Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    In the abstract? Yes. In reality? No. The VAR and referees see what FIFA tells them to see.

It’s also not a foul, it’s an infringement. Fouls require the ball to be in play and be against an opponent. #referee
    But thats the problem, why get technical on the goalie in that situation but ignore the other 20 players when it seems like on every PK 4 or 5 people are infringing on something...right? If you can't score a pk, its on you, unless the goal just charges straight out before you kick it, its a stupid call.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Maybe FIFA would only enforce infringement if there is a miss and the infringing player scores or clears the rebound?
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        But thats the problem, why get technical on the goalie in that situation but ignore the other 20 players when it seems like on every PK 4 or 5 people are infringing on something...right? If you can't score a pk, its on you, unless the goal just charges straight out before you kick it, its a stupid call.
        You’re not wrong, I agree with you, it’s a really trivial thing to harp on. I suspect it’s become a thing because it’s also a caution to the GK and FIFA does not want these cautions missed.

On the other hand, we may see VAR intervene on encroachment on PKs in the near future as well. VAR is still kind of a work in progress right now.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          Maybe FIFA would only enforce infringement if there is a miss and the infringing player scores or clears the rebound?
          That’s likely since that’s one of few instances where encroachment would actually be called by referees.
          I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            I didn't see the kick in question , but I 100% agree. Scurry was the worst offender I've seen and that was what? 20 years ago? I would have called her for dam near every one of her attempts. But she was basically at the top of the goal area when the ball was kicked. That's what they should be calling. I'm 100% with shirtless here. If the AR can't call it realtime at that level, it's not worth it.

I once got called for leaving my line too early in a farking co-rec league after making a save (btw, I didn't leave early). Refs just need to shut the **** up sometimes and call things in the spirit of the game. If they wanted to make that call it needs to be a point of emphasis at the beginning of the tournament or FIFA needs to make it very clear they're going start calling infringements at the top of the penalty area.

I say this as a former soccer ref.
            Last edited by dxmnkd316; 06-17-2019, 04:11 PM.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              I didn't see the kick in question , but I 100% agree. Scurry was the worst offender I've seen and that was what? 20 years ago? I would have called her for dam near every one of her attempts. But she was basically at the top of the goal area when the ball was kicked. That's what they should be calling. I'm 100% with shirtless here. If the AR can't call it realtime at that level, it's not worth it.

I once got called for leaving my line too early in a farking co-rec league after making a save (btw, I didn't leave early). Refs just need to shut the **** up sometimes and call things in the spirit of the game. If they wanted to make that call it needs to be a point of emphasis at the beginning of the tournament or FIFA needs to make it very clear they're going start calling infringements at the top of the penalty area.

I say this as a former soccer ref.
              Isn't coming forward one of the few ways a keeper can increase their coverage on a kick though? I mean, it's still a guess on their part (left or right), but coming forward improves their angle and coverage area. At an elite level, a few inches can make a difference between a save and a goal that is untouched...
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                Isn't coming forward one of the few ways a keeper can increase their coverage on a kick though? I mean, it's still a guess on their part (left or right), but coming forward improves their angle and coverage area. At an elite level, a few inches can make a difference between a save and a goal that is untouched...
                Yeah, I get that. But if it's an inch or two, that's hardly within the spirit of the game. I don't think that's going to make a difference. But I have no idea the math behind it other than what my gut tells me after 25 years of playing goalie, albeit at the lowest levels of the game.

Ah to hell with it. I'll just draw it.

You're still talking 12 yards minus call it six inches. The goal is 8 yards wide. So assume the player kicks the ball at the perfect angle to pass an angstrom inside the post. A full 6" off the line and the keeper gets an extra 2" of coverage. Is that a lot? I don't know. But at an inch or two off the line, you're under half an inch of extra coverage. I'm not going to worry about that.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Yeah, I get that. But if it's an inch or two, that's hardly within the spirit of the game. I don't think that's going to make a difference. But I have no idea the math behind it other than what my gut tells me after 25 years of playing goalie, albeit at the lowest levels of the game.

You're still talking 12 yards minus call it six inches. The goal is 8 yards wide. So assume the player kicks the ball at the perfect angle to pass an angstrom inside the post. A full 6" off the line and the keeper gets an extra 2" of coverage. Is that a lot? I don't know. But at an inch or two off the line, you're under half an inch of extra coverage. I'm not going to worry about that.
                  The thing you’ve gotta remember is you are now legally able to have one foot off the line, they just changed this for the new laws. So the old “spirit” of giving the GK a yard or so is effectively legislated in now.
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

The thing you’ve gotta remember is you are now legally able to have one foot off the line, they just changed this for the new laws. So the old “spirit” of giving the GK a yard or so is effectively legislated in now.
                    Hmm... So is this like basketball pivoting? As long as you keep at least one foot touching the line you can do anything you want with the other foot? But the instant that second foot comes off it's a card and a rekick?

Call me crazy but this is basically the tuck rule for soccer. We're creating such technically complex rules that legislate things providing no meaningful advantage that we have to arbitrate everything down to the nanometer and picosecond. It's not for the better either. I guess you could probably make an argument about the objectivity of the rule and all of this is probably bathed in bias since I'm a keeper.

Whatever. I need to go find some clouds to yell at or something.
                    Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Hmm... So is this like basketball pivoting? As long as you keep at least one foot touching the line you can do anything you want with the other foot? But the instant that second foot comes off it's a card and a rekick?

Call me crazy but this is basically the tuck rule for soccer. We're creating such technically complex rules that legislate things providing no meaningful advantage that we have to arbitrate everything down to the nanometer and picosecond. It's not for the better either. I guess you could probably make an argument about the objectivity of the rule and all of this is probably bathed in bias since I'm a keeper.

Whatever. I need to go find some clouds to yell at or something.
                      You don’t even have to have the foot on the line, just “in line with”:
                      When the ball is kicked, the defending goalkeeper must have at least part of one foot touching, or in line with, the goal line.
                      I agree with discussion I’ve seen on various referee forums, that goalkeepers will adjust by the fall and this will be largely a non-issue. A good goalkeeper coach and a camera setup can have a goalkeeper adjusting to leap off but leave their trailing foot in the air and on the line.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

I thought the argument was if the supposedly offending player had no impact on the play whatsoever-and most importantly did not influence the goalie to move out of position because they felt they had to defend them - then let it go.

If a player is offside but never touches the ball and didn't influence a defender who cares?

*I did not see the play in question.

Comment

The USWNT out-earned the USMNT over the last three years.

Proposal: Pay players on both teams the same base salary with bonuses based on performance in the World Cup. Maybe that will motivate the men's team to actually qualify next time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            The USWNT out-earned the USMNT over the last three years.

Proposal: Pay players on both teams the same base salary with bonuses based on performance in the World Cup. Maybe that will motivate the men's team to actually qualify next time.

There’s an unequal system for bonuses because the WNT get paid a yearly salary. The MNT only get paid when they play.

But let’s not let facts get in the way...
                            Last edited by Jimjamesak; 06-17-2019, 08:39 PM.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

There’s an unequal system for bonuses because the WNT get paid a yearly salary. The MNT only get paid when they play.

But let’s not let facts get in the way...
                              What facts was I letting get in the way? I made a proposal.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

I hear ya...

One thing is that officiating in ALL SPORTS is coming down to the point to where we are milking every bit of information that humans can perceive in real time, but that's not good enough when you look back and go frame by frame with 12x zoom. Video has changed how every single sport has been officiated in the last 10 or so years. Like it or not, Pandora isn't closing the box...
                                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Working...
                                X