Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

Brent last night:

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Proud to be an American...
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

alfa I don't think US/MLS soccer is trying to be something that, "it isn't". Perhaps a few of the team nicknames are goofy ("Real" for instance) but beyond that a lot of US soccer has roots in European & International lineage even today, a lot of fans of soccer in the US first knew of soccer growing up in Latin/South America, Asia and Europe, or their parents did, and there's a healthy dose of first and second generation immigrants in this country and they're spending time, money and energy on the game. I doubt their interest is going to fade just because the NFL and NBA are as big as they are.

Secondly you're wrong that soccer has peaked here - especially on the men's side. I hate the stupid argument of (not saying this is coming from you but...), "US soccer fans keep claiming, "We're coming" and it never happens". Before the WC was held here ('94?) soccer was but a blip on the radar and we hardly ever saw players making it onto the best teams in Europe, and often when they did hardly saw playing time. Now we see players repeatedly flourishing in Europe and MLS is not even 25 years old. They started with 10 teams - soon it will be at 26? TV coverage and attendance are expanding - not regressing.

MLS and soccer for the men are never going to be Top 4 - but I wouldn't put it past being 4a and 4b with the NHL before it's all said and done.

Jim - I've often heard you criticize the role of NCAA soccer on the men's side but not the women's and you've given great detail already why that is so need to rehash that. But are the powers that be at all aware of the differences themselves and are they actively doing anything to change it? Are the club level teams for the boys ever going to get away from stunting creativity which seems to be at the forefront of why the men are so far behind other international powers? Is it the same at lower levels for women and if so only a matter of time before the US' athletic superiority will no longer be enough to keep them the de facto #1 team year in and year out?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          We hear a lot about our forefathers liberating the airports, but often overlooked is the air support provided by the French that was critical to success.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            I like this, is it original?
            It’s from the Magic the Gathering community. People complain about stuff in the game no matter what and it lead to the phrase “Wizards (of the Coast) could put $100 bills in the packs and people would complain about the way they’re folded.”
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              alfa I don't think US/MLS soccer is trying to be something that, "it isn't". Perhaps a few of the team nicknames are goofy ("Real" for instance) but beyond that a lot of US soccer has roots in European & International lineage even today, a lot of fans of soccer in the US first knew of soccer growing up in Latin/South America, Asia and Europe, or their parents did, and there's a healthy dose of first and second generation immigrants in this country and they're spending time, money and energy on the game. I doubt their interest is going to fade just because the NFL and NBA are as big as they are.

Secondly you're wrong that soccer has peaked here - especially on the men's side. I hate the stupid argument of (not saying this is coming from you but...), "US soccer fans keep claiming, "We're coming" and it never happens". Before the WC was held here ('94?) soccer was but a blip on the radar and we hardly ever saw players making it onto the best teams in Europe, and often when they did hardly saw playing time. Now we see players repeatedly flourishing in Europe and MLS is not even 25 years old. They started with 10 teams - soon it will be at 26? TV coverage and attendance are expanding - not regressing.

MLS and soccer for the men are never going to be Top 4 - but I wouldn't put it past being 4a and 4b with the NHL before it's all said and done.
              It always amazes me on some level that people in this country, people who like the game, will go out of their way to trash on MLS. The league learned in about its first ten years that nothing will please these people, the goal posts will always move, and they don’t try to cater to them.

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              Jim - I've often heard you criticize the role of NCAA soccer on the men's side but not the women's and you've given great detail already why that is so need to rehash that. But are the powers that be at all aware of the differences themselves and are they actively doing anything to change it? Are the club level teams for the boys ever going to get away from stunting creativity which seems to be at the forefront of why the men are so far behind other international powers? Is it the same at lower levels for women and if so only a matter of time before the US' athletic superiority will no longer be enough to keep them the de facto #1 team year in and year out?
              The general consensus is that yes, the soccer powers will surpass the US and an overhaul on the women’s side is definitely needed. Problem is, they’re winning so there’s no pressure to do so (also the money that would pay for the changes is going to be forced into the pockets of the current stars, but that’s a different discussion). I honestly don’t know when that moment will be though, it could happen next World Cup (most of the core players are 30 or older) or it could never happen. I thought it would happen this World Cup and was proven dead wrong.

As for the men’s side, things are improving but it’s not gonna happen overnight like most are expecting. The biggest thing is the minor leagues, specifically USL-Championship and USL-1, are getting pretty stable meaning young talent has a place to play in and get some professional experience when they’re 16-18. Things are improving but it takes time.
              I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                Ok, then just give up on trying so hard to be something else, and be US Soccer.
                What is this even supposed to mean? Don't our teams have 11 guys on the field, play on a regulation pitch, and follow the FIFA rulebook? Sounds like soccer to me - everything else is just marketing.
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                  It always amazes me on some level that people in this country, people who like the game, will go out of their way to trash on MLS. The league learned in about its first ten years that nothing will please these people, the goal posts will always move
                  If the goalposts moved I would watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                    Yeah, that’s the biggest takeaway. The US has zero capable forwards at this point.

(And before someone says Sargent, no he’s not good enough)
                    Christian Ramirez should have gotten a full run with this team...he's certainly better than Zardes...
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      Ok, then just give up on trying so hard to be something else, and be US Soccer. If you are going to just dismiss the people who you are trying to get, then it's a doomed effort.

BTW, nice assumption on my MLS view. It's clear that you don't think that casual fans, who watch football sometimes, are worth going after. I had thought otherwise.

I do appreciate that you have given me, and many others, permission to just avoid soccer all together, opening up my time and money. I can concentrate on waiting for the two World Cup tournaments. And be a fair weathered "fan" that purists like to be so mad about.
                      You're a Eurosnob. There is nothing that MLS can do that will ever please you enough to watch regularly, so any time spent trying to get you to watch is wasted.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        Christian Ramirez should have gotten a full run with this team...he's certainly better than Zardes...
                        I know he played in January. It's also possible age could have something to do with it, he is 28.

Edit: Looked at MLS Golden Boot standings. The first Americans are at 7th and that's CJ Sapong and Chris Wondolowski. Fair to say the US has a forward problem.
                        Last edited by Jimjamesak; 07-08-2019, 05:43 PM.
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

The numbers are in:
                          2018 Men's World Cup Final - 11.4 million viewers/8.3 rating
                          2019 Women's World Cup Final - 14.3 million viewers/10.0 rating

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            The numbers are in:
                            Pretty sure it was the same everywhere else, but MANY places opened up early in the Twin Cities for viewing parties and such. At my local "corner store" (read: brewery) we had a couple dozen people show up specifically for the game.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                              The numbers are in:
                              Local team outdraws remote teams. News at 11.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                                Local team outdraws remote teams. News at 11.

France vs Netherlands draws what in the US 0.0002
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X