Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

Congratulations to the World Cup champion Boston Red Sox!
    according to the White House

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      what is the distinction between North Texas and Madison?
      Ownership. North Texas is owned and operated by FC Dallas, Madison has a different ownership.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        The FA Cup has qualifying rounds too ya know.

Any registered club in the US can enter and go through the qualifying process.

Edit: the FA Cup has only 32 non-League clubs in the proper tournament. Only 736 teams entered.
        But that's what I was asking: can any US team, in theory, start winning and never stop and win the tourny, at least to the same degree that it is possible in the UK?
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The 8 Local Qualifier spots included the 2018 National Amateur Champion (Milwaukee) and 7 local qualifiers from four regions including 94 teams.
          This is the level I am concerned with -- those 94 teams. What criteria do they meet that the x thousand other local teams in the country do not? If that criteria is itself a pyramid, where the 94 have in turn each won qualifying tournaments in which dozens of other teams competed, then we're getting somewhere.

If not, a pool of about 300 teams under consideration is still neat (it's basically March Madness). It's just not an "Open."
          Last edited by Kepler; 05-10-2019, 06:25 AM.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            This is the level I am concerned with -- those 94 teams. What criteria do they meet that the x thousand other local teams in the country do not? If that criteria is itself a pyramid, where the 94 have in turn each won qualifying tournaments in which dozens of other teams competed, then we're getting somewhere.

If not, a pool of about 300 teams under consideration is still neat (it's basically March Madness). It's just not an "Open."
            Well, let's remember that England is half the size of California. The biggest impediment is the fact that we're not a soccer rich country and the costs of travel are not nothing. I'm pretty sure any team that competes at a certain level can enter qualification if they want.

There 11-16 teams in each regional for the Local Qualifiers. I don't know how those groups are determined and what whoever manages the LQs would do if 17 teams from one region wanted to qualify. I also have no idea how big the NAC is which AQs it's champion to the the Open Cup...
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

It's just not an "Open."
              It certainly can be an open without being a thousand teams. I understand that maybe you don't like that it doesn't include more amateur teams but I see no restriction that if you and a group of friends want to play in qualifying you can, granted you appear to need to be part of an amateur league at a certain level based on this comment on wikipedia, "Naples United FC 2 was disqualified, because the club was not affiliated with the U.S. Specialty Sports Association by the deadline for local amateur sides to participate in sanctioned league competition."
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I understand that maybe you don't like that it doesn't include more amateur teams
                That's not my quibble. It could include 1 amateur team, or even zero, and I'd be fine with it as long as anybody can get on the conveyor belt at some early point, maybe even wrapping around well into previous years, and get their chance to win out.

If there is no restriction then I have no beef. I completely understand why the formal portion of the tournament at the tail end, when they are down to x powers of 2, is dominated by set aside slots. That makes sense for TPTB to protect and market their various levels of the sport. IINM the FA Cup does the same thing.

I would also have no problem with a deep, deep tourny (10+ rounds) where the early rounds are all geographically limited to cut down on travel times. Again, IINM the FA Cup does this too, since the very bottom of their pyramid (level, what, 6?) is divided regionally.
                Cornell University

Comment

That's not my quibble. It could include 1 amateur team, or even zero, and I'd be fine with it as long as anybody can get on the conveyor belt at some early point, maybe even wrapping around well into previous years, and get their chance to win out.

If there is no restriction then I have no beef. I completely understand why the formal portion of the tournament at the tail end, when they are down to x powers of 2, is dominated by set aside slots. That makes sense for TPTB to protect and market their various levels of the sport. IINM the FA Cup does the same thing.

I would also have no problem with a deep, deep tourny (10+ rounds) where the early rounds are all geographically limited to cut down on travel times. Again, IINM the FA Cup does this too, since the very bottom of their pyramid (level, what, 6?) is divided regionally.
                  I’m not sure what you’re failing to comprehend? Yes, any amateur team can theoretically advance all the way provided they are properly registered with the USSF. That’s the whole point of the Local Qualifier system.

