NCAA Regionals Must be on campus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Regionals Must be on campus

Congrats to the cities, arenas and host for your selection as sites for the 2020 & 2021 regionals

Could not agree more with the great story by Ben Feree: https://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports...d56bf5226.html

Since we we were able to successfully expand the men's D-I tournament from 12 to 16 teams, I have been campaigning for years that the NCAA Regionals MUST be at the sites of the highest four seeds. They have earned the right to host after playing 30+ games

I agree with Ben that the regionals should be played at the site of the highest seeds. More Fans, More $$$, Great Atmosphere and only one three teams travel, meaning less expenses! There were tons of empty seats in the MHOK and MBBall early rounds and it looks terrible on TV. Also it is not fair to the fans who buy season tickets at the #1 seeds, only to have the most important game(s) of the year be hundreds of miles away. I would think we should get ESPN to chime in on this too, as they did the best job they could hiding all the empty seats.

And maybe (just maybe) we could use this additional revenue to invest in adding even more teams to the NCAA tournament

* #1 Seeds have earned the right to host after 30+ games
    * Most all NCAA sports (Except MBB) have high seeds host regionals.
    * Pro Sports - Only the Super Bowl is NOT at Highest seed
    * Not fair to #1 Seeds to be on neutral ice
    * Less Expenses (only three teams (not 4) travel)
    * More Fans, Bands, Cheer, Ice Dancers
    * More Revenue
    * Better Atmposhere
    * Better for Season Ticket Holders of #1 Seed
    * Better for TV
    * Promote need to upgrade and/or replace older facilities on college ice hockey campuses

Re: NCAA Regionals Must be on campus

Just to be sure, there would be 4 regionals at the campus rinks of the top 4 seeds? And they'd be single elimination (3 games).

All for it. But travel costs probably be higher.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

How do we know that every arena is capable of hosting 4 teams? And all these multi purpose facilities will keep that weekend available? Plus you would have very short notice for those schools who are hosting. While this will probably never happen, let's say one of the Alaska schools has a miraculous season (hey look at UMass)...they are going to host a regional? I don't think on campus sites is a bad idea. I just think it's more complicated than a lot of people think.

Comment

If you can't host it moves on to the next seed. That's the school's problem to figure out.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          How do we know that every arena is capable of hosting 4 teams? And all these multi purpose facilities will keep that weekend available? Plus you would have very short notice for those schools who are hosting. While this will probably never happen, let's say one of the Alaska schools has a miraculous season (hey look at UMass)...they are going to host a regional? I don't think on campus sites is a bad idea. I just think it's more complicated than a lot of people think.
          UMass has other events in their arena too like Harlem Globetrotters, Disney, Pup Patrol, etc that might have the building booked
          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by Jack McDonald View Post
            Congrats to the cities, arenas and host for your selection as sites for the 2020 & 2021 regionals

Could not agree more with the great story by Ben Feree: https://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports...d56bf5226.html

Since we we were able to successfully expand the men's D-I tournament from 12 to 16 teams, I have been campaigning for years that the NCAA Regionals MUST be at the sites of the highest four seeds. They have earned the right to host after playing 30+ games

I agree with Ben that the regionals should be played at the site of the highest seeds. More Fans, More $$$, Great Atmosphere and only one three teams travel, meaning less expenses! There were tons of empty seats in the MHOK and MBBall early rounds and it looks terrible on TV. Also it is not fair to the fans who buy season tickets at the #1 seeds, only to have the most important game(s) of the year be hundreds of miles away. I would think we should get ESPN to chime in on this too, as they did the best job they could hiding all the empty seats.

And maybe (just maybe) we could use this additional revenue to invest in adding even more teams to the NCAA tournament

* More Revenue
            * Better Atmposhere
            * Better for TV
            * Promote need to upgrade and/or replace older facilities on college ice hockey campuses
            So have you read any of the posts here over the last five years? I thought we pretty much established that
            1) the facilities are unlikely to be able to host these events on short notice
            2) not all campus sites can accommodate this event
            3) hockey isn't like "most" sports.
            4) all the other arguments that have been presented here ad nauseum...

EDIT: Well, obviously not as it says "Posts: 1"
            Last edited by chickod; 04-22-2019, 12:41 PM.

Comment

* More Revenue
              * Better Atmposhere
              * Better for TV
              Do you now have to make every team in the country make certain to have available arena dates? Minnesota State had a concert booked for Regionals weekend this year. Many teams play in municipal arenas, where concerts are booked 6 months to a year in advance. If you have to block out 3 dates and pay for them, that’s a pretty expensive risk a school has to take.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                Do you now have to make every team in the country make certain to have available arena dates? Minnesota State had a concert booked for Regionals weekend this year. Many teams play in municipal arenas, where concerts are booked 6 months to a year in advance. If you have to block out 3 dates and pay for them, that’s a pretty expensive risk a school has to take.
                It'd be funny if this ever came to fruition, and the NCAA still demanded their $150k minimum take.

