Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    I hear ya...

One thing is that officiating in ALL SPORTS is coming down to the point to where we are milking every bit of information that humans can perceive in real time, but that's not good enough when you look back and go frame by frame with 12x zoom. Video has changed how every single sport has been officiated in the last 10 or so years. Like it or not, Pandora isn't closing the box...
    Yeah, but some sports got it right: Tennis. Others got it horribly, horribly wrong: American football

But I fear you're exactly right. Again, I need to find some clouds to yell at or something.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

It might just be me but the goal line thing for the goalie seems like something that should be beyond VAR. It's not something that should require review or be a big enough deal that review is necessary.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
        I hear ya...

One thing is that officiating in ALL SPORTS is coming down to the point to where we are milking every bit of information that humans can perceive in real time, but that's not good enough when you look back and go frame by frame with 12x zoom. Video has changed how every single sport has been officiated in the last 10 or so years. Like it or not, Pandora isn't closing the box...
        Many years before Muad'Dib there was the Butlerian Jihad.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Michel Platini arrested in Paris over a corruption probe into the 2022 World Cup being awarded to Qatar.
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            I didn't see the kick in question , but I 100% agree. Scurry was the worst offender I've seen and that was what? 20 years ago? I would have called her for dam near every one of her attempts. But she was basically at the top of the goal area when the ball was kicked. That's what they should be calling.
            I've always said that last save Scurry made in the famous shootout against China was so blatantly illegal.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
              Michel Platini arrested in Paris over a corruption probe into the 2022 World Cup being awarded to Qatar.
              Not so much arrested as hauled in for questioning.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                I've always said that last save Scurry made in the famous shootout against China was so blatantly illegal.
                Rewatch the whole thing. It's terrible. All of her attempts, not just her saves, were textbook examples that should have been called.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Rewatch the whole thing. It's terrible. All of her attempts, not just her saves, were textbook examples that should have been called.
                  It’s definitely one of the most infamous and egregious examples. I’ve seen it used as an example in training plenty of times.

And yes, every single one of them she is way off the line.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

What's going on right now is a great example of what the expanded WC will lose once they go to 48.

Brazil is beating Italy 1-0.
                    Australia is beating Jamaica 4-1.

Current results have BRA, ITA, and AUS all tied with 6 points, so it comes down to goal differential and total goals. With the changes, you won't even have this situation because only one game will be played, and it sounds like there won't even be draws anymore so it will all be H2H. Though it should probably be H2H now as well, but GD does make it more exciting.
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                      What's going on right now is a great example of what the expanded WC will lose once they go to 48.

Brazil is beating Italy 1-0.
                      Australia is beating Jamaica 4-1.

Current results have BRA, ITA, and AUS all tied with 6 points, so it comes down to goal differential and total goals. With the changes, you won't even have this situation because only one game will be played, and it sounds like there won't even be draws anymore so it will all be H2H. Though it should probably be H2H now as well, but GD does make it more exciting.
                      The 48 team world cup needs to be 12 groups of 4, not 16 groups of 3...3 is just stupid. The unbalanced schedule and not all playing on the last day seems so extremely anticlimactic.

EDIT: And way too many chances for a repeat of the "Disgrace of Gijon"
                      Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 06-18-2019, 03:54 PM.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        The 48 team world cup needs to be 12 groups of 4, not 16 groups of 3...3 is just stupid. The unbalanced schedule and not all playing on the last day seems so extremely anticlimactic.
                        Agreed. I hope they come to a more sensible solution.

Group C finishes with
                        1. Italy, 6 pts, +5 GD, 7 goals scored
                        2. Australia, 6 pts, +3 GD, 8 goals scored
                        3. Brazil, 6 pts, +3 GD, 6 goals scored
                        4. Jamaica, 0 pts, -11, 1 goal scored

Now, imagine if there weren't any third place advancements.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Prediction: People will continue to panic no matter how goals the US scores.

Also: Continued bad “MNT v WNT” takes.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

No one seems to like VAR in the Copa America.

I’d like to watch, but it’s a pain to try. Telemundo isn’t in HD, which could be serviceable, except there are HD bars and then they still shrink the screen further so it’s literally like 40% of the screen.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              Continued bad “MNT v WNT” takes.
                              What are the bad takes? I thought the only comparison was "the MNT would do better if the rest of the world didn't care."
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                What are the bad takes? I thought the only comparison was "the MNT would do better if the rest of the world didn't care."
                                No, there are plenty of people who honestly believe the WNT would beat the MNT.

It’s nothing new, those kind of takes have been around since 99.
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X