As for regionalization, it is a regionalized tournament. In fact the only non-regional game is the final.

Kep, on a somewhat personal note, try to do some basic research before commenting next time. This is all information that can be gotten in 5 minutes with Google and Wikipedia. I have respect for you and all but, you’re smarter than this.
                  I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Europa League final is also all England.
                    Chelsea vs Arsenal.
                    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Kep, on a somewhat personal note, try to do some basic research before commenting next time. This is all information that can be gotten in 5 minutes with Google and Wikipedia. I have respect for you and all but, you’re smarter than this.
                      I tried to find the answer myself first. It was not at all clear from my google searches that any team can start from scratch and move all the way through without being blessed by some type of prior qualification. It was in fact not at all clear to people speaking on behalf of the system for quite some time. Let's not pretend it was a simple answer.

The amount of defensiveness here whenever anyone has the temerity to question any aspect of the US soccer system as possibly a shade less than Divinely Inspired is highly telling. That is not how confident people act.
                      Cornell University

Comment

What is wrong with Kepler asking questions of knowledge matter experts?

Can't we converse instead of seeing or telling someone to fund it own their own??
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I tried to find the answer myself first. It was not at all clear from my google searches that any team can start from scratch and move all the way through without being blessed by some type of prior qualification. It was in fact not at all clear to people speaking on behalf of the system for quite some time. Let's not pretend it was a simple answer.
                          It is a simple answer and Shirtless and I were pretty clear on that.

The amount of defensiveness here whenever anyone has the temerity to question any aspect of the US soccer system as possibly a shade less than Divinely Inspired is highly telling. That is not how confident people act.
                          It’s not defensiveness, it’s fatigue from stupidity.

I’ve watched soccer and have followed US Soccer since I was child in the early 90’s. I’ve watched MLS since the beginning in 96, being so excited that there were finally professional teams in this country I could watch. Why? Because I can remember when these things didn’t exist. I also remember the nervousness every winter wondering if the league was gonna restart that spring, something that realistically didn’t go away until around 2008.

I also remember reading online when every idiot came around clamoring for Pro/Rel or an August-May schedule because “that’s how they do it in Europe!” You’re not a genius bringing new ideas. It’s all be said before and the answer remains the same: there’s not enough money or popularity or stability.

Is it a perfect system? Absolutely not, I’d love to see changes made as much as the next person. But, this system has been the longest lasting and most sustainable system in US Soccer history. At 24 seasons.

I get it, it would be awesome if the US Open Cup was this 1000+ team tournament, but there is barely even 100 viable teams in this country. It may well get there one day as professional soccer starts to achieve stability at all levels instead of just one.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            What is wrong with Kepler asking questions of knowledge matter experts?

Can't we converse instead of seeing or telling someone to fund it own their own??
                            I'm actually perfectly OK with "let me Google that for you" barbs, but I don't think this was that case considering I *did* google it first.

I've also said obnoxious things about MLS to Jim in the past so he gets easily triggered when I mention US soccer. It's his incipient terror that Portland may be lurking someplace and about to take his team to the woodshed.

Which will next be happening in about (checks rosters) 2022...
                            Cornell University

Comment

I've also said obnoxious things about MLS to Jim in the past so he gets easily triggered when I mention US soccer.
                              This is not wrong.

(MLS and US Soccer being the thing I am most passionate about)

It's his incipient terror that Portland may be lurking someplace and about to take his team to the woodshed.
                              This is wrong.

Which will next be happening in about (checks rosters) 2022...
                              This could wrong or not wrong.
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

It is a simple answer and Shirtless and I were pretty clear on that.
                                No, you weren't. You may have thought you were, but I could've shown it to my wife and it would've been gibberish to her.

The simple answer was "yes, a team can form and win 20-something straight games and win the US Open Cup."

What you said was there are regional qualifiers, with no explanation for how those are determined or if, in theory, anyone could win one ala Dodgeball.
                                Last edited by unofan; 05-10-2019, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X