Another wrinkle to this concept is TV -- we all love that the regionals are on ESPN networks/streaming...that Saturday is one of the best college hockey days of the year. As-is, ESPN knows where they're going well ahead of time, has scouted the locations, assigned teams of commentators, etc. They'd surely balk at the expense of not knowing where they'll be going, not to mention the potential broadcast nightmares associated with many of the rinks in college hockey. Imagine having a national broadcast out of some of the AHC/community barns? Yikes.

r

Comment

This is making me think the only way we see on campus again is if the NCAA/coaches relent and start accepting bids for Yost, Kohl Center, the Ralph etc

Back in the early 90s when on campus sites were used, I am wondering if those arenas were more readily available to remain open for a regional weekend and didn't have other commitments booked like newer multi purpose facilities do now. Also, if you still want to use the PWR to determine who hosts...was that done back then? Or was it a committee determining who would host based on merit and also based on the ability to host? Were there situations where teams hosted by default? Where perhaps a more deserving team should have hosted but couldn't?

Comment

Sign me up! Can’t wait to see how terrible the Mullins Center Ice looks in the third period of the regional championship.
                    #NewMass

Comment

In the long run, the current system is better on many levels.

It’s been working just fine in the East. If they allow campus rinks to host, they’ll work fine in the West.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Taking one by one....

If a person thinks there is a 'right' to host, this makes sense. However, the #1 seeds don't host the conference tournaments (most, anyway), which lends some credence to the idea there is no 'right' to host in the post season.

Aside from the 'hockey is not at all like most sports' angle, we can say this: Those sports who have high seeds host do not have 5000+ person crowds at the games and/or meets. The ones who do are MBB and WBB (sometimes). MBB uses neutral sites for ONE reason: In basketball, that size of a crowd creates energy for the home team, and the advantage is too much. There is an argument to be made that hockey is similar in that regard. The advantage of crowd seems to negate the "other sports do it this way" argument.

Those are pro sports, in which the teams either own or lease their own arenas/stadia and have complete control over said buildings.

There is no reason it isn't fair. "Not fair" would be forcing them to play on away ice. If the #1s are on neutral ice, they should have the advantage. They are the #1 seed, and supposedly the better team, after all.

Incorrect. Under the current plan, the average is that something like 8 teams out of 16 fly. In this case, depending on bracketing rules (separate post coming) it would be possible that 11 would have to fly. Merely giving the top seeds home ice does not fix this. Especially when the following are potential home cities (note that they are far from large airports): Houghton, Marquette and Sault-Ste-Marie, Michigan; Orono, Maine, (Wherever UNH plays their home games), Bemidji. That's just a start, and you get the idea. The visitors would have to first fly, and then potentially drive a few hours.

NCAA rules would prohibit most of these no matter where the games were played.

* More Revenue
                        Not sure about more revenue. The regionals now average 5000 - 6000 fans. Most home sites in NCAA hockey can't match that. And, if the entire regional is on campus, and the host loses in the first round, it's likely going to be an empty barn on day 2.

* Better Atmposhere
                        Only if the home team wins game one, and it's fairly good sized arena.

No complaints here.

* Better for TV
                        Not if the games are in a small rink. For example, what if Clarkson hosts? I like the small schools, but can that arena really support the kind of media necessary?

It still takes money, and merely having a chance to host a region isn't going to magically create money.

Comment

Potential Brackets:

The question is, of course, what are the rules?

If the rules are:
                          A) We just go by the serpentine bracket, and make minor adjustments to avoid intraconference games, then it ends up looking different than
                          B) We make the 4 seed bands, but give the committee great liberty in making the bracket.

This year's field:
                          SCSU, UMD, Mankato, Mass
                          Clark, NE, QU, Denver
                          OSU, ASU, Corn, NoDame
                          Harv, Prov, BGSU, AIC

By A): SCSU v AIC; Den v OSU :: UMD v BGSU; QU v ASU :: Mankato v Prov; NE v Cornell :: UMass v Harv; Clark v NoDame
                          This bracket has 10 flights.
                          by B): It completely ends up the same because everyone has to fly to Minneapolis except the UMass region.
                          By Current rules: Only 8 or 9 flights. So, there is no travel savings.

Let's try it again:
                          2018:
                          SCSU, NoDame, Cornell, OSU
                          Den, Mankato, Prov, Mich
                          NE, Clark, Penn St, UMD
                          BU, Prince, MTU, AFA

A): SCSU v AFA; Mich v NE :: NoDame v MTU; Prov v Clark :: Cornell v BU; Mankato v UMD :: OSU v Princeton; Den v Penn St
                          Everyone is flying except the hosts (save BU and maybe PennSt).
                          B): SCSU v AFA; Mankato v UMD :: NoDame v MTU; Mich v NE :: Cornell v BU; Prov v Clark :: OSU v Prince; Den v Penn St
                          Better: AFA, MTU, NE, Prince, Den and PennSt? are the only ones flying
                          Current rules:
                          The committee's bracket had 6 flights.

So, you are not gaining much on average on flights or transportation.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post

Especially when the following are potential home cities (note that they are far from large airports): Houghton, Marquette and Sault-Ste-Marie, Michigan; Orono, Maine, (Wherever UNH plays their home games), Bemidji. That's just a start, and you get the idea. The visitors would have to first fly, and then potentially drive a few hours.
                            This argument is wrong, because the NCAA charters all flights in the tournament. There are commercial airports within 20 miles of each of these sites mentioned where those flights would land.

Comment

The fact that the vast majority of home rinks can’t even hold enough fans to match an underwhelming regional in the current format is all one really needs to know.

Yes, the ones that can hold larger crowds would be awesome, but they are the exception, not the rule. And until the blue bloods start dominating again, that will continue to be an exception.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                              X