following this post that it happens with every conference in any sport at any division - There will always be bottom dwellers.

But I'd say while it was a Plattsburgh/Oswego-dominated conference throughout the 00's, Geneseo started making it a three-horse race around 2014 once they made the FF. (Plattsburgh has dipped recently after their remarkable title run in 16-17 but we'll see how they transition under a new coach, they're only 26-24-3 in the last two years)

I'd say the culture around these programs is the most important. Plattsburgh and Oswego have had historic programs for decades, and (Being an Oswego alum) when talking to the players they always mentioned the history and the attendance. Most of these kids in juniors don't even know about these schools or couldn't even point them out on a map, but when they see the history on a recruiting trip and see 2,500+ fans in a small town come out to a hockey game, they get sold on it.

Buffalo State made some noise for a small stretch when they had DeLavergne in net, and Fredonia made a nice run in 17-18 to the SUNYAC championship, but i can't imagine how tough it is to get a program to completely turn around.
        Geneseo also had back to back SUNYAC titles in 2004 and 2005 or 2005 and 2006 I believe. Ever since Schultz has taken over, he’s really elevated the Geneseo program from usually the 3rd or so place team in the conference to a SUNYAC title contender every year and right in the national picture every year since 2014 like you said.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          Geneseo also had back to back SUNYAC titles in 2004 and 2005 or 2005 and 2006 I believe. Ever since Schultz has taken over, he’s really elevated the Geneseo program from usually the 3rd or so place team in the conference to a SUNYAC title contender every year and right in the national picture every year since 2014 like you said.
          Coach Schultz deserves all the credit in the world for creating a winning culture and tradition for Geneseo hockey. He has to be considered in the top tier of coaches for Division III hockey nationally.

I am too far from Geneseo these days to know what's going on there -- following hockey is about the only way I relate to my alma mater these days -- but something has changed in the past few years. If you look at the SUNYAC Commissioner's Cup history, it was won by Cortland every year until 2014, and since then Geneseo has won it every year. So there has been an increased commitment to athletics across the department. Geneseo is now also near the top of the rankings for Division III across all sports nationally, which is much different than a decade ago when I attended.

http://www.sunyacsports.com/awards-c...ners-cup/index
          #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
            Coach Schultz deserves all the credit in the world for creating a winning culture and tradition for Geneseo hockey. He has to be considered in the top tier of coaches for Division III hockey nationally.

I am too far from Geneseo these days to know what's going on there -- following hockey is about the only way I relate to my alma mater these days -- but something has changed in the past few years. If you look at the SUNYAC Commissioner's Cup history, it was won by Cortland every year until 2014, and since then Geneseo has won it every year. So there has been an increased commitment to athletics across the department. Geneseo is now also near the top of the rankings for Division III across all sports nationally, which is much different than a decade ago when I attended.

http://www.sunyacsports.com/awards-c...ners-cup/index
            Geneseo has ALWAYS had a very strong running program. They have greatly benefited from Cortland falling back a bit in running and it helps sweeping men's and women's XC, men's and women's indoor, as well as men's and women's outdoor track every year. That's 30 points for both men and women and dominant start to the Commissioners cup.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Agree with all of this - Geneseo is arguably the most well-rounded SUNYAC school in the conference. Along with academics, they're dominant in so many sports

- Women's Tennis has won like a ridiculous amount of titles in the last decade
              - XC programs for both teams are almost always nationally ranked
              - Dominant at Swim and Dive if i recall too
              - Women's Soccer has been elite recently
              - Men's hockey obviously
              - Basketball hasn't really won anything but has been competitive
              - Women's Basketball is arguably the best in the conference over the past handful of years
              - Softball is a great program too

All of this is just off memory from working at Oswego Ath Comm department and remember them being at the top in nearly everything. While Cortland is historically in certain sports like baseball/lacrosse, they also are really poor at some sports. I'd argue Geneseo is the overall the best athletic department in the conference.

