Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Im good with scoring 100 goals and celebrating all of them. This is professional teams, not little league.
    Except most of them aren't. Outside of North America and Europe, very few of the players would be considered professional, unless you think belong paid all of a couple hundred bucks per year qualifies you.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
      Except most of them aren't. Outside of North America and Europe, very few of the players would be considered professional, unless you think belong paid all of a couple hundred bucks per year qualifies you.
      Great. Dont enter the world cup then. You cant be both things. Either your playing with the big teams and take whats coming or stay home and save your feelings from being hurt.
      PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
        Great. Dont enter the world cup then. You cant be both things. Either your playing with the big teams and take whats coming or stay home and save your feelings from being hurt.
        Well, FWIW, I dont think Thailand is the one taking issue with it.

Personally, I dont have a problem with a team celebrating like that or piling up the goals where GD plays such a key role in the tournament.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
          Well, FWIW, I dont think Thailand is the one taking issue with it.

Personally, I dont have a problem with a team celebrating like that or piling up the goals where GD plays such a key role in the tournament.
          Again, it's not the scoring, it's the excessive celebration. It's as stupid as the football players who do dance around after a sack when they're losing 42-0 or a basketball payer celebrating a dunk in garbage time.

Comment

• Re: World Soccer XXIX: Pro/Rel USA! just kidding!

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
            It's not about Thailand being hurt, it's about not looking like a bunch of assholes.

Comment

Cameroon have never given up a second half goal in World Cup history. 1-1 at the half.

ETA: Scratch that
              Oranje 2
              Cameroon 1

Comment

Cameroon inches away from tying the score. Minutes later the European Champions put the game away with a goal in the 85th. 3-1 Oranje

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  It's not about Thailand being hurt, it's about not looking like a bunch of assholes.
                  Im still good with it. Its entertainment. So do whatever.

Once you reach the level where sports is about TV money (any sport). Celebrate as much and as often as you want.
                  PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                  Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                  NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Netherlands becomes the latest team to advance now.
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Canada and New Zealand play to a scoreless draw for the first half. A Canada win gets them through. Christine Sinclair is still on 181 goals, three behind Abby Wambach.

Comment

Oh Canada! 1-0 after Fleming finishes a break.

ETA: And then Sinclair bottles a sitter. Ouch.

Comment

Sinclair heads one off the post and Prince is there for the rebound. 2-0 the final. Canada advance.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                            Again, it's not the scoring, it's the excessive celebration. It's as stupid as the football players who do dance around after a sack when they're losing 42-0 or a basketball payer celebrating a dunk in garbage time.
                            And again, I don't have a problem with it. It's the World Cup. I would, of course, wished they had celebrated a bit less, but I also would rather have them celebrate like they did as opposed to not celebrate at all.

I also think you're discounting goal differential. The US has lost to Sweden in 2 of the last 4 major tournaments (2011 World Cup and 2016 Olympics), and drew with them at the 2015 World Cup. The winner of the group could very well come down to goal differential. As a result, it is actually quite different than celebrating a sack or dunk in garbage time. Those goals could be the difference between winning the group and finishing second.
                            North Dakota
                            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                              And again, I don't have a problem with it. It's the World Cup. I would, of course, wished they had celebrated a bit less, but I also would rather have them celebrate like they did as opposed to not celebrate at all.

I also think you're discounting goal differential. The US has lost to Sweden in 2 of the last 4 major tournaments (2011 World Cup and 2016 Olympics), and drew with them at the 2015 World Cup. The winner of the group could very well come down to goal differential. As a result, it is actually quite different than celebrating a sack or dunk in garbage time. Those goals could be the difference between winning the group and finishing second.
                              agreed, my perception of all of this changes drastically if this is the third game and GD doesn't mean anything at all.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

The kick is up...and it is good. Mexico 7-0 in the 81st.

Canada Day concluded with a 4-0 win over Martinique earlier.

Comment

Working...
                                X