Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

And ticap, for the record:
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      And ticap, for the record:
      lol so the WNT says US Soccer sets ticket prices lower for women's games than men's, their response is that it's true women's games generate less revenue, and you think that proves your point?

Comment

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
        lol so the WNT says US Soccer sets ticket prices lower for women's games than men's, their response is that it's true women's games generate less revenue, and you think that proves your point?
        Which would then beg the question, would the women draw as much as the men at the higher price?

(FTR...I have no idea)
        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
        Originally posted by Quizmire
        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
          Which would then beg the question, would the women draw as much as the men at the higher price?

(FTR...I have no idea)
          I have no idea, either, but salary/bonuses should be based on revenue earned, regardless of gender. See also: women's hockey or WNBA.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post

(FTR...I have no idea)
            I don't either. Anecdotally a couple years ago we bought $45 tickets to a WNT friendly and ended up being out of town, sold them for $200 each. So I'd say they could raise the ticket prices, but probably depends on game location too.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
              I have no idea, either, but salary/bonuses should be based on revenue earned, regardless of gender. See also: women's hockey or WNBA.
              not sure mookie would use "should", as that is a code word which can be twisted... but rube is right. the pay comes out of the pot. if one wants more pay, generate more revenue. just on its face, mookie can't see tv revenue being equal for men and women for the wc. if it is however, let's cut the check
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post

(FTR...I have no idea)
                According to the 2018 numbers the WNT was drawing around 10k less on average.

WNT 2018
                MNT 2018

I will say this. One of the biggest beliefs among the WNT players and the WoSo community, and where these lawsuits and “Equal Pay!” come from, is that the Men are cashing in on the Women’s success and the USSF is constantly screwing them out of “their” money. Most famously was after 99 and MLS offered to help run a WMLS with the players, the players basically told them to f- off, you’re not leeching off of us and founded WUSA. Of course WUSA folded in 2003 while MLS contracted in 2001 but expanded in 2004.

The reality of all this? It’s everything in the US leeches off of Mexico. That’s why there’s a friendly every year against them. That’s why most of sponsors are with US Soccer. That’s why Mexico plays all their friendlies in the US. That’s why Liga MX is the most watched league in the US. Everything starts with Mexico.
                I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post

:facepalm:

I would like to congratulate Mexico and Canada on their wonderful joint hosting effort of the 2026 World Cup.
                  What do they mean by equal pay? From NT participation or all in all? imho league salaries should not factor into it at all especially since revenues from the men's league dwarfs that of the women, and many of the men are not being paid via MLS but from European leauges.

What was the average income per player from NT activities in 2018 for both? How about average NT income from NT appearances? Not sure I've ever seen this publicized.

[edit] This is likely a factor in their consternation.

During World Cup Years, the Max Earnings for the USMNT Is Estimated at $1.1 Million While It Is $200,000 for the USWNT
                  The Guardian conducted a study on the pay discrepancies between the men’s and women’s U.S. teams. With a World Cup win, the max earnings for a USWNT player is $200,000, while a USMNT player could earn $1.1 million with a title. The USWNT would also get a four-game victory tour which means players would earn an additional $60,869, per The Guardian.

The massive difference in World Cup pay is somewhat tied to the disparity in FIFA purses. France earned $38 million for winning the 2018 World Cup, while the USA received $4 million for their 2019 win. This number is double the $2 million the USWNT earned after their 2015 World Cup title.
                  Ok but that's a FIFA "problem" not a UNST problem and again I imagine total revenues from the men's WC is immensely higher than for the women's. So tough ***ties if you will.
                  Last edited by Slap Shot; 07-10-2019, 02:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                    Because FIFA pays the players directly, or because FIFA is US Soccer's sole source of income?
                    Because FIFA sets the payouts for world cup competitions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      What do they mean by equal pay? From NT participation or all in all? imho league salaries should not factor into it at all especially since revenues from the men's league dwarfs that of the women, and many of the men are not being paid via MLS but from European leauges.

What was the average income per player from NT activities in 2018 for both? How about average NT income from NT appearances? Not sure I've ever seen this publicized.

[edit] This is likely a factor in their consternation.

Ok but that's a FIFA "problem" not a UNST problem and again I imagine total revenues from the men's WC is immensely higher than for the women's. So tough ***ties if you will.
                      The biggest thing is we don’t really know what people mean by “equal pay” since none of the people talking about it have said any specifics.

The only thing we really have in the players lawsuit against the USSF for sex discrimination. Here’s a breakdown but it’s an article from The Athletic:
                      https://theathletic.com/864905/2019/...ual-treatment/

The way I read it is the players want their cake and to eat it too, i.e. they want their yearly salary (plus benefits and guaranteed roster slot and guaranteed NWSL salary) AND the same bonus amounts as the men.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        Because FIFA sets the payouts for world cup competitions.
                        In fairness to this, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that FIFA should increase the payout amounts to a level closer to the Men’s tournament despite the revenue differences as FIFA can afford it.

Now, as to how that money is spent is a different debate (with people like me who believe that money should go toward the NWSL and professional development).
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                          In fairness to this, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that FIFA should increase the payout amounts to a level closer to the Men’s tournament despite the revenue differences as FIFA can afford it.

Now, as to how that money is spent is a different debate (with people like me who believe that money should go toward the NWSL and professional development).
                          Evidently they will be increasing payouts for the next World Cup, as well as expanding it. I’m not sure if expanding is the best answer, as North Korea was the only team that really felt left out. Idk if adding three more UEFA, Mexico, and the other confederations will help, but I suppose exposure can’t be a bad thing.

I also saw that if women were paid in ratio to men’s ratings, the US should have won around 110 million rather than 30 million. FIFA estimates 1 billion viewers compared to 3.6 billion for the men.
                          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                            Right. But the people to ***** to about that is FIFA, not US Soccer. Blaming US Soccer for not giving the women higher World Cup payouts is going after the wrong entity.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              Right. But the people to ***** to about that is FIFA, not US Soccer. Blaming US Soccer for not giving the women higher World Cup payouts is going after the wrong entity.
                              There's some logic to this. Bear with me.

1. Most obviously this is empty political posturing so it doesn't matter if it's effective. It's designed to goose some cynical pol's chick cred.

2. In a situation in which you have no leverage over the entity that actually sets the rates (FIFA) but you do have some leverage over a connecting entity (USA Soccer), go ahead and make life unpleasant for the latter. That incentifies them to try to do something. Boycott WalMart to get China to relax child slavery.

But, mostly, 1.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I think the simple answer is to go to a structure where they each get similar pay/bonuses/per diems etc with the National Team but USSF gives each NWSL team so much money towards their player salary budget. That way the players are paid similarly for their NT team but USSF is still helping to keep NWSL from going under and investing in that league so it can grow.
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X