Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
    He was no good in the middle pretty much his whole time with the Loons, and if he can't recognize that I'm even more surprised by the fact he continues to be a first choice for the Costa Rica national team.
    I suppose it speaks to the lack of depth in some positions these smaller nations have, even when they have a moderately strong team overall.
    I think he's quite capable as a LCB in a 3-man backline (you have to want to play that style)...but he ranges too far forward for my liking without much interest in recovering after a turnover.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
      He was no good in the middle pretty much his whole time with the Loons, and if he can't recognize that I'm even more surprised by the fact he continues to be a first choice for the Costa Rica national team.
      I suppose it speaks to the lack of depth in some positions these smaller nations have, even when they have a moderately strong team overall.
      He could also be covered by other players in the lineup or just a formation/tactical set that covers his particular style.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        He could also be covered by other players in the lineup or just a formation/tactical set that covers his particular style.
        That's clearly what it is with Costa Rica.

His issues are more than just being too eager to get forward. He's simply not that great at defending. He gets lost too often even when coming from a position of good team shape. He gets beat too often inside the 18. And his decisions while defending 1v1 don't always make sense.

I'm not saying he's a *terrible* player. He does well when he gets forward and as a spot-fill on the back line you could definitely do worse. But when you are counting on him to be the anchor of your defense you are going to have problems, and on a team like mnu there is much more value in an OB who is strong defensively than one who gives you an attacking threat.

Comment

What a night at Anfield...
          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

What's a 0-3 deficit to the Liverpool red sox?!?!
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Barcelona didn’t learn from AC Milan...
              I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

The first round of the US Open Cup is being played tonight and last night. With it being broadcast on ESPN+ it has been an interesting look at some of the amateur, semi-pro, and low division pro teams in the US.
                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

The first round of the US Open Cup is being played tonight and last night. With it being broadcast on ESPN+ it has been an interesting look at some of the amateur, semi-pro, and low division pro teams in the US.
                  Is this the real first round or just the first one after professional clubs get added in?

How do they do that, anyway? It's not like every team in the country automatically qualifies, right -- that would be thousands? Is there some sort of registration filter for amateur clubs like you have to have won an accredited tournament or league or something?

Edit: from the Wikipedia article it looks like it is very tightly controlled. There are no "Cinderella stories." Disappointed but not surprised.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 05-09-2019, 12:07 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    Is this the real first round or just the first one after professional clubs get added in?

How do they do that, anyway? It's not like every team in the country automatically qualifies, right -- that would be thousands? Is there some sort of registration filter for amateur clubs like you have to have won an accredited tournament or league or something?

Edit: from the Wikipedia article it looks like it is very tightly controlled. There are no "Cinderella stories." Disappointed but not surprised.
                    This is the real first round. The rest is qualifying for amateur clubs, of which 8 qualify for this round along with 14 NPSL, 10 USL2, 6 USL1 teams to get here. Anyone under the "Local Qualifiers" has the chance to be a cinderella. 5 of them one their 1st round match.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Keep in mind that USL-2 (formerly the PDL) and NPSL are not professional leagues. The NPSL has a few clubs that do pay their players but for the most part the teams are the equivalent of College Summer Baseball teams, amateur teams with college kids.

The Open Cup is “tightly controlled” because of the costs involved. Teams have forfeited games in the past because they couldn’t afford the travel. And that’s even with using a highly regionalized structure. The USSF reimburses teams but even then it still happens.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        This is the real first round. The rest is qualifying for amateur clubs, of which 8 qualify for this round along with 14 NPSL, 10 USL2, 6 USL1 teams to get here. Anyone under the "Local Qualifiers" has the chance to be a cinderella. 5 of them one their 1st round match.
                        But it's not a real "open" where, far enough in advance, no matter who you are, if you keep winning you keep advancing. There are only 60-or-something slots and they're divied up and assigned.

I was thinking this was like the FA Cup, where nearly a thousand clubs compete (scaling for the US that would be over 10,000). That would be cool. 15 rounds would be 32k teams. That should cover every adult soccer team in the US and let the guys from the local bar beat the Timbers on penalties.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 05-09-2019, 02:27 PM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

But it's not a real "open" where, far enough in advance, no matter who you are, if you keep winning you keep advancing. There are only 60-or-something slots and they're divied up and assigned.

I was thinking this was like the FA Cup, where nearly a thousand clubs compete (scaling for the US that would be over 10,000). That would be cool. 15 rounds would be 32k teams. That should cover every adult soccer team in the US and let the guys from the local bar beat the Timbers on penalties.
                          The FA Cup has qualifying rounds too ya know.

Any registered club in the US can enter and go through the qualifying process.

Edit: the FA Cup has only 32 non-League clubs in the proper tournament. Only 736 teams entered.
                          Last edited by Jimjamesak; 05-09-2019, 02:37 PM.
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

The 14 spots for NPSL came from the 94 teams in that league
                            The 10 spots from USL2 came from the 72 teams in that league (67 are potentially eligible, 5 are Canadian)
                            The 5 spots from USL1 came from the 10 teams in that league (9 are potentially eligible, 1 is Canadian)
                            The 25 spots from USLC came from the 32 teams in that league (35 are potentially eligible, 1 is Canadian)
                            The 8 Local Qualifier spots included the 2018 National Amateur Champion (Milwaukee) and 7 local qualifiers from four regions including 94 teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              The 14 spots for NPSL came from the 94 teams in that league
                              The 10 spots from USL2 came from the 72 teams in that league (67 are potentially eligible, 5 are Canadian)
                              The 5 spots from USL1 came from the 10 teams in that league (9 are potentially eligible, 1 is Canadian)
                              The 25 spots from USLC came from the 32 teams in that league (35 are potentially eligible, 1 is Canadian)
                              The 8 Local Qualifier spots included the 2018 National Amateur Champion (Milwaukee) and 7 local qualifiers from four regions including 94 teams.
                              One note, lower league clubs that are affiliated with a higher league club are not allowed to enter the Open Cup, that’s why three teams in USL-1 didn’t enter (Orlando B, North Texas, and FC Tucson) and bunch in USL-Championship.
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

One note, lower league clubs that are affiliated with a higher league club are not allowed to enter the Open Cup, that’s why three teams in USL-1 didn’t enter (Orlando B, North Texas, and FC Tucson) and bunch in USL-Championship.
                                what is the distinction between North Texas and Madison?

Comment

Working...
                                X