Geneseo has ALWAYS had a very strong running program. They have greatly benefited from Cortland falling back a bit in running and it helps sweeping men's and women's XC, men's and women's indoor, as well as men's and women's outdoor track every year. That's 30 points for both men and women and dominant start to the Commissioners cup.

Comment

Geneseo has also always had a very strong swimming program for both genders.
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                  Geneseo has also always had a very strong swimming program for both genders.
                  ...Always is right...back, back, back, back to 1973 - 77...it was a great road trip - not sure what the female/male ratio is now, but back then it was 75-25...I never took the bus back to Oz - there were plenty of "fans" who would gladly drive some of us back the next day...
                  LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

I know funding, facilities, and all that has been mentioned has a lot to do with a programs success. I have been following AIC’s rise at the D1 Level very closely over the last three years and I just don’t understand how if a great new head coach comes in and can turn things around at a D2 school that is smaller both campus and student body wise than all the schools in the SUNYAC why a school with actual on campus facilities like Cortland, Potsdam, and Morrisville have can’t turn things around. Yes, AIC has scholarships to toss around but their budget is similar to that of high end D3 programs and they just beat the #1 team in the country in the NCAA’s. I feel like it comes down to a coach just overall hustling and being able to recruit the right type of players for their program. At the end of the day, players want to play for a coach they respect and want to feel valued. Is it the coaches that aren’t drawing the right kids? There HAS to be a reason for perpetual basement dwelling in this league. The same can be said for all the other leagues as well, I’m just a New Yorker so I chose to talk about SUNYAC. Finally, let CANTON in! They offer a ton of 4 year programs. They have a storied history in the NJCAA. They have the facilities and a great young coach who gets his players to play. Let them in!

Comment

Originally posted by Keith-Stone View Post
                      I have been following AIC’s rise at the D1 Level very closely over the last three years and I just don’t understand how if a great new head coach comes in and can turn things around at a D2 school that is smaller both campus and student body wise than all the schools in the SUNYAC why a school with actual on campus facilities like Cortland, Potsdam, and Morrisville have can’t turn things around. Yes, AIC has scholarships to toss around but their budget is similar to that of high end D3 programs and they just beat the #1 team in the country in the NCAA’s. I feel like it comes down to a coach just overall hustling and being able to recruit the right type of players for their program. At the end of the day, players want to play for a coach they respect and want to feel valued. Is it the coaches that aren’t drawing the right kids? There HAS to be a reason for perpetual basement dwelling in this league.
                      It's Division III athletics. Many schools care more that they have a coach who is a good role model and mentor for young men and women as they do about winning. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as D3 is supposed to prioritize the needs of the student athlete over money and high-level competition. Also, at many programs the coach is also responsible for running the program administration and hockey rink and facilities so you want somebody who is reliable and steady in the position. If you have somebody like that it's not a surprise most schools don't want to cut them loose chasing something new.
                      #OneKnight

Comment

And Geneseo has won it's 5th consecutive Commissioner's Cup
                        http://www.sunyacsports.com/general/...20190508gfzcsu
                        #OneKnight

Comment

https://www.sunyacsports.com/general...20190508gfzcsu
                          They're lucky they're not in the MIAC

Comment

Can SUNYAC posters give the reasons Canton, a SUNY school has not been in the D3 hockey league. In addition Canton has a good D3 team.
                            2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                            2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
                              Can SUNYAC posters give the reasons Canton, a SUNY school has not been in the D3 hockey league. In addition Canton has a good D3 team.
                              Word is the college presidents who voted against them joining did so because they felt that Canton did not fit the academic profile of the existing SUNYAC members.

Comment

http://www.sunyacsports.com/general/...20190508gfzcsu

Geneseo
                                Cortland
                                New Paltz
                                Brockport
                                Oneonta
                                Oswego
                                Plattsburgh
                                Fredonia
                                Buffalo State
                                Potsdam

Comment

Working...