NCAA Regionals Must be on campus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Regionals Must be on campus

The NCAA needs to rethink every single thing they are doing as far as the NCAA hockey tournament is concerned.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Would it be to far fetched to have 2 permanent sites with 2 arenas in each area? Example have the East Regional day 1 in Worcester and Northeast Regional Day 1 in Providence. Then day 2 have both games at one of the 2 sites. It limits where you can do this but if the Detroit area or Minneapolis areas could work, try in for a 3 year period and see what happens.

Comment

Trusting that Ed asked about many of the issues raised in this forum, seems to me that Metcalf isn't nearly as concerned about the issues as we are, or he simply isn't letting on that he's concerned.

I get he's going to put a best foot forward (ie Loveland optimism) but doesn't address attendance, lack of bids, concerns about the bid/price structure, etc...
        St. Norbert College Green Knights
        NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
        NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
        NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
        ---
        SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
          Would it be to far fetched to have 2 permanent sites with 2 arenas in each area? Example have the East Regional day 1 in Worcester and Northeast Regional Day 1 in Providence. Then day 2 have both games at one of the 2 sites. It limits where you can do this but if the Detroit area or Minneapolis areas could work, try in for a 3 year period and see what happens.
          Having 2 teams pack up and travel for day 2 doesn’t seem like a good idea.
          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
            Having 2 teams pack up and travel for day 2 doesn’t seem like a good idea.
            ECAC does it every weekend. This would be same hotel, different rink. If they lose they pack up and go home. No big deal.

Comment

ECAC does it every weekend. This would be same hotel, different rink. If they lose they pack up and go home. No big deal.
              You’re not going to find 2 rinks in the same market to host. They’re having enough trouble finding four rinks in the whole country, much less two quailed facilities. There are very few markets that would have 2 facilities available at the same time.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
                Trusting that Ed asked about many of the issues raised in this forum, seems to me that Metcalf isn't nearly as concerned about the issues as we are, or he simply isn't letting on that he's concerned.

I get he's going to put a best foot forward (ie Loveland optimism) but doesn't address attendance, lack of bids, concerns about the bid/price structure, etc...
                We talked about quite a bit more than I had room for in the article. Attendance is mentioned briefly. They were not concerned as this year was about the average of the last several, though not having North Dakota in Fargo lowered attendance even though tickets were sold out. I did ask about what particular requirements might be limiting bids, but that was a question that he wasn't able to really answer because the reasons may differ from location to location.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                  Glad you mentioned this. I was going to mention this last week. It's been fairly effective in getting the job done too, although I guess we'd have to poll the media folks that have dealt with the temporary press staging in some of the stands to be sure.
                  For writers, not as big an issue. It's very difficult for radio to move out into the stands. US Bank Arena did this in Cincinnati, and it was probably one of the worst setups any of those four stations had to deal with all season. Power is a problem, so are the sight lines, and there's almost no way to get scoring information outside of the wonky WiFi. I also remember the Pepsi Arena in Albany having issues with this back in the day. But just because you're not out in the stands doesn't make it necessarily better - Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids was substandard at best, for example. I also seem to remember that Bridgeport was sketchy too.

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
                    The *host* RECEIVES the lesser of budgeted or actual expenses -- so the NCAA pays for expenses.
                    No, the NCAA does not pay for expenses. The host must cover them out of the revenue over $150,000 and if the actual expenses are over the budget then they lose that amount and have to try and cover them from their 20% of the profit. The host assumed 100% of the risk for at most 20% of any profit.

As stated in previous posts, “Why host?”

Sean
                    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                    BU Hockey highlights and extras
                    NCAA Hockey Financials
                    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                      I also remember the Pepsi Arena in Albany having issues with this back in the day.
                      Both times I broadcast from Albany, we were set up on the front row of the balcony. In 2010, we were in the regular arena seats. In 2016, we had a table.

Comment

From the article, and I am sorry I don't know how to do the quoting properly:

"Finally, the specifications require a financial guarantee to the NCAA of $150,000. After all receipts from the regional have been determined and the NCAA has received its guarantee, the host receives the lesser amount of budgeted or actual expenses. Any remaining receipts above that amount are split 80% to the NCAA and 20% to the host institutions or conferences."

I read this to say that:
                        #1 - NCAA gets, 150K guaranteed
                        #2 - From what is left at that point, the host get its expenses covered (Note to hosts: budget high because if there are cost overruns they are NOT covered by this piece)
                        #3 - If there is anything left at all, it's split 80/20

This is why we call it the NC$$.

That's horrible. Just horrible. In order to bid, the host has to be sure that they will make more than 150K profit. But they also need to rent the place for 3 days (because the NCAA wants access a day ahead), and pay for all the labor to re-do all the signage. As well as the comfort level guarantees....

Think about that. For an event with an average of 15000 tickets sold, the prices have to be high enough that the host will make 150K profit. PROFIT. And, then, and only then, do they begin to actually make anything for themselves.

Yuck!!!

Comment

Isn't the point of a "regional" to have the teams "housed" there for the entire weekend? Why would you want to travel in between games?

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post

This is why we call it the NC$$.

That's horrible. Just horrible. In order to bid, the host has to be sure that they will make more than 150K profit. But they also need to rent the place for 3 days (because the NCAA wants access a day ahead), and pay for all the labor to re-do all the signage. As well as the comfort level guarantees....

Think about that. For an event with an average of 15000 tickets sold, the prices have to be high enough that the host will make 150K profit. PROFIT. And, then, and only then, do they begin to actually make anything for themselves.

Yuck!!!
                            But if you budget too high you won't win because someone else (especially in the east) will have a better bid. You really do need an army of volunteers to make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              Isn't the point of a "regional" to have the teams "housed" there for the entire weekend? Why would you want to travel in between games?
                              The point is to have people show up and if you would have 2 games at the same spot instead of 1 at 2 different arenas you should be able to cut costs and increase attendance. The venues would need to be fairly close. Within a 30-40 mile radius. Not ideal but trying to look at different options.

Comment

What if we extrapolate the NCAA requirements to the other ideas thrown out here?

1- 3 weekend system. In this case, the 8 host schools from weekend 1 would have to reserve hotel rooms, pay for change of signage in their home arenas, grant NCAA access for 2 days (not one), and guarantee the NCAA 50K before even their own expenses were taken care of. What we actually need here is a good estimate of what it would actually cost to host. I think most schools would end up losing on this one. Then, if you have weekend #2 be 2 games at a regional site, the host site has to reserve the arena for 2 days, pay all the costs, etc, and guarantee the NCAA again 50K. I happen to think this is a better dear for the hosts. But the first weekend kills the idea, really.

2- Top 4 seeds host the region. Aside from all the pragmatic issues we have discussed here before - like media space, hotel rooms, etc.... - you still would have something like the NCAA demanding their cut.

What this really means is: As long as arenas and schools continue to bid to host under the current system, it won't change. There is no other system which guarantees the NCAA a 150K per site profit on the regionals. Add the whole business together, and I would be sure that the NCAA profits 1M on just the regionals.

Comment

Working...
